Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 45,754 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BEGGING FOR HELP] ADB & Windows 7

Tip us?

Ryjabo
Old
(Last edited by Ryjabo; 27th July 2010 at 04:21 AM.) Reason: RESOLVED!!!
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128
Unhappy [BEGGING FOR HELP] ADB & Windows 7

USB/MicroSD mount is working, but I cannot get ADB to work. This is really pissing me off. I had it working fine on Vista but I'm a dumbass and decided to upgrade to Win7 Ultimate.

Device Manager does not show "Android Composite ADB Interface" or "Nexus One" or anything that looks remotely like that.

The instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=613054 -- do not work for me, as you can see in the screenshot I've provided below, nothing shows up.

SCREENSHOT (same also attached in case something happens to the link): http://imgur.com/uoaWH.jpg

1. The Android SDK is installed.
2. Java JDK 64 & 32 bit versions are both installed.
3. Plugged in my phone, turned on USB Debugging, nothing happened. Device manager list didn't change at all. No alerts near the systray from Win7.
4. I used "USB Deview" and uninstalled everything that looked like "Google" or "HTC" (saw nothing that said HTC or Android, just Google).
5. After #4, gave this POS a reboot, no change when plugging the phone in.

I have the driver downloaded, separately, as well as the one that comes with the Android SDK.

I'm at a complete loss.

Help is deeply, truly, appreciated, and I'll be clicking on some "DONATE" links if you can help me fix this.

EDIT: RESOLVED

Windows7 didn't like this ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=702191

But it loves this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=714184

Needless to say... I'm pretty happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stupid****ingcomputer.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	366005  
Nexus 5
Sprint, The Maybe Later Network

rori~
Old
Thanks Meter 705

DONATE TO ME
usb driver installed?

Ryjabo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rori~ View Post
usb driver installed?
Yes.

And USB debugging is enabled.

I can mount the SD, but it looks like Windows thinks my phone is nothing more than a storage device. The ADB crap is not showing up in the Device Manager like it did on Vista, nor is there *anything* that says "Nexus One" except in... see new screenshot.

http://imgur.com/J7OzA.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stupid****ingcomputer2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	366009  
Nexus 5

Teario
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is your Nexus running 2.2?

I had this exact problem as soon as I updated to 2.2; Windows 7 simply refuses to accept the device.

Put your device in recovery mode and see if fastboot can detect it. For me it can, but ADB and DDMS both think nothing is connected when the phone is on and in debug mode.

I have a HTC Magic as well which works absolutely fine (even when running CM6, which is 2.2 based) but the Nexus on 2.2 is just a no go. If you've unlocked your bootloader you could downgrade to 2.1 again. I never had problems on Win7 with 2.1.

Your only other option is to add your comments to the bug, here: code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9437 (sorry, I'm still not allowed to post proper links yet)

It seems very few people are experiencing this (or reporting it when they do) so my hopes for them fixing it are pretty low.

britoso
Old
Thanks Meter 282

DONATE TO ME
Are you on version R3 of the USB driver?

What happens when you plug in the phone with usb debugging turned on (on the status bar) ?
Does it ask for a driver? if so manually point it to C:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver (may differ)

below is a SS of the driver files being uses on my win-7 64 bit desktop.
Software Developer (Java/J2EE)
Phone: Nexus 5 32GB -> PA 4.4.2 + XPosed
Phone: Galaxy Nexus-> OmniMetal CM11
Phone: Nexus One (killed while replacing the digitizer)-> CM10.1 AOKP Unofficial Nightlies
Tablet
: Nook Color -> CM10.1 Nightlies
Tablet
: HP Touchpad -> CM10.1 -SCHIZOID
Stick: CX-919 RK3188/2GB (4.2.2 Finless 1.6b. FHD no-OC. Antutu 16753 Quadrant 4723)

Links:
»My Apps (ancient now) [CPUStatusLED] [MoreRecent]
»My Threads
»My Posts
»Transparent widgets

Prod1702
Old
Thanks Meter 191

DONATE TO ME
Try something for me. I am having the same as you but try this. Boot your phone in recovery mode and see if adb works then. My pc sees the phone as adb in recovery but it doesn't see it as adb on the home screen. Not sure why this is but it worked at one time.
Current Phone: T-Mobile HTC One (M8)
Tablet: T-mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Phones not in use: G1, HTC Nexus One, LG G2X, GSM Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, HTC One, LG G-Flex, Note 3

If you don't have a Dropbox account join off me and get an extra 500mb of free space. http://db.tt/apgNbhRE

Ryjabo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prod1702 View Post
Try something for me. I am having the same as you but try this. Boot your phone in recovery mode and see if adb works then. My pc sees the phone as adb in recovery but it doesn't see it as adb on the home screen. Not sure why this is but it worked at one time.
Holy ****.

I love you.

I've been pulling my hair out. Seriously.

I booted into recovery, plugged the phone in, Windows tried installing drivers, but failed, then I saw "Nexus One" listed in Device Manager, and after installing the drivers that came with the SDK, the "Android Phone" and "Android Composite ADB Interface" stuff shows up in the device manager, and adb commands work... when my phone is booted into Recovery.

Recovery was the key.

Thank you!!!!!!
Nexus 5

Ryjabo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128
Could the ROM I'm using have anything to do with this?
Nexus 5

Ryjabo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128
ADB recognizes the device when I'm recovery, and the "adb push" commands do their thing, but I don't see the files being pushed where I'm pushing them to.

Do I just have to enable the "USB toggle" thing?
Nexus 5

productofusa
Old
(Last edited by productofusa; 25th July 2010 at 02:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
I just installed Win 7 and used these directions from the android developers website and everything worked flawlessly from the getgo:

http:// developer.android.com/sdk/index.html/

Hmmm, correct url, not working, 404, maybe it'll work if you copy/paste and take the spaces out from between // and developer.