Google Navigation API

Search This thread

bassmaster

Feb 10, 2005
hi,

is there any chance to send a request to google navigation and start a route to a destination given by latitude and longitude?

Brut.all

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2009
I'm pretty sure this is possible, but there is no official API - you have to look into a code of Google Maps.

Brut.all

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2009
Ok, there was no need to look into smali:

Code:
I/ActivityManager(  118): Starting activity: Intent { act=android.intent.action.VIEW dat=google.navigation:///?q=Some%20place cmp=brut.googlemaps/com.google.android.maps.driveabout.app.NavigationActivity }

:)

okdok

Jul 28, 2010
Ok, there was no need to look into smali:

Code:
I/ActivityManager(  118): Starting activity: Intent { act=android.intent.action.VIEW dat=google.navigation:///?q=Some%20place cmp=brut.googlemaps/com.google.android.maps.driveabout.app.NavigationActivity }
:)

Is it implied that we have to use the brut maps package to accomplish this, or can I do something similar with the default Google maps package?

cybervipr

Aug 5, 2010
Hey Brut,

Sorry, I'm new to developing apps on Android. Could you help me get from that output to the code that I need to put in my app? I tried fixing the code in Eclipse to get it working, but I haven't worked enough with custom intents and activities (and especially the Maps API) to get from point B to point A. My ultimate plan is to be able to have a list of buttons that will provide walking directions from your current location to a predetermined latitude/longitude coordinate. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance to anyone that could point me in the right direction.

alexvanderlinden

Sep 11, 2010
Eindhoven
I can launch the driving navigation by:

Code:
startActivity(new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW, Uri.parse("google.navigation:q=" + mLatitude + "," + mLongitude)));

However, I want to launch the walking navigation (new since google maps 4.5).

Does anybody know how to launch this?

Regards,
Alex

Last edited:

alexvanderlinden

Sep 11, 2010
Eindhoven
I found the answer myself after using the app CatLog (great app for viewing logging at your phone).

You can launch walking navigation by:
Code:
startActivity(new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW, Uri.parse("google.navigation:ll=" + mLatitude + "," + mLongitude + "&mode=w")));

Regards,
Alex

rafi300

Jul 31, 2009
Android City
Quick question regarding Google navigation brut.
Once u r navigating , and for example u take a wrong turn ,i.e, right instead of light , ..
The navigation voice won't tell u that u have taken a wrong turn or the term , rerouting !
any suggestions .. or possibility of implementation ?

Sent from LeeDroid powered by HTC Sense using XDA App!

hyeclass

May 24, 2010
can somebody explain to me how to look into the source of google navigation with baksmali?

hyeclass

May 24, 2010
sorry for double posting but....
i've been trying some stuff now but without any success...

has anybody been able to get any sort of a callback from the navigation intent?

gg4u

Nov 3, 2010
team up for a project with google navigation

hello all

my name is Luigi, I am living in the Netherlands now.
(Wageningen)
Background in Communication and International Development.
I am looking for people with expertise in programming for google maps and G navigation. He will be responsible to develop an application, I will be responsible to create a community + funding; I am preparing a business plan and looking for partners.
the query sent to google maps/navigation must be stored in a server.
The server give back to the mobile coordinates of nearby locations
Alternatively, please could you instruct me on materials / tutorials to guide me to realize (or at least draftly explain better) such application?
I am new in programming, just previous experience in Actionscript...

Please let me know if you are interested + your skills
thanks!
Luigi

randr0id

I found the answer myself after using the app CatLog (great app for viewing logging at your phone).

You can launch walking navigation by:
Code:
startActivity(new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW, Uri.parse("google.navigation:ll=" + mLatitude + "," + mLongitude + "&mode=w")));

Regards,
Alex

Awesome tip, thanks Alex.

Brut, when you start the navigation intent it returns immediately. If you want to monitor the status of the navigation you have to do it yourself.

Last edited:

O and O

Feb 5, 2009
Does anyone get a force close when they laugh it from a method? Also what types should the variables be? My long and lat are in type double.