NOOBZ: The EASY guide to rooting your Aria and Installing Attn1's ROM (Win XP/Vista)

Search This thread

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
Hi guys,

I'm stuck here , any clue ?

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Waited 10min and nothing !

Should I reboot , to see if I did fine ?

RavenZwei

Jul 21, 2010
Northern Virginia Area
First, I would like to say thank you for this post. I'd been looking over and over the root guides I had found, and, while it seemed easy enough, I just wasn't grasping it for some reason. One look through your guide here, and I knew exactly what I was doing.

I am running into an issue at this point though. On step two, when I follow the guide to install HBOOT, I get an error when I try to update the drivers. Specifically it says...

Windows for driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Android Bootloader Interface

A problem was encountered while attempting to add the drive to the store.

Any ideas on how to get passed this point? Possible fixes?

asiancuta

Feb 24, 2010
Georgia
Hi guys,

I'm stuck here , any clue ?

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Waited 10min and nothing !

Should I reboot , to see if I did fine ?

not quite sure. never ran into that message. if all else fails, unplug your phone and restart the process if needed. as long as you followed the instructions to install the HBOOT drivers to the T, and you installed than uninstalled HTC Sync, the whole process should run smoothly.

not an expert on this whole android thing and not quite sure. :\

asiancuta

Feb 24, 2010
Georgia
First, I would like to say thank you for this post. I'd been looking over and over the root guides I had found, and, while it seemed easy enough, I just wasn't grasping it for some reason. One look through your guide here, and I knew exactly what I was doing.

I am running into an issue at this point though. On step two, when I follow the guide to install HBOOT, I get an error when I try to update the drivers. Specifically it says...

Windows for driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Android Bootloader Interface

A problem was encountered while attempting to add the drive to the store.

Any ideas on how to get passed this point? Possible fixes?

not quite with this either. :\ make sure you installed HBOOT usb drivers completely to the T with the instructions provided by Unrevoked's website, by checking with the method near the end of their steps.

if anything...restart this whole process step by step, is the best i can tell you.
i just only gathered what i got from the forums, did the process, and when everything worked fine for me, i placed the process in this post exactly how i went through with it.

hopefully one of the regs/experts can help.

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
Fustraded !

This is so fustrating ! :D

When unrevoked message > waiting for boot appears ! The phone does reboot but it continues to load the OS ..
I would expect to stay @ bootloader "flashing" because the next unrevoked message its > flashing recovery image . Do not touch your Phone .. 7 mins later nothing happens , and message stays there ! and the phone OS is UP !

What am I missing here ? :(

All drivers are fine ! all settings good , CHARGE ONLY , DEBUG , etc !
Tried with two dif PC's , with two dif cables ! dif USB ports, and same results ...

EDIT : 24hrs later ... I HAVE ROOT ! this was PAINFULL !

Last edited:

Aphox

Jul 15, 2010
HTC Sync w/rooted Aria?

I'm about to start rooting my Aria but I wanted to know first if:

Will I still be able to use HTC Sync to install apps onto my Aria once its rooted?

I know that I'll be able to install apps through other means but I really like the convenience of using the Sideloader version of HTC Sync to install them.

Rudreax

Jul 20, 2010
You can use HTC Sync afterward to sideload apps to the phone. It would be great if someone else can confirm this as well.

It's obvious, but I guess I'll add that this method works with Windows 7 as well.

elbywan_kenobe

Feb 24, 2009
Lexington, Ky
Ropted and flashed Attn1's 03 ROM a few hrs ago, great stuff. Smooth as ever. Thanks much for the easy walk-through. I just came from an HTC Fuze. This is ten times better.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using XDA App

Jul 14, 2010
This is so fustrating ! :D

When unrevoked message > waiting for boot appears ! The phone does reboot but it continues to load the OS ..
I would expect to stay @ bootloader "flashing" because the next unrevoked message its > flashing recovery image . Do not touch your Phone .. 7 mins later nothing happens , and message stays there ! and the phone OS is UP !

What am I missing here ? :(

All drivers are fine ! all settings good , CHARGE ONLY , DEBUG , etc !
Tried with two dif PC's , with two dif cables ! dif USB ports, and same results ...

EDIT : 24hrs later ... I HAVE ROOT ! this was PAINFULL !

What did you do to finally get it to work?

Freshtojeff

Jul 21, 2010
Thanks! Im going to be getting my Aria this morning (finally) Hopefully I dont run to any problems using windows 7.

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
What did you do to finally get it to work?

Unistalled everything related to drivers , or adb stuff !

Downloaded fresh drivers from SDK , I think the problem was : using an older SDK version ( that I used with my Nexus One ) !

ps. I never used the HTC Sync drivers , to make this work !

Took me so long ( 1 day ) to make this work ... :D

asiancuta

Feb 24, 2010
Georgia
Unistalled everything related to drivers , or adb stuff !

Downloaded fresh drivers from SDK , I think the problem was : using an older SDK version ( that I used with my Nexus One ) !

ps. I never used the HTC Sync drivers , to make this work !

Took me so long ( 1 day ) to make this work ... :D

glad to see you finally figured it out :)

Stern Panda

Jul 23, 2010
Managed to root but unable to flash the rom from the sd card. Tried both liberated_aria_b003_signed.zip and liberated_aria_b005_signed.zip

Followed the steps and after:

"5. now select Install Zip from SD Card. Use the volume buttons and Power button (select) and navigate to Attn1's Rom zip file. select it. don't let the warning scare you too much. his Rom is LEGIT and 110% working select yes and watch the quick install process."

The process only lasts a few seconds after I confirm that I want to install then I get returned to the ClockworkMod's main menu with no joy. I've retraced the steps but seem to be too close to see what I am missing.

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
Managed to root but unable to flash the rom from the sd card. Tried both liberated_aria_b003_signed.zip and liberated_aria_b005_signed.zip

Followed the steps and after:

"5. now select Install Zip from SD Card. Use the volume buttons and Power button (select) and navigate to Attn1's Rom zip file. select it. don't let the warning scare you too much. his Rom is LEGIT and 110% working select yes and watch the quick install process."

The process only lasts a few seconds after I confirm that I want to install then I get returned to the ClockworkMod's main menu with no joy. I've retraced the steps but seem to be too close to see what I am missing.

Turn off
Take out the battery
Put it back ! :D ( so obvious )
Boot @ recovery and continue the steps from there !
Good luck bro ...

rocky814

May 12, 2008
St. Louis
First off, thanks for this method. I am quite pleases to have a phone that can do wireless tethering.

I am currently experiencing one issue with the digital compass. Before rooting and doing the attn1 time it worked great. Now it seems to only point south. I have tried b005, b003, the rooted shipped and even doing the full restore through nandroid. I tried the figure 8 calibration, but that seemed to only get me another 20 degrees in either direction.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC Liberty using XDA App

Stern Panda

Jul 23, 2010
Turn off
Take out the battery
Put it back ! :D ( so obvious )
Boot @ recovery and continue the steps from there !
Good luck bro ...

Thanks for the response! This wasn't the problem, unfortunately.

When I was downloading the rom files on my mac it would automatically unzip them. I was recompressing them and putting them on the sd card but it must have left them unrecognizable to the phone for some reason. I downloaded them through win7/parallels and then moved them to the sd card and voila!

Thanks to everyone! I am looking forward to many rom flashes now!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like some of you, i'm an absolute newbie to Android. But after a week of reading and scrolling through many webpages and forums. i finally got the nerve to Root my Aria and install Attn1's ROM because i was tired of the auto-start of ATT's bloatware and random restarting of those apps that i had to constantly check and kill with Advanced Task Killer (ATK..in the Market).
    and yes i've actually seen a slight increase in my batter life after. (on at 6am..average txting, heavy web surfing, and minimal Market browsing...69% by 2pm)

so here's the step by step guide without having to go through the many pages of the forums...

** To Root your Aria and Clockwork Mod

1. go to http://unrevoked.com, choose your Aria phone, and click the download file. save and extract into a easy to remember directory on your computer.

2. go to http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php?id=public:windows_hboot_driver_install and follow the instructions to install HBOOT

3. go to HTC's website and download and install HTC Sync. Yes it's been said it messes up the process. slightly not true. you're only gonna install it so that the proper ADB drivers are installed that Unrevoked Rooting tool needs to access your phone. as soon as it installs...uninstall it. it will leave the proper ADB required drivers behind. (it took me hours and finally wading through 6 pages worth of forum posts to find this out..so i'm saving you the trouble)

4. now on your phone..click Menu > Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > and select Charge Only

5. go back to Settings > Applications > Development > and check USB Debugging

6. now start UnRevoked (c:\directory you chose\reflash.exe)

7. gray wide window with UnRevoked's logo and a "waiting for device" type message under it. now plug in your Aria via USB to the computer. sit back and watch the magic. 5mins (or less) later and you will have a Rooted phone with Clockwork mod.

**now that your Aria is rooted you can install Attn1's ATT bloatware free Rom.

1. go to Menu > Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > and select Disk Drive

2. go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=708434 and decide which beta version you want to use. I chose B003 since it's the one folks have the least issues with and the cleanest one that hasn't changed too much about the stock rom. download and save the file to your SD Card. i chose the Download folder to make it easy to find.

3. now turn off your phone. hold down the Volume Down button and press the Power button. you should see the standard Fastboot menu with the lil droid guys on skateboards on the bottom. press the volume down button until "recovery" is highlighted. hit the Power button to select it. you'll see the HTC logo as if it's booting and the clockwork mod screen (black background with green text) that you were left at with the Unrevoked tool.

4. using the volume down button select Nandroid > Backup. i'm not quite sure but i think this backups all your settings of the current stock Rom. *advanced users correct me if i'm wrong*. all i know is you NEED to do this. it was stressed in most forums.
    give it a couple minutes and the process should finish.

5. now select Install Zip from SD Card. Use the volume buttons and Power button (select) and navigate to Attn1's Rom zip file. select it. don't let the warning scare you too much. his Rom is LEGIT and 110% working :) select yes and watch the quick install process.
    few minutes later you should be up and running just fine.

6. if it reboots and you hear some pleasant chimes/dings and no ATT 3G boot up or loud WOOSH animation..you've installed his Rom just fine and all your previous settings as if nothing's changed :) yes the HTC Quietly Brilliant will be on your screen for a little while since there is no secondary boot animation. don't worry.

credits go to attn1 and quickness to get this clean rom up :)

***EDIT: July 26, 2010 ***
    just wanted to thank everyone for the compliments and glad this was able to help ease the pain of rooting your Aria and installing a custom ROM.
    many thanks for the compliments
    :D
    Ok I got it rooted but where are the rom downloads the link provided in the first post just takes you to a forum talking about all that stuff and has 3 download links to the newer releases I was wanting to get b003 since the op posted that it is the one people have the least problems with.

hey OP here. sorry that this is so outdated now. it's been many Attn1's Roms since this was first written and i work a full time job a part time at night so i have little time to keep up with this post i had started.
    glad to see there are still helpful folks on this forum that won't bite your head off for the newb questions :)
    So if I wanted to install liberated fr008 would I just put the zip file on my phone as I did with R012 and go through the same steps?

Yes, you would follow the same process.
    Should I do another backup or is the other backup still good to go? By the way thanks man you have been awesome about helping me out

You only need to do another backup if you want to save your Liberated R012 install for any reason. The backup files get unique names by default, so it isn't like this backup will over-write your original backup of the Aria ROM.
    I'm trying this at the moment. All was going well until now, and I'm beginning to get scared about my lovely Aria!

I'm trying to install zip from sdcard. It gets as far as

Copying files...
    E:Can't chown/mod /system/bin/run-as
    (No such file or directory)
    E:Failure at line 11:
    set_perm 0 2000 06750 SYSTEM:bin/run-as
    Installation aborted

When I hit go back from here the phone freezes and I end up having to take the battery out to reboot in recovery again.

I was getting a line 3 error, but I got round that by moving the zip file from the Downloads part of the sd card into the main menu.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I'm getting nervous.

ps: i've been reading that it might be because the USB cable was plugged in. but i have also tried without, and no luck.

Which version of Aria are you attempting this on? AT&T branded or an unbranded? If it is an unbranded version, have you installed the OTA update to Froyo 2.2? If so there is currently no way to root your Aria.

If it is an AT&T branded Aria, then make sure that HTC Sync is not running in the system tray when you are attempting to run Unrevoked.