Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Help with linux

OP sultan.of.swing

23rd July 2010, 03:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fayetteville, N.C.
Thanks Meter: 56

1,054 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ok before anyone asks, Yes I did read the linux threads. Problem is my windows box no longer works. I had to take my slide back to stock before i carried it to tmobile. I had it rooted. Now I am trying to re-root it in ubuntu 10 and im not having any luck getting ADB to connect to the slide while in recovery. I am a complete newb to linux. I do have ADB working because I can adb to the device while it is booted into its normal state(OS loaded).

Was wondering if anybody can lend me a point in the right direction so to speak.
So ADB is working but only while booted into the normal OS.
23rd July 2010, 04:06 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 38

296 posts
King was telling me not to use Ubuntu 10 becuase it doesnt play well with android sdk. Im guessing maybe this is one of the issues he may have been referring to.
23rd July 2010, 04:10 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fayetteville, N.C.

1,054 posts
Donate to Me
More
Crap. Time to see if I can fix my winblows Box then!

Thank's
23rd July 2010, 04:16 AM   |  #4  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 115

466 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan.of.swing

Crap. Time to see if I can fix my winblows Box then!

You do realize that there are a lot of other distributions out there other than Ubuntu? Ubuntu is easy, yes, but almost too easy. You're not going to learn anything about Linux with that disguise around it. Besides, openSUSE 11.3 was just released and it has YaST: the best system configuration tool ever. It's almost as easy as Ubuntu. Try it out: http://software.opensuse.org/113/en.

More specifically though, I personally use openSUSE 11.3 and it plays nicely with ADB and rooting with the ADB race exploit (which, for the record, is what you're trying to do).
23rd July 2010, 04:21 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fayetteville, N.C.

1,054 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ok say I install openSUSE 11.3. Will I have to do any hackery to get adb running? I'm not well trained on linux. But from last nights experience I know how to work with the terminal and nautilus

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
23rd July 2010, 04:26 AM   |  #6  
Flag Minneapolis

466 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ok say I install openSUSE 11.3. Will I have to do any hackery to get adb running? I'm not well trained on linux. But from last nights experience I know how to work with the terminal and nautilus

No, nothing other than what you did on Ubuntu. Just install ADB using the Android SDK from their website and plug in your phone to your computer. Done.

Also of note, when you install openSUSE it defaults to KDE as your desktop environment. If you want Gnome, select it during install. Nautilus isn't present in KDE, but it has Konqueror (which is arguably better). Personally I use KDE, but I have a bias towards it since I was a developer for it long ago. Flamewars rage, have raged, and will always continue to rage about what is better: KDE or Gnome. There's no clear answers, but most of KDE's recent bad publicity was due to its 4.0 and 4.1 releases. 4.2 is much better and it can be greatly appreciated.

That being said, you can use Nautilus in KDE if you want as well as Pidgin (Kopete is dieing and doesn't really work anymore).
23rd July 2010, 04:30 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fayetteville, N.C.

1,054 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbetcher

No, nothing other than what you did on Ubuntu. Just install ADB using the Android SDK from their website and plug in your phone to your computer. Done.

Also of note, when you install openSUSE it defaults to KDE as your desktop environment. If you want Gnome, select it during install. Nautilus isn't present in KDE, but it has Konqueror (which is arguably better). Personally I use KDE, but I have a bias towards it since I was a developer for it long ago. Flamewars rage, have raged, and will always continue to rage about what is better: KDE or Gnome. There's no clear answers, but most of KDE's recent bad publicity was due to its 4.0 and 4.1 releases. 4.2 is much better and it can be greatly appreciated.

That being said, you can use Nautilus in KDE if you want as well as Pidgin (Kopete is dieing and doesn't really work anymore).

To get ADB installed and running on Ubuntu I had to follow the guide posted here on XDA which involved some editing here and there. If its the same in openSUSE then I should be able to get it running. Thank's for your help and I am going to probably go ahead and download and install openSUSE. I need to learn linux anyway.

EDIT- Whew, 4gb. Guess I will let this download tonight and come back tomorrow night and install and try it again.
Last edited by sultan.of.swing; 23rd July 2010 at 04:33 AM.
23rd July 2010, 04:39 AM   |  #8  
Flag Minneapolis

466 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

To get ADB installed and running on Ubuntu I had to follow the guide posted here on XDA which involved some editing here and there. If its the same in openSUSE then I should be able to get it running. Thank's for your help and I am going to probably go ahead and download and install openSUSE. I need to learn linux anyway.

EDIT- Whew, 4gb. Guess I will let this download tonight and come back tomorrow night and install and try it again.

Strange, the SDK worked out-of-the-box for me on openSUSE 11.3 - no editing of anything required.

And yeah, it's 4GB - that is the entire repository. Ubuntu gives you a smaller CD (as opposed to a DVD) then allows you to download anything else you want later. Personally I prefer the DVD, but I also have a 20mbit connection. :P
23rd July 2010, 04:40 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 38

296 posts
I am also going to try it. Ive used Ubuntu for a really long time. Ive been wanting to try something new for some time now.
23rd July 2010, 04:43 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fayetteville, N.C.

1,054 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbetcher

Strange, the SDK worked out-of-the-box for me on openSUSE 11.3 - no editing of anything required.

And yeah, it's 4GB - that is the entire repository. Ubuntu gives you a smaller CD (as opposed to a DVD) then allows you to download anything else you want later. Personally I prefer the DVD, but I also have a 20mbit connection. :P

Well hopefully I wont have to do any editing to get it to work either.
It's downloading at 400kb/s about 3 hours to download so it aint gonna take that long.

Thank's for your help. If I didn't have work tomorrow I would be up late setting all this up because my slide without root just plain suck's. LOL

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread