Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 51,711 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any problems with the GPS on the captivate?

Tip us?

MFister
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Any problems with the GPS on the captivate?

Hi Guys,

I've been hearing about lots of problems with the GPS not picking up low SNR satellites and the GPS being wildly inaccurate on the samsung vibrant and also the euro variants of the galaxy s.

Does the captivate have the same issue?

ALDEJESUS
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Its true. I bought it on sunday an notice that issue. Hope there will be a update(Bug fix) soon.

tdusen
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Compare to my G1, the Captivate take about the same time to lock and GPStest says the SNR is better. I'm happy with it.

Citznfish
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFister View Post
Hi Guys,

I've been hearing about lots of problems with the GPS not picking up low SNR satellites and the GPS being wildly inaccurate on the samsung vibrant and also the euro variants of the galaxy s.

Does the captivate have the same issue?
Define Wildly inaccurate. On my Captivate it is dead on (within 9 feet)

Jreitnauer7
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am having major problems with GPS. I am getting a lock but only within 50-75 feet. It isn't good at all. The GPS is slow to update and throws me everywhere.

I amthinking of returning the phone if Samsung doesn't make an announcement about s fix for this.

Smalls2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
dial this from your phone:

*#*#1472365#*#*

Change startup from hot to cold.....worked for me. GPS locks much much faster
Samsung Captivate

lonestarmotorcyclist
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What are the settings on your phone Citznfish? My phone is off by anywhere from 100-500ft. Thanks!

lonestarmotorcyclist
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ok, I tried it again... In the house I'm about 500 ft off from where I really am and placed in a golf fairway. Outside I am FURTHER off: I'd estimate at least 5 blocks and placed in the middle of a different golf fairway. For comparision sake, my wife's iPhone 3Gs has her within 10-20' while inside the house. To me, this is unacceptable and a great cause for concern. What can I do???

rajsharma714
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls2 View Post
dial this from your phone:

*#*#1472365#*#*

Change startup from hot to cold.....worked for me. GPS locks much much faster
I'm having the same problem here. My iPhone 3GS GPS responded way quicker then this phone does. I have a Weather Channel widget up, and it doesn't find the location to display the weather for a good minute and a half after. Same goes for using Google Maps to find my location. Lot of times it says, "Your location is unavailable." I even tried switching the startup from hot to cold, and that didn't have much effect either.

When I was driving today, the GPS locator had a bad lag in it, I would be down two blocks before it would catch up, and I live in a 3G area, and not a giant city like NY or something.

I wonder if it's because it's so bloated with Samsung UI on it, or if it's just the a bug. Either way, if I'm still having issues with it, I'll see if AT&T will exchange it out for a different one. Otherwise back to the 3GS, which I really don't want to do since I'm loving Android right now.

skizzz
Old
Thanks Meter 11
What does hot start and cold start do?