NOOBZ: The EASY guide to rooting your Aria and Installing Attn1's ROM (Win XP/Vista)
Like some of you, i'm an absolute newbie to Android. But after a week of reading and scrolling through many webpages and forums. i finally got the nerve to Root my Aria and install Attn1's ROM because i was tired of the auto-start of ATT's bloatware and random restarting of those apps that i had to constantly check and kill with Advanced Task Killer (ATK..in the Market).
and yes i've actually seen a slight increase in my batter life after. (on at 6am..average txting, heavy web surfing, and minimal Market browsing...69% by 2pm)
so here's the step by step guide without having to go through the many pages of the forums...
** To Root your Aria and Clockwork Mod
1. go to http://unrevoked.com
, choose your Aria phone, and click the download file. save and extract into a easy to remember directory on your computer.
2. go to http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/do...driver_install
and follow the instructions to install HBOOT
3. go to HTC's website and download and install HTC Sync. Yes it's been said it messes up the process. slightly not true. you're only gonna install it so that the proper ADB drivers are installed that Unrevoked Rooting tool needs to access your phone. as soon as it installs...uninstall it. it will leave the proper ADB required drivers behind. (it took me hours and finally wading through 6 pages worth of forum posts to find this out..so i'm saving you the trouble)
4. now on your phone..click Menu > Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > and select Charge Only
5. go back to Settings > Applications > Development > and check USB Debugging
6. now start UnRevoked (c:\directory you chose\reflash.exe)
7. gray wide window with UnRevoked's logo and a "waiting for device" type message under it. now plug in your Aria via USB to the computer. sit back and watch the magic. 5mins (or less) later and you will have a Rooted phone with Clockwork mod.
**now that your Aria is rooted you can install Attn1's ATT bloatware free Rom.
1. go to Menu > Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > and select Disk Drive
2. go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=708434
and decide which beta version you want to use. I chose B003 since it's the one folks have the least issues with and the cleanest one that hasn't changed too much about the stock rom. download and save the file to your SD Card. i chose the Download folder to make it easy to find.
3. now turn off your phone. hold down the Volume Down button and press the Power button. you should see the standard Fastboot menu with the lil droid guys on skateboards on the bottom. press the volume down button until "recovery" is highlighted. hit the Power button to select it. you'll see the HTC logo as if it's booting and the clockwork mod screen (black background with green text) that you were left at with the Unrevoked tool.
4. using the volume down button select Nandroid > Backup. i'm not quite sure but i think this backups all your settings of the current stock Rom. *advanced users correct me if i'm wrong*. all i know is you NEED to do this. it was stressed in most forums.
give it a couple minutes and the process should finish.
5. now select Install Zip from SD Card. Use the volume buttons and Power button (select) and navigate to Attn1's Rom zip file. select it. don't let the warning scare you too much. his Rom is LEGIT and 110% working
select yes and watch the quick install process.
few minutes later you should be up and running just fine.
6. if it reboots and you hear some pleasant chimes/dings and no ATT 3G boot up or loud WOOSH animation..you've installed his Rom just fine and all your previous settings as if nothing's changed
yes the HTC Quietly Brilliant will be on your screen for a little while since there is no secondary boot animation. don't worry.
credits go to attn1
and quickness to get this clean rom up
***EDIT: July 26, 2010 ***
just wanted to thank everyone for the compliments and glad this was able to help ease the pain of rooting your Aria and installing a custom ROM.
many thanks for the compliments
Current: Nokia Lumia 920
w/ AU Unbranded Black update ROM
RIP - iPhone5
RIP - Samsung Focus
- Windows Phone 7 (ATT) w/ nodo update
RIP - HTC Aria
- (rooted, Liberated FR001, Sense 2.2 Froyo Rom)
Makes me glad i switched to Windows Phone 8....
Google's Android malware shoots upto 400 percent