Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HTC to use SLCD display for future Nexus One!!

OP Mokurex

26th July 2010, 12:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 20

562 posts
It seems there's not enought AMOLED for everyone, so I guess the developer version of the Nexus One that is going to be sold soon will use this lcd?? Here's the press release:

Quote:

HTC Introduces SLCD Display Technology To Its Portfolio

New Displays to be integrated into HTC Desire and Nexus One

Taoyuan, TAIWAN – July 26, 2010 – HTC Corporation, a global designer of smartphones, today introduced Super LCD display (SLCD) technology into a variety of HTC phones including the HTC Desire and global Nexus One later this summer. The SLCD display offers an exceptional natural balanced colour, clear contrast, broad viewing angles and improved power efficiency.

"HTC is experiencing high-demand for many of our phones, specifically our phones with 3.7 inch displays. The new SLCD display technology enables us to ramp up our production capabilities quickly to meet the high-demand," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC Corporation. "The SLCD displays provide consumers with a comparable visual experience to HTC's current 3.7 inch displays with some additional benefits including battery performance."

SLCD is the latest generation of LCD technology that offers improved performance from earlier LCD panels including approximately five times better power management. SLCDs also offer an enhanced viewing experience with wider viewing angles that are enabled by Sony's new VSPEC III™ technology.

Source: Engadget
26th July 2010, 12:10 PM   |  #2  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1

102 posts
More
Read between the lines. . . This is going to be a more efficient display unit, that is easily manufactured. I don't see anything involving the word "better".

Battery life is already impressive unless you use your Nexus for literally everything.
26th July 2010, 12:13 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 20

562 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTech216

Read between the lines. . . This is going to be a more efficient display unit, that is easily manufactured. I don't see anything involving the word "better".

Battery life is already impressive unless you use your Nexus for literally everything.

I'm not saying it's better or worse. I'm just posting news. 0_o
26th July 2010, 12:58 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
maybe samsung just doesn't want to sell any to HTC.. is SLCD "comparable" to AMLCD or whatever used by iphone4..
26th July 2010, 12:59 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 36

742 posts
I'm already thinking about selling my brand new Nexus One in order to get a new one with an SLCD screen.

Goodbye pentiles! Goodbye over saturation!

Hope Sony is NOT going the pentile matrix way, as this is not exclusive to amoleds...
26th July 2010, 01:16 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

145 posts
i'm wondering whether the new screen uses a better digitizer for multi touch? a multi touch Vis test would be good on a Super LCD nexus one.
26th July 2010, 02:05 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

205 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahpur.Azizpour

I'm already thinking about selling my brand new Nexus One in order to get a new one with an SLCD screen.

Goodbye pentiles! Goodbye over saturation!

Hope Sony is NOT going the pentile matrix way, as this is not exclusive to amoleds...

what's wrong with pentiles? and why is over saturation not a good thing. it makes things look more vibrant and colorful?
26th July 2010, 02:19 PM   |  #8  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,117

7,011 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stats101

what's wrong with pentiles? and why is over saturation not a good thing. it makes things look more vibrant and colorful?

The point is over saturation; ie: things look over saturated. However personally I have not found it to be a problem, and I typically notice these sorts of things being a photographer. But I have different devices for different scopes of work, and they don't all have to be equivalent. I don't have to have "the best" camera in my phone, my work monitor doesn't have to be perfectly calibrated (okay, so it is, I hate bad colours..)

And Pentile sucks. Everything looks dithered. I'm sure it's not exclusive to AMOLED but I can't imagine the purpose of it anywhere else? The main purpose, as I understand it, is to drive most of the luminance from the emitters which have longer life.
26th July 2010, 02:23 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 36

742 posts
exactly. the point is that the colors on amoleds, especially reds and orange colors, are way too saturated. I hate the color reproduction on the nexus one.

And PenTiles are the WORST invention ever, the dithered look distracts the eyes, especially when reading a lot of text. The display is my main complaint woth the nexus one, other than that im completely happy. (ok the stock homescreens are laggy as hell even on android 2.2, but at least there are some replacement apps available).

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

The point is over saturation; ie: things look over saturated. However personally I have not found it to be a problem, and I typically notice these sorts of things being a photographer. But I have different devices for different scopes of work, and they don't all have to be equivalent. I don't have to have "the best" camera in my phone, my work monitor doesn't have to be perfectly calibrated (okay, so it is, I hate bad colours..)

And Pentile sucks. Everything looks dithered. I'm sure it's not exclusive to AMOLED but I can't imagine the purpose of it anywhere else? The main purpose, as I understand it, is to drive most of the luminance from the emitters which have longer life.

26th July 2010, 02:30 PM   |  #10  
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 860

5,686 posts
More
If the SLCD is way better under sunlight I hope GoOgLe will give us the choice to replace the screen,this with better battery life will be exellent

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread