Ask a question

No registration required

Serious battery drain :(

OP markuz85

27th July 2010, 11:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42

235 posts
I got my Desire in april and ever since I've never managed to get the battery to last more than a day.
I've tried different ROMs (Defrost, OpenDesire with and without Sense, MoDaCo r4, DJDroid, Neophyte, Pays-rom 2.1) but it's always the same: almost no drain in sleep mode but as soon as I turn the screen on and start using it the battery goes down ~20% every hour. I don't believe that's normal since some people get 3-4 days out of their battery.

For example, today my phone has been on for 2 hours and lost 43% battery with WiFi on, just surfing the net and using Tapatalk.
The screen brightness is fixed at 30%, auto-sync off, bluetooth off, network mode set to WCDMA only and I have good 3G reception where I live.

I have no clue what to do, maybe someone else does?
Last edited by markuz85; 27th July 2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling errors
27th July 2010, 12:06 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

46 posts
I have the same life spend for my battery. I think its quite normal for desire. Unless I'm abnormal too : x

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
27th July 2010, 12:25 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 54

485 posts
Donate to Me
More
You can use setCPU to underclock the processor or to create rules to make it powersaver.

I (as many other people) have one for setting the max/min processor to 245MHz when the screen is off, so it doesnt waste so much battery. I havent tested a lot, since I did it yesterday but the battery is lasting longer.

Also there are different ROMs that have better battery life...
27th July 2010, 12:35 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

235 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureusPT

You can use setCPU to underclock the processor or to create rules to make it powersaver.

I (as many other people) have one for setting the max/min processor to 245MHz when the screen is off, so it doesnt waste so much battery. I havent tested a lot, since I did it yesterday but the battery is lasting longer.

Also there are different ROMs that have better battery life...

I'm using neophyte 1.3 now since it was said to give you good battery time but I don't think SetCPU works with it...

27th July 2010, 02:57 PM   |  #5  

31 posts
I use JuiceDefender. Just by installing the free app from the market, I've increased my battery by 1.5x what it was originally.

With Ultimate Juice installed, I saw an increase of up to 2.5x.

Sods law, I can't purchase anything via the market due to having a Google Apps email account :|
27th July 2010, 06:20 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

235 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gRoberts

I use JuiceDefender. Just by installing the free app from the market, I've increased my battery by 1.5x what it was originally.

With Ultimate Juice installed, I saw an increase of up to 2.5x.

Sods law, I can't purchase anything via the market due to having a Google Apps email account :|

I've tried it but it's not helping since I'm not syncing anything automatically anyway and the battery isn't drained with screen off.
It's when I start using the phone my battery percentage goes bananas.

And btw I know how you feel, I live in Sweden and we don't have paid apps here. Thank god for MarketAccess.

28th July 2010, 07:20 AM   |  #7  

2 posts
My Desire was acting like that during my first 2 days of usage. The battery was draining really fast even in standby mode. I installed advanced task killers and after that the battery improved. I do not know if it is because this app or there were some other configurations that I accidentally did...

But the battery life right now is way better than before (even lasts longer than my previous iphone 3gs). Hope this helps =D
28th July 2010, 08:16 AM   |  #8  

156 posts
I have pretty decent battery life and I use the stock unrooted unmodified rom. Some apps completely obliterate battery life. I used to keep eBuddy open, but I found that it kills my battery faster then anything else.

Sent from my HTC Desire
28th July 2010, 09:15 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

241 posts
Just downloaded setcpu to take a look. Should I be looking to use the default settings or is there something I should be changing?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
28th July 2010, 09:54 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 30

222 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markuz85

I got my Desire in april and ever since I've never managed to get the battery to last more than a day.
I've tried different ROMs (Defrost, OpenDesire with and without Sense, MoDaCo r4, DJDroid, Neophyte, Pays-rom 2.1) but it's always the same: almost no drain in sleep mode but as soon as I turn the screen on and start using it the battery goes down ~20% every hour. I don't believe that's normal since some people get 3-4 days out of their battery.

For example, today my phone has been on for 2 hours and lost 43% battery with WiFi on, just surfing the net and using Tapatalk.
The screen brightness is fixed at 30%, auto-sync off, bluetooth off, network mode set to WCDMA only and I have good 3G reception where I live.

Hmm, when you say "just surfing the net", you're actually using WiFI + AMOLED + CPU, which are 3 of the biggest battery drains on the device.

IME, you can get days out of the phone, but if you actually have the screen turned on all of the time (i.e. you're actually using the phone), then 20% per hour probably isn't that insane. After all, that's 5 hours of continuous use, which isn't too awful from a modern smart phone.

Honestly, I think the answer might be "Yes, it does that" and "you'll probably need to charge it during the day". I've taken to charging mine on the way to work and back again (about 45 mins each way) and I'm still at 90% at bedtime.

Oh, and forget JuiceDefender. Yes, it makes a difference...but only when the screen is turned off. As soon as you start using it (and that's what you're obviously doing here), it shifts out of the way. Once I realised this, I uninstalled it...never looked back.

Daern

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread