Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,250 Members 41,413 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF] Was: Headphones sound quality fix and improvements for Galaxy S (obsolete now)

Tip us?

supercurio
Old
(Last edited by supercurio; 22nd January 2011 at 08:56 AM.)
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 5070

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb [REF] Was: Headphones sound quality fix and improvements for Galaxy S (obsolete now)

Important note:

This thread with first post is kept here for archive, but it's mostly irrelevant now since JM1 firmwares for Eclair, and also Froyo releases.

Hello dear music listeners and headphones users.

If you don't want to go through the topic, Here is the fix :

Quote:
Run the Service Mode app by typing *#*#197328640#*#* like a telephone number.

New and easier : install and run the free SamServMode app !
by gilsken, available in market. big thanks

Now choose :
Code:
Select Code
[5] AUDIO
>[2] HEADSET
 >[9] Diamond Solution
  >[6]1Mic TX(OFF)
   >[1]1Mic TX OnOff : OFF
Click the [1]1Mic TX OnOff : OFF line.
Use the menu capacitive button, and select "Key Input"
Enter the value 1

Now go to
Code:
Select Code
[2]Fir_Coeff Table
Set the value 0 to fir_coeff 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
(fir_coeff values will appear as 0x0 one validated)

That's all, now enjoy
Now here is the original message :

The Galaxy S is a top-notch mobile audio hardware, but Samsung is currently destroying it when you plug a headphone.
A friend of mine and myself have immediately noticed that the frequency response is just not "right"

Very disappointed by what I heard, i've scratched the surface and here's what I found :

When you plug the 3.5mm jack out to a line-level device (ex : sound card line-in, hi-fi amplifier)

- Line out frequency response is perfectly flat. It can be called extremely accurate for a mobile device.
GSMArena review (plugged to a 20kOhms impedance line-in) confirm this excellent result

- Output level is standardized for line-out output.

When you plug the 3.5mm jack out to a headphone device (any headphone)

- Headphone frequency response is modified.
My ears would say approx :
+6db from 35 to 200hz
-2db for 500hz to 5khz
+6db from 10khz to 12khz
+3db from 12 to 16khz

The result sounds like a strong loudness filter.
And you can say good bye to most of voice definition, instrument musicality, sound stage, stereo image and... listening pleasure

- Sound level is lowered in recent firmwares (not in stock JF3). I guess this is because i'm in France, and there is a law here to limit maximum sound level.
There is a side effect : this limit is done by lowering the analog level of the DAC output.
Great news is that for every in-ear isolating headphone like me, the noise level is much reduced compared to JF3

How to correct this stupid setting

If you're like me, you can't stand using such a good hardware crippled by such a dumb configuration.

If you want to get immediately a sort of fix, you can enable the "Pop" equalizer in music player.
It applies an equalizer that boost mid frequency and helps fighting the dumb loudness-style equalizer.
This is not a real solution because
- Pop equalizer reduce too much bass and high frequencies
- Pop equalizer comes with a dynamic compression, that will alter sound volume too, depending on the music played.
- It works only in the samsung mp3 player

This equalizer can be disabled by some settings in Service Mode !
Yesterday I stay up very late to find the appropriate settings in Service Mode.

And guess what, i found how to disable this stupid equalizer, and was so happy
Audio response was accurate... really, fantastic result !
But knowing that (most?) servicemode settings don't survive reboot, I did so.
Too bad, sad EQ was back after reboot, and the modification applied did not work any more.

I guess I changed so many (a bit random) audio parameters that i eventually found the good combination. I don't find it again, that's why I call you for help

Here is where the settings changed the sound (realtime) :

Go to Service Mode *#*#197328640#*#*

Code:
Select Code
[5] AUDIO
 [2] HEADSET
  [9] Diamond Solution
   [6]1Mic TX(OFF)
    [2]Fir_Coeff Table
Here is what we found here :
(fir is for Finite-Impulse Response = equalizer parameters)
Code:
Select Code
- Headset Diamond Solution1Mic
[1]fir_coreff 0 :  0xffff49
[2]fir_coreff 0 :  0xfffce6
[3]fir_coreff 0 :  0xfffab3
[4]fir_coreff 0 :  0xfffccb
[5]fir_coreff 0 :  0xfff0e9
[6]fir_coreff 0 :  0xffffc7
[7]fir_coreff 0 :  0x3e4a
As blurry as I remember (again, it was so late, not 100% sure ) I put all these to 0, and headphone equalizer was gone.
But... i must have changed some other parameter, anywhere in the [5]Audio settings.

I'll try to find again the good settings, but any help is very welcome !

After finding the appropriate settings, you can count on me to find how to apply these settings permanently (surviving reboots)

Have a nice hunting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supercurio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DocRambone
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2613

DONATE TO ME
How do sgs know what is connected to 3.5 output...?

supercurio
Old
Thanks Meter 5070

DONATE TO ME
It monitors the electrical impedance of the device attached.

A line-in is typically between 10 and 47 kOhms, headphones are between 300 and 16 Ohms

DocRambone
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2613

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercurio View Post
It monitors the electrical impedance of the device attached.

A line-in is typically between 10 and 47 kOhms, headphones are between 300 and 16 Ohms
Sound very strange ... i tested the output with my grados and can not differ it from from sgs via aux... But i will check more. Great work tho

supercurio
Old
Thanks Meter 5070

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRambone View Post
Sound very strange ... i tested the output with my grados and can not differ it from from sgs via aux... But i will check more. Great work tho
Yeah I agree that's strange, and... a very bad idea by Samsung.
I was accustomed to very good the iPhone 3Gs headphone output (used with surprisingly good and cheap SoundMagic PL50).

The first music I listened with the SGS i got the feeling "Ok, this is different, i'll probably get used to. 3Gs may not have been so accurate".
But after 2 days i could not get accustomed, so i checked :

PC sound card, Netbook sound card, cheap Galaxy Spica sound approximately the same (minus noise, distortion and some poor infra-bass response on netbook and Galaxy Spica)

Only device with a loudness sound signature, poor mediums : Galaxy S

The fact that a friend got the same feeling (without knowing mine) confirmed that this wasn't just a feeling ^^
I guess we could measure the response with a Y jack doubler.
1 connector plugged on headphones, the other to a computed line-in running RMAA.

tra33372
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does the SGS's audio chip could compete with the one in iPod touch?

Coz I compared the output from the same headphone and the same song file.
Then I noticed the huge difference in sound quality btw hose two devices (I tried all EQ in SGS but the output isn't quite good).

It's great to hear that there still has the way to improve the SGS's output quality.
Sony Ericsson P800> Dopod 838> Dopod 838 pro> Touch Cruise> Touch PRO+Toshiba T-01A

pepitodequetequejas
Old
(Last edited by pepitodequetequejas; 26th July 2010 at 09:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for info , i will try this settings.
If this is true , Gsmarena are not doing weel this measuremens , to analyce sound quality (especially frequency response)
in headphone out (usually handheld device DACs, have diferent Pinage for line out and headphones and
lineout is not used) you must put a load (tipically 16-32 Ohms)or better a headphones in parallel with sound card line in.
I dont know how samsung can manage to swith between line and headphone out by software (is possible but very strange).
PD: i saw a wolsfon chip in dissasemblig pictures (wolfson or Diamond DAC ? ).

supercurio
Old
Thanks Meter 5070

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tra33372 View Post
Does the SGS's audio chip could compete with the one in iPod touch?

Coz I compared the output from the same headphone and the same song file.
Then I noticed the huge difference in sound quality btw hose two devices (I tried all EQ in SGS but the output isn't quite good).
Hello tra !
Sure, SGS's audio hardware can definitely compete with iPod touch & iPhones sound quality.
I'm found of the iPhone 3Gs SQ, but sold mine to get the SGS.

I've just checked right now the line out quality with RMAA to confirm GSMArena tests. I confirm the accuracy of the SGS Review results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tra33372 View Post
It's great to hear that there still has the way to improve the SGS's output quality.
Yeah i'm pretty conviced that what you heard was the bad EQ added by Samsung, maybe adequate for very low end headphones but a reall mess for every other good equipment.

I listened to some music after finding the service mode parameters and SQ was really fantastic, as good as I remembered with my previous iPhone 3Gs.

Wide but tight bass response, clear mids, precise highs, you know... everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepitodequetequejas View Post
Thanks for info , i will try this settings.
Cool pepitodequetequejas !
As i said, the settings i gave are not enough
This is where we can modify this EQ, but some other unknown parameters in the Audio menu are required.

Quote:
If this is true , Gsmarena are not doing weel this measuremens , to analyce sound quality (especially frequency response)
in headphone out (usually handheld device DACs, have diferent Pinage for line out and headphones and
lineout is not used) you must put a load (tipically 16-32 Ohms)or better a headphones in parallel with sound card line in.
I dont know how samsung can manage to swith between line and headphone out by software (is possible but very strange).
I agree.

But for now, GSMArena analysis is the best we get for most phones, even if it only measure the quality of the "line out", and not "headphone out"

Quote:
PD: i saw a wolsfon chip in dissasemblig pictures (wolfson or Diamond DAC ? ).
Do you think that the Samsung Galaxy S includes a Diamond DAC ?
I did not know Diamond was a Dac brand.

I read somewhere that it may use a Cirrus DAC, but based on Service Mode menus you probably just made a very good guess

And that's definitely the right place to look in settings, thank you !

robert_tlse
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I find that equalizer set to classic and effects to either wide or clarity, work best for me.

(Factory jf3)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
GT-I9300 (4.0.4)
GT-I9000 (2.3.4)
Omnia 7 (7.5)
Ipad 3 (5.1.1)
Logitech Revue
Apple TV

supercurio
Old
Thanks Meter 5070

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_tlse View Post
I find that equalizer set to classic and effects to either wide or clarity, work best for me.

(Factory jf3)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
Salut robert

Both settings (EQ and effect) you use tend restore a bit of sound clarity lost by Samung's bad EQ for headphones ^^
Hopefully you wont need any with Samsung EQ disabled.

BTW with most good headphones (especially in-ear), we don't apply any equalization or effect.
That's the goal here, and often the only way to get an accurate and non-fatiguing music reproduction.

Tags
audio, equalizer, headphone