SUCCESS! Wireless tether in AP Mode (NOT ad-hoc) + WPA2 Encryption
I decided to update the OP since there seems to be alot of uncertianty and questions in this thread.
Most of the info in this thread is obsolete. If you are running ANY of the latest roms / kernels, SOFTAP is already compiled in, and all you have to do is download the latest version of WIRELESS TETHER FOR ROOT USERS. Download it from the project site, NOT THE MARKET. As of this post, the most recent version in the market does NOT support AP mode / WPA2! You have to get it from the developer's website.
If you are still running a stock 2.1 rom, then the following information might benefit you. Otherwise, head on over to the developers website: http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...2&q=Incredible
and download the latest version. NO android.tether folder needed!!!!!! Install, and enjoy access point mode and WPA2 encryption!
Hello fellow XDA-ers!
As many of you know, the latest version of wireless tether for root users allows you to tether in access-point mode rather than ad-hoc mode.
If you're aware of this, you're probably also aware that the stock HTC incredible kernel doesn't allow for AP mode, so even if you install the latest version, it will still continue to broadcast in ad-hoc mode (yuck!).
I've gone to the trouble of re-compiling the stock kernel with CONFIG_BCM4329_SOFTAP enabled (which allows for AP mode tethering)! My kernel is 100% identical to the stock htc kernel except for this one change to allow for AP mode. No other changes of any kind. No overclock or undervolt.
If you are running a cm6 OR skyraider rom, OR the leaked OTA, this functionality is already built into the respective kernel. Don't use my kernel if you're running one of these roms.
Also, some of the latest hydra kernels have support compiled in. If you are using hydra kernel, check the changelog on the developers website to see if your version has support.
1. NANDROID BACKUP!
2. Download my ap-inc.zip file and extract
3. Copy the tether_ap_kernel_inc-signed.zip AND the wireless tether apk file to your sdcard.
4. Reboot into recovery, and choose "Install zip file from sdcard", and choose the tether_ap_kernel_inc-signed.zip file.
5. Choose "Reboot Now"
6. When booted back up, install (or update) the supplied wireless tether apk file.
DONE! Now, when you use the wireless tether app, your phone will operate in access-point mode instead of ad-hoc! Additionally, instead of using WEP encryption, WPA2 encryption is now supported instead!!!!
Credit for this goes to:
Myself (samwathegreat) - for re-compiling the stock kernel to allow AP mode
"Koush" - for supplying the means and instructions for creating a kernel update.zip file, and signing with test keys
And of course, the developers of wireless tether for root users.
You may NOT re-post or re-distribute these files and instructions without giving credit to the above individuals/groups.
Get the file here: www 4shared.com/file/uSjHGKnd/ap-inc html
EDIT: Forgot to mention:
1. This kernel is ONLY for the HTC Incredible. Don't try it on another device unless you really want a new paperweight.
2. You will still need to have the fw_bcm4329.bin file in the android.tether folder of your sd-card. Most likely, you already copied this file to the appropriate location when you rooted your phone. If someone has problems getting ahold of the fw_bcm4329.bin file, let me know and I'll post it. EDIT: this file is posted on page 2.
3. Once again: DO NOT use this kernel if you are running skyraider, cm6, or the leaked OTA! You don't need it.
Due to lots of questions surrounding the latest 2.2 Froyo OTA Leaks, I decided to add this info (from page 12) to the OP:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat
This tutorial is ONLY for 2.1 roms BEFORE the 720p / mobile hotspot leaked OTA. If you are running the 2.1 OTA that includes 720p recording and mobile hotspot, this will still work without applying the kernel I posted.
Wireless tether will NOT work in AP mode in ANY of the latest leaked froyo builds. It may appear to work, but it is in fact not broadcasting, so you can't connect. You have a couple of options:
1. Use wireless tether 2.0.2 in ad-hoc mode
2. Modify the settings in the included 3g mobile hotspot such that it works without paying verizon an extra $20 bux a month.
The problem / reason we can't compile a kernel that supports ap mode for these roms is that HTC has not released the source code. The older kernels are incompatible with the latest roms. We will see more development in this area when the source code becomes available.