Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 49,457 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] NoLED v6.0.19 - Use the AMOLED screen for incoming notifications

Tip us?

Nelthalin
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I'm currently testing battery drain.
I'm getting the feeling white icons are causing high drain (not strange because you need multiple leds active to make that color)

Test setup:
Stock Rom + Abyssnote 3.7 Kernel
CPU UV 1600 MHz 1350mv max - 100 825mv min

noLED on with:
-grey clock Jumping arround the screen (quite big, bit bigger then medium icons but its only grey tekst (build in clock))
-Call missed dot in upper left corner
-noLED Weather on jumping arround the screen.

I currently have a drain of 1% every 6-7 min.

With only a Call missed dot in upper left corner and a SMS icon it seemed to be less. But i will test that tonight.

But this kind of drain is to much over night. It will your battery very fast: 9-10% every hour. And thats with only one icon with white in it (its mostly white with blue and a bit of yellow because if the weather. It has some white teskt next to it with the city name and temperature) and some tekst on the screen from the weather info and the grey clock.

But i will try to do some extra testing so see what causes drain. I dont like to use timeouts but maybe i can minimize it by using other icons.

madmack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4358

DONATE TO ME
Raymond,

can you test this debug version, replicate the issue and then send me the logcat? Preferably on pastebin.com

It's driving me crazy, lol. but this version I'm sending out is filled with debug messages that should give me a clearer picture.
Attached Files
File Type: apk NoLED-5.0.7b-debug.apk - [Click for QR Code] (792.7 KB, 3 views)

Nelthalin
Old
(Last edited by Nelthalin; 8th February 2012 at 06:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 41
Ok i did some extra tests:

Test2:
Disable noLED Weather. Result: 1% drain in 7-8 min. In 62min i lost 9% battery

Test3: Disable clock only a big missed call icon (largest). Result: Still 1% in 7-8 min. i again lost 9% battery in 60 min of testing

Test4: only a small dot in the upper left corner. Result: Again the same 1% in 7-8 min and lost 9% battery in 60 min of testing

So it seems it does not matter much how much of the screen is on.

What i also noticed when i was in the dark and had the small dot in the upper right corner that the whole screen lit up a bit. When i moved my hand over the proximity sensor it went to complete black.

So its not local the whole screen is still lighting up a little bit.

I checked the screen that should be inside a Galaxy Note: It said it was a Super-Amoled HD. A new version of the Super Amoled. And not the Super Amoled Plus technique that is used in the SII

I dont know if that makes a difference but when you use noLED you will keep having a drain of 7% per hour (in case of a Galaxy Note). Maybe a little bit more depending on your settings

Btw i checked my idle drain and thats 0-1% per hour. so its less then one 1%

Edit:
I'm now testing the blinking option. It turns the screen on for 0,5 / 1 second every 8 seconds. Maybe that will lower the power consumption.
I already noticed it sometimes fails to keep the interval regular. Sometimes it stay's off a bit longer and after that it goes on and off within 2 seconds for 2 times. When i look in the dark the screen is completely off during that 8 sec interval. If it lowers the drain to 2-3% per hour i'm happy.

Edit2:
I did the test: screen on 0,5 sec screen off 10 sec. Battery drain 1% per +- 20-22 min battery was down 2% in 44 minutes. So i will be using these settings in the future maybe a little bit faster interval but for the rest its working like a charm. A real improvement.

Edit3:
One more thing. I used the lowest brightness setting in the battery saving menu for all my tests. Its more then bright enough like that. And with auto the default brightness is higher then the lowest setting even when its dark in the room. So i decided to use a fixed setting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelthalin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ewillner
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmack View Post
I'm at a point of no return to the old inefficient method of displaying notifications given the rewrite in v5.x and above. I disagree fundamentally that I should write code that specifically makes NoLED work with some lock screens and leave out some others that don't expose any APIs. The right way of doing this is in a global solution that works universally, not one that patches the code for certain locker apps.
I would like to thank you from the recent modification to NoLED that enables the "no lockscreen" mode. I reluctantly stopped using NoLED because I hated having to unlock all the time. I tried a number of "nolock" type apps, but none were as smooth as I wanted. So, I reluctantly used a second rate substitute for NoLED.

I was overjoyed to see that you had rewritten NoLED so that a lockscreen was not required. Perhaps this feature will case some challenges, but it is definitely welcome.

RaymondPJR
Old
(Last edited by RaymondPJR; 8th February 2012 at 02:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 650
Default NoLED

Quote:
I really want to fix this issue that you're having. Can you tell me which version did this problem start occurring with?

Thing is, I've setup my phone to use permanent time display, and I also put in the audio reminder just as you've done. My log looks exactly like yours and the time displays correctly without disappearing. This is on my device and on the emulator. It seems that NoLED on your phone is getting dismissed manually as I see no trace of "automatic dismissal" by my own code. I'm starting to suspect a task killer/manager might be the culprit here. Are you using any such app? I think this task killer terminates apps if the screen is off and given that NoLED (starting from v5.0) starts the notification screen before switching the screen on, the task manager might be terminating it.

Is this happening with all types of notifications or with permanent time only?
It started with 5.0.5. I have been reverting back to 5.0.3b and the problem always goes away. One thing I noticed was that my weather widget was not updating. I noticed it was always saying 40 degrees and realized that was not correct. I can't say for sure, but I wonder if the newer versions somehow turn off the weather sync and maybe that's why it kept waking up. I flashed to a new version of my ROM last night, but I'll push install 5.0.7 again to see what happens. I have no task killers of any kind.

EDIT: Nope, it has nothing to do with the weather widget. I re-installed 5.0.6, manually updated the weather, and it is cycling as I write this. I'll install the other version you posted just above before I do a necessary wipe install of my ROM tonight. Have to find out what pastebin is first, though, lol.

EDIT: I'm letting it cycle right now. I have pastebin.com open and ready. I have named it Madmack 5.0.7b.debug in advance. I also sent myself an email to see if it will come through and if the same behaviour is exhibited. Can't wait for something to show up, lol.

EDIT: Interesting, I have the Gmail app set to poll every 5 minutes for new emails. I'm past that time interval right now and nothing is showing up as it cycles. On 5.0.3b, which I was using all day today, I got several Gmails and several calls, no problem. I'll wait two more minutes then send the logcat.

EDIT: 6:42 Pacific time, done!
When the spell is over... we will rediscover... there is no other... we are one, we are one, we are one... --Ajamu Mutima

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: T-Mobile
Rom: Stock UVALH2 + Root
Modem: UVLI4
UI: Apex Launcher
Storage: 32GB Class 6
"I know you want to touch it and feel the awesomeness in your hand, but don't." (Taken out of context)-XDA Member Dammit2Hell on proper procedure after flashing Nero V4

madmack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4358

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelthalin View Post
Ok i did some extra tests:

Test2:
Disable noLED Weather. Result: 1% drain in 7-8 min. In 62min i lost 9% battery

Test3: Disable clock only a big missed call icon (largest). Result: Still 1% in 7-8 min. i again lost 9% battery in 60 min of testing

Test4: only a small dot in the upper left corner. Result: Again the same 1% in 7-8 min and lost 9% battery in 60 min of testing

So it seems it does not matter much how much of the screen is on.

What i also noticed when i was in the dark and had the small dot in the upper right corner that the whole screen lit up a bit. When i moved my hand over the proximity sensor it went to complete black.

So its not local the whole screen is still lighting up a little bit.

I checked the screen that should be inside a Galaxy Note: It said it was a Super-Amoled HD. A new version of the Super Amoled. And not the Super Amoled Plus technique that is used in the SII

I dont know if that makes a difference but when you use noLED you will keep having a drain of 7% per hour (in case of a Galaxy Note). Maybe a little bit more depending on your settings

Btw i checked my idle drain and thats 0-1% per hour. so its less then one 1%

Edit:
I'm now testing the blinking option. It turns the screen on for 0,5 / 1 second every 8 seconds. Maybe that will lower the power consumption.
I already noticed it sometimes fails to keep the interval regular. Sometimes it stay's off a bit longer and after that it goes on and off within 2 seconds for 2 times. When i look in the dark the screen is completely off during that 8 sec interval. If it lowers the drain to 2-3% per hour i'm happy.

Edit2:
I did the test: screen on 0,5 sec screen off 10 sec. Battery drain 1% per +- 20-22 min battery was down 2% in 44 minutes. So i will be using these settings in the future maybe a little bit faster interval but for the rest its working like a charm. A real improvement.
I really appreciate these tests. They're something I didn't take the time to do them properly so thank you.

The SII and S both have the same dimmed back light effect with these supposedly completely black pixels. I actually did learn a thing or two from your tests and that's a solid testimony to Blink's battery savings.

You wouldn't mind if I link to your two posts from NoLED's FAQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewillner View Post
I would like to thank you from the recent modification to NoLED that enables the "no lockscreen" mode. I reluctantly stopped using NoLED because I hated having to unlock all the time. I tried a number of "nolock" type apps, but none were as smooth as I wanted. So, I reluctantly used a second rate substitute for NoLED.

I was overjoyed to see that you had rewritten NoLED so that a lockscreen was not required. Perhaps this feature will case some challenges, but it is definitely welcome.
It is causing a lot of challenges indeed I always wanted to make NoLED work without a lock screen. I just never really invested enough trial and error to get it to behave properly and consistently. I'm still struggling on that front a bit but I'm sure we'll iron out all the problems sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondPJR View Post
It started with 5.0.5. I have been reverting back to 5.0.3b and the problem always goes away. One thing I noticed was that my weather widget was not updating. I noticed it was always saying 40 degrees and realized that was not correct. I can't say for sure, but I wonder if the newer versions somehow turn off the weather sync and maybe that's why it kept waking up. I flashed to a new version of my ROM last night, but I'll push install 5.0.7 again to see what happens. I have no task killers of any kind.

EDIT: Nope, it has nothing to do with the weather widget. I re-installed 5.0.6, manually updated the weather, and it is cycling as I write this. I'll install the other version you posted just above before I do a necessary wipe install of my ROM tonight. Have to find out what pastebin is first, though, lol.

EDIT: I'm letting it cycle right now. I have pastebin.com open and ready. I have named it Madmack 5.0.7b.debug in advance. I also sent myself an email to see if it will come through and if the same behaviour is exhibited. Can't wait for something to show up, lol.

EDIT: Interesting, I have the Gmail app set to poll every 5 minutes for new emails. I'm past that time interval right now and nothing is showing up as it cycles. On 5.0.3b, which I was using all day today, I got several Gmails and several calls, no problem. I'll wait two more minutes then send the logcat.
pastebin is simple really, just go to pastebin.com, paste the content of the log file that you obtain from alogcat, and once you submit, it'll give you a URL. copy that URL to me here.

once i get that, i'll hopefully fix that issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

madmack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4358

DONATE TO ME
Raymond,

are you using the new option in 5.0.4: dismiss charger indicator at 100%? Your last log showed that your phone was fully charged. and I believe there might be a bug where if you have permanent time display come up, the dismiss charger at 100% is actually terminating NoLED's notification screen causing a little nice loop in your case.

my phone is far from 100% now, so I can't really try to replicate this. but yea, lemme know.. or best, gimme the pastebin

RaymondPJR
Old
Thanks Meter 650
Default NoLED

Quote:
Raymond,

are you using the new option in 5.0.4: dismiss charger indicator at 100%? Your last log showed that your phone was fully charged. and I believe there might be a bug where if you have permanent time display come up, the dismiss charger at 100% is actually terminating NoLED's notification screen causing a little nice loop in your case.

my phone is far from 100% now, so I can't really try to replicate this. but yea, lemme know.. or best, gimme the pastebin
Nope that's not it either. It has happened many times when I was not anywhere near 100% and not charging. Anyway, here is the URL: http://pastebin.com/9ffm39ZX
When the spell is over... we will rediscover... there is no other... we are one, we are one, we are one... --Ajamu Mutima

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: T-Mobile
Rom: Stock UVALH2 + Root
Modem: UVLI4
UI: Apex Launcher
Storage: 32GB Class 6
"I know you want to touch it and feel the awesomeness in your hand, but don't." (Taken out of context)-XDA Member Dammit2Hell on proper procedure after flashing Nero V4

Nelthalin
Old
(Last edited by Nelthalin; 8th February 2012 at 09:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
I really appreciate these tests. They're something I didn't take the time to do them properly so thank you.

The SII and S both have the same dimmed back light effect with these supposedly completely black pixels. I actually did learn a thing or two from your tests and that's a solid testimony to Blink's battery savings.

You wouldn't mind if I link to your two posts from NoLED's FAQ?
Ah good to know its not only the Galaxy Note. I think it is possible to switch most of the screen off but i guess you will need some local dimming logic to get it down more then it is now. I think thats to expensive. And i guess samsung never thought of this kind of usage. Mostly people will want to use the whole screen.

Its really to bad Samsung's dont have led indicators like the HTC's i really miss that. But noLED is a nice workarround

No not at all! please do i did these test because it was hard to find any real data regarding noLED and battery drain. So i decided to test it myself. Now we have a nice indication of the battery usage.

Update: I want to rerun/double check some test results tonight.
Samsung's Hardware and Driver support for battery readout are not good HTC's is way better. (no mAh support with samsung)
Last night i had 0% loss in 6 hour idle.

And just did a rest with a big whatsapp icon and blink @ 7 sec, screen on 1 sec + clock. And drain was now reading 1% per 9-10 min
Still good but not as good as my run yesterday with the red missed call icon and 0,5/1 sec screen on + 10 sec off, No clock. (1% every 20 min).

madmack
Old
(Last edited by madmack; 8th February 2012 at 03:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4358

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondPJR View Post
Nope that's not it either. It has happened many times when I was not anywhere near 100% and not charging. Anyway, here is the URL: http://pastebin.com/9ffm39ZX
sorry to be asking you to test all these APKs. Your last log indicates a bug but my debugging points weren't enough.

this will give me the exact trace and i will be able to find where noled is terminating itself when the notifications show up.

kindly do the same: install this apk > replicate > logcat > pastebin.

Edit: can you check your timeout settings? did you have it set to 1min or 2min previously? Battery saving features > notifications timeout and see what you have.
Attached Files
File Type: apk NoLED-5.0.7b-debug.apk - [Click for QR Code] (792.7 KB, 2 views)

Tags
noled