OP jsmith8858

21st July 2010, 08:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 96

639 posts
More
This may be common knowledge to all, but in case it is not:

1) To disable the start up sound, in the /etc directory, rename the file PowerOn.wav to PowerOn.wav.bak.

2) To disable the shutdown sound, in the /system/media/audio/ui directory, rename shutdown.ogg to shutdown.ogg.bak.

I did this using a rooted phone with ADB. I am sure there may be an easier way if someone would like to provide further instructions regarding this.

I hope this info helps someone, those sounds very super-loud and annoying! If this info is available elsewhere, let me know and I will remove this post.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsmith8858 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2010, 09:31 PM   |  #2  
Austin, Texas
Thanks Meter: 9

515 posts
More
Sounds great! Thanks for the tip.

Also, for those that do wish to have startup/shutdown sounds: Rename your favorite sound in the same format as the file you will be replacing and you should have new sounds.

Since we have a lot of Noobs here (no derogatory intent as I was once a noob as well) here is a little bit better explanation:

Startup sound: locate the sound file you want played, convert it to a .wav file format, rename the file to "PowerOn.wav" and remove the original/replace it with your new file.

Shutdown sound: The same above - but the sound file must be in the .ogg file format and needs to be renamed "shutdown.ogg"

The location of the two files can be found in the above post.
21st July 2010, 09:51 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston

639 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneaus

Sounds great! Thanks for the tip.

Also, for those that do wish to have startup/shutdown sounds: Rename your favorite sound in the same format as the file you will be replacing and you should have new sounds.

Good point. In fact, just replacing these files with modified versions that are a much lower volume might be a good way to go, so you still get the sounds but without them being annoyingly loud.
21st July 2010, 10:54 PM   |  #4  
Flag Flower Mound
Thanks Meter: 10

80 posts
More
THANK YOU!!!!!
22nd July 2010, 12:15 AM   |  #5  
College Station, TX
Thanks Meter: 7

212 posts
More
Or, if you go to settings>sound and display>system volume you can turn the volume all the way down, which effectively mutes the start up/shut down sounds. No need for root or anything like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to clocke For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2010, 02:25 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 46

243 posts
Thank you!

I disabled the startup animation but was still left with the startup sound. Now things are complete. Did you find out where this PowerOn.wav is being referenced? And why didn't they put this in the media folder with the rest???
22nd July 2010, 07:48 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 141

651 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydonxda

Thank you!

I disabled the startup animation but was still left with the startup sound. Now things are complete. Did you find out where this PowerOn.wav is being referenced? And why didn't they put this in the media folder with the rest???

How did you disabled the startup animation? Is possible to replace it?
22nd July 2010, 02:14 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston

639 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clocke

Or, if you go to settings>sound and display>system volume you can turn the volume all the way down, which effectively mutes the start up/shut down sounds. No need for root or anything like that.

Sure, that works if (a) you want to always keep your system sound muted or (b) you always remember to change this setting before rebooting. If you never want the start up or shutdown sounds to play at all, regardless of system volume, then you can rename those files and you never need to worry about it.
22nd July 2010, 08:22 PM   |  #9  
College Station, TX
Thanks Meter: 7

212 posts
More
All it muted was the startup/shutdown noises... My notifications, ringtones, etc still sound off. Sounds still work on my games. And even with a reboot my settings are still saved.
24th July 2010, 09:40 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSilva

How did you disabled the startup animation? Is possible to replace it?

yesss, i am also interested in finding out how to disable (at least the att) startup animation

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread