XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Captivate random shuts down

Tip us?

spyz88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default Captivate random shuts down

I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

Last night I let it completely drain then completely charged it. When I picked it up it read 99% battery immediately. I went to get ready for work and check my email and it was shut off. I had to restart it again. Since then it seems as if the battery is lasting longer.

ice3186
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Default random shutting down

Okay so i had this problem but it only arises for me when i do a few things. i have spent hours scratching my head about what it could be and through process of elimination i found on my phone it was one of two things.

1.) make sure that if you are using the auto kill feature in ATK that its not set to anything above safe

2.) if your using setcpu with profiles selected and have a very low profile for when the screen is off then try ramping that profile up a little bit to give the phone a chance to run background processes a little easier and actually wake up when you want it to!

hope it helps and if you give me info about what is going on then that should help us help you.

spyz88
Old
(Last edited by spyz88; 21st July 2010 at 02:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice3186 View Post
Okay so i had this problem but it only arises for me when i do a few things. i have spent hours scratching my head about what it could be and through process of elimination i found on my phone it was one of two things.

1.) make sure that if you are using the auto kill feature in ATK that its not set to anything above safe

2.) if your using setcpu with profiles selected and have a very low profile for when the screen is off then try ramping that profile up a little bit to give the phone a chance to run background processes a little easier and actually wake up when you want it to!

hope it helps and if you give me info about what is going on then that should help us help you.
I havent been using ATK at all. Also does SetCPU really work with the hummingbird processor? When it boots it always kicks down to 19.2 which is obviously too low. I removed it just in case. I also set it back to the default settings. I would really enjoy SetCPU to save battery if it works of course. I thought it only works on HTC devices and Motorola devices?

domin8
Old
Thanks Meter 40
i had setCPU on my phone yesterday and it was freezing like you describe when trying to bring it out of standby. I pulled the battery twice before i said F-it and took the program off. If you were using setCPU i'd say that was your problem.

spyz88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8 View Post
i had setCPU on my phone yesterday and it was freezing like you describe when trying to bring it out of standby. I pulled the battery twice before i said F-it and took the program off. If you were using setCPU i'd say that was your problem.
I deleted SetCPU and I thought it might be Screebl so I disabled it. Sure as hell it just went to a black screen and shut off again. God this is beyond annoying. I dont want to have to bring back this great phone but I need the phone to work.

madjsp
Old
Thanks Meter 8
We've also got to think, Samsung just released this phone. The more we do to it from the market, the more things are gonna happen.

Most devs haven't had the time to really test and relay bugs from this phone that would cause other errors.

spyz88
Old
(Last edited by spyz88; 21st July 2010 at 04:36 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjsp View Post
We've also got to think, Samsung just released this phone. The more we do to it from the market, the more things are gonna happen.

Most devs haven't had the time to really test and relay bugs from this phone that would cause other errors.
Yes but if I am correct none of these issues will be fixed until they decide to release FroYo?

EDIT: I just tried removing the MicroSD to see if that resolved the issue. Shocker...it didnt...

doug_s
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyz88 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

Last night I let it completely drain then completely charged it. When I picked it up it read 99% battery immediately. I went to get ready for work and check my email and it was shut off. I had to restart it again. Since then it seems as if the battery is lasting longer.
This has happened to me once. Came out of a meeting, pulled it out of my pocket, and couldn't get it to wake from sleep. I have not installed SetCPU, so it's not that. Not sure what the root cause was.

tbae2
Old
Thanks Meter 16
What apps do you have installed would probably be the more relevant question. And what have you changed?
Samsung Black jack -> Cingular 8125 -> Cingular 8525 -> AT&T Tilt-> AT&T Fuze -> AT&T Captivate -> Atrix 4g -> AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note -> T-Mobile HTC One

THATTON
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Mine is doing the same **** and it is driving me NUTZ!!! I thought SetCPU first so I uninstalled and rebooted. Phone is still doing it. Please someone figure this out quickly. I am going through my apps one by one and uninstalling them to try to pinpoint the problem. Subscribing to the thread.