Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

[HOWTO] Convert videos for Samsung Galaxy S using Handbreak.

OP TGA_Gunnman

22nd July 2010, 11:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, Texas
Thanks Meter: 770

554 posts
Donate to Me
More
Team,

Thought I would throw this out here so people don't have to hunt it down.

The Samsung Galaxy S has a big, beautiful screen that just begs for some quality video to show off. But what is the best way for you to convert your favorite videos and transfer them to your Galaxy S? In this guide, we show you what software you need to convert videos for viewing on the Galaxy S, and we also show you how to get your newly converted videos onto your handset.

Requirements:

1. Installed copy of Handbrake software from here http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
2. Video files and or DVD of your choice
3. Samsung Galaxy S with microUSB cable

Step I: Launch the Handbrake application on your computer and select the video source

1. Launch Handbrake (figure 1)
2. In the menu on the right-hand side, select the iPod Legacy preset (figure 1)
3. Select your video source by clicking on the Source dropdown menu (we used a DVD for our testing purposes)
4. Select the destination and name for the file once it has been converted (both the .mp4 and .m4v extension work for the Galaxy S)
5. Confirm that the container is set to MP4 File and that Large file size, Web optimized, and iPod 5G support are unchecked

Step II: Adjust Handbrake's Video Settings

Picture Tab:

1. Uncheck Keep Aspect Ratio
2. Set the Galaxy Sd Width and Height (the Galaxy S supports a maximum of 800 x 480 pixels)
Video Tab:

1. Set Handbrake's encoding settings by clicking on the Video tab (figure 2)
2. Confirm the Video Codec is set as H.264 (x264)
3. Framerate (FPS) should be set to Same as source
4. Under Quality, select the Avg Bitrate (kbps) and change it to 1500

Step III: Adjust audio settings

1. Set Handbrake's audio settings by clicking on the Audio tab (figure 3)
2. Confirm the Audio Codec is AAC (faac)
3. Mixdown should be set to Stereo.
4. Change the Samplerate to 48
5. Change the Bitrate to 160

Step IV: Save as a preset for future use

1. Click on the Presets menu and select New Preset
2. Enter Galaxy S in the dialog box and click Add
3. "Galaxy S" will now be saved as a preset and listed on the right hand side in Handbrake to be used in the future
Step V: Convert the video and copy to your Galaxy S

1. Click on the Start button in Handbrake
2. A command line/DOS window will open and start to process the video conversion
3. Once the conversion is done, mount your Galaxy S on to your computer via USB (figure 4)
4. Once mounted, create a folder named Video in the root folder on the Galaxy S
5. Copy converted file into the Video folder

That's it! The converted video can now be played on your Galaxy S using the Gallery app. It should look fantastic on the Galaxy S's screen as long as the original source was of good quality.

A few things to keep in mind when converting video:

1. The Galaxy S does not like video file sizes over 2GB (the settings in Step II should help insure that the file size is kept under 2GB)
2. Your converted video will only be as good as the source video
3. If your source is over 800 x 480, you must be sure to set the width and height to a maximum of 800 x 480 as noted in Step II
Last edited by TGA_Gunnman; 23rd July 2010 at 12:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TGA_Gunnman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd July 2010, 12:12 AM   |  #2  
Flag London, ON
Thanks Meter: 24

250 posts
More
Just a couple questions. Is there a reason you unchecked 'Keep Aspect Ratio' and used the iPod Legacy preset instead of one that supports higher H.264 level? Did you notice artifacting with higher levels?
23rd July 2010, 12:13 AM   |  #3  
Flag Gonzales,La
Thanks Meter: 14

472 posts
More
Just used it on a Sample i had. Works great dosent look as clean as orginal. I can play orginal but audio wont play. Also is there any way to get the volume louder, My file seems to have low volume may a 3rd of a volume if i use the phone to make video.
23rd July 2010, 12:13 AM   |  #4  
Flag Davis, CA
Thanks Meter: 1

206 posts
More
Nice how to. i will definitely be looking into this later.
23rd July 2010, 12:56 AM   |  #5  
Flag West Michigan

133 posts
More
1000 kbps is more than adequate for bitrate imo especially with a 4" screen.
23rd July 2010, 01:26 AM   |  #6  
Flag Gonzales,La
Thanks Meter: 14

472 posts
More
Vote "STICKY" as some people will ask how to convert and this is... So easy even a cave man can do it.
23rd July 2010, 02:34 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 50

370 posts
You encoding in "iPod Legacy preset" for a device who can playback 720p at 60fps with 9000kbs

iPod Legacy preset is like for 2 year old devices , select High Profile and then change size to whatever suits your needs , if its 3 minute Music video ~70MB set is fine , if its a movie 500 or 700mb .
For audio i do AAC Stereo 160 Bitrate.
23rd July 2010, 02:36 AM   |  #8  

197 posts
Just a hint. Galaxy S can play a lot of formats no problem. But sometimes it can't play an avi file. Use avidemux for windows and open it, set audio and video to copy (meaning no recompression) and change format to mp4 container instead of avi. I found when I did this, it would play all my media without a problem.
23rd July 2010, 02:47 AM   |  #9  
Flag Backwoods Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 89

947 posts
More
I have been able to knock out Divx files as well. Most of my videos are in x.264 already though since I have my AppleTV setup so I just re-encoded them for the smaller screen.

I just used the iPhone preset and have had no issues with bad AR or anything.
23rd July 2010, 02:56 AM   |  #10  
New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 0

77 posts
More
This is great, and all, but I just use the Apple TV preset for all my movies, because I stream them to my ATV, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Galaxy S (Captivate). The movies look great on the Captivate. I couldn't ask for any better. The simulated 5.1 surround via headset make them sound even better. I actually couldn't believe they sounded so good.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread