This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.
How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.
HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management are done for you!
- Download ROM Manager from the Market.
- Flash Recovery.
- Choose Galaxy S i9000 as your phone.
- Accept the Superuser prompt.
- Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.
- On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
- Watch the backup go!
That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!
If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!
If you can't seem to get ROM Manager off the market, you can get it from my homepage: