Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 51,442 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS OTA Fix Coming

Tip us?

marshall7712
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking GPS OTA Fix Coming

I took the liberty of calling directly to Samsung this afternoon and spoke with a gentleman in their tech dept. They know all about the GPS issues and regret them deeply. They are in the process of releasing OTA fixes (he let this slip) beginning this coming Monday or earlier. It will come directly to the phone (OTA) with the option of installing now or later. He said within three weeks this will be fixed worldwide. It will not be a long running problem as they want everyone to get what they paid for (his words). He made me well aware that they have the difficulty recognized and under control. I hung up well assured.

<insertwittyusernamehere>
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Glad to hear this, but I'll believe it when I see it.

ranova
Old
Thanks Meter 200
thanks, but until I see it, I dont believe reps unless it comes in a press release

brandonb81
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Very happy to hear this. I emailed samsung support earlier over the weekend, if I get an answer I'll be sure to post it here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

jmreed97
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall7712 View Post
I took the liberty of calling directly to Samsung this afternoon and spoke with a gentleman in their tech dept. They know all about the GPS issues and regret them deeply. They are in the process of releasing OTA fixes (he let this slip) beginning this coming Monday or earlier. It will come directly to the phone (OTA) with the option of installing now or later. He said within three weeks this will be fixed worldwide. It will not be a long running problem as they want everyone to get what they paid for (his words). He made me well aware that they have the difficulty recognized and under control. I hung up well assured.
No way... an AT&T tech manager told me they have received no fix from Samsung yet. They would have to test the fix them selves before it was allowed as an OTA update. No way it will be here by Monday...

donaldkbart
Old
Thanks Meter 2
just wondering does rooting your phone stop OTA fixes, or will I still receive the message?

SoCADesertRat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall7712 View Post
Here is the email response I received yesterday from Samsung after writing them about the GPS issue -- certainly no indication that they are on top of the problem:

Thank you for your inquiry. We understand your distress concerning the GPS feature of your Samsung Captivate (SGH-I897). We recommend obtaining the initial lock while outdoors in clear view of the sky.

You can also try this steps:

You must select Settings > Location and security > Use wireless networks or Use GPS satellites.

We will forward your report of this behavior along to the appropriate parties for additional review and consideration. Please bear in mind that network features, to include the GPS functionality, are best supported by your service provider. We recommend contacting an at&t Customer Service Representative to confirm that there are no service issues that may be affecting your handset.

Phone: 1-888-333-6651

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Should you also desire additional assistance resolving this, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support

Intervenient
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCADesertRat View Post
Here is the email response I received yesterday from Samsung after writing them about the GPS issue -- certainly no indication that they are on top of the problem:

Thank you for your inquiry. We understand your distress concerning the GPS feature of your Samsung Captivate (SGH-I897). We recommend obtaining the initial lock while outdoors in clear view of the sky.

You can also try this steps:

You must select Settings > Location and security > Use wireless networks or Use GPS satellites.

We will forward your report of this behavior along to the appropriate parties for additional review and consideration. Please bear in mind that network features, to include the GPS functionality, are best supported by your service provider. We recommend contacting an at&t Customer Service Representative to confirm that there are no service issues that may be affecting your handset.

Phone: 1-888-333-6651

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Should you also desire additional assistance resolving this, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support

I've gotten the same response.

Need to make up their minds.

haydonxda
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Default GPS is a "network issue"?

Did the email really say that GPS was a network issue to be handled by our service provider? It's not a phone hardware issue? Well crap, I guess I'll have to call my GPS service provider.

Now where did I leave that main number for the US Air Force?

Me: "Hello Air Force, please fix my phone. Apparently there's a problem with your multi-billion dollar GPS constellation that's causing my consumer electronics device to malfunction."

AF: "Who is this?"

Me: "I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone and I demand you make it work!"

AF: "<inaudible> never should have turned off selective availability."

<click>

dsjr2006
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Another bogus "I talked to Samsung and the fix is on the way post"

From my Samsung Captivate
Nexus One - Froyo 2.2 - AT&T (Retirement)
Moto Droid - VZW (Retirement)
HTC Droid Incredible - VZW
Apple iPhone 4 - AT&T