Odex vs DeOdex

22nd July 2010, 11:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

194 posts
I have researched a little bit on the subject, but I am still confused about the purpose of DeOdexing. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't DeOdexing decompile apks and allow for modification of apks? Why do some roms use a deodex while other use the default odex?

Also more importantly, if I were to flash a deodex rom, could I revert back to odex if I were to make a nandroid backup (prior to flashing) and restoring from the backup (or does this make a permanent change in the file structure)?

Sorry if I am way off basis on my interpretations of odex vs deodex, but this is all new to me.

Thank You,

RTC
22nd July 2010, 11:17 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

48 posts
More
Pretty sure I know this...

Deodexed ROMs allow the developer to more easily customize the phone interface.

For example, if you want to change icons or application configuration files. They are not packaged up in a deoxed rom. This allows them to be edited after the ROM is distributed.

There are alot of rom modifications that can only be flashed overtop of a deoxed rom. This is because they need to edit the system files that are packaged in a odex rom. This is where you have to pay attention.

You should not have to do a nandroid backup to flash between odexed and deodexed roms. When you flash a rom you are basically overwriting the system. A nandroid backup is probably overkill, but it will definitely work. The more nand bakups the better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amw2320 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th April 2011, 05:42 AM   |  #3  
Flag Guatemala
Thanks Meter: 126

149 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amw2320

You should not have to do a nandroid backup to flash between odexed and deodexed roms. When you flash a rom you are basically overwriting the system. A nandroid backup is probably overkill, but it will definitely work. The more nand bakups the better.

he doesn't want to flash, quite the oposite he wants to NOT flash.

and yes, you can, while you deodex your phone, your original apks and it's odex files can be backed up, in fact it's a sugested step if not required, you can use those files later to restore your odexed apks.
29th April 2011, 05:55 AM   |  #4  
Flag Franklin, TN
Thanks Meter: 119

558 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDrake

he doesn't want to flash, quite the oposite he wants to NOT flash.

and yes, you can, while you deodex your phone, your original apks and it's odex files can be backed up, in fact it's a sugested step if not required, you can use those files later to restore your odexed apks.

Holy freaking necro, can people not read post dates, this thread is from july, around the time the evo was first released.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread