Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

GPS OTA Fix Coming

OP marshall7712

27th July 2010, 11:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Full-time Traveler
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
More
I took the liberty of calling directly to Samsung this afternoon and spoke with a gentleman in their tech dept. They know all about the GPS issues and regret them deeply. They are in the process of releasing OTA fixes (he let this slip) beginning this coming Monday or earlier. It will come directly to the phone (OTA) with the option of installing now or later. He said within three weeks this will be fixed worldwide. It will not be a long running problem as they want everyone to get what they paid for (his words). He made me well aware that they have the difficulty recognized and under control. I hung up well assured.
27th July 2010, 11:23 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

88 posts
Glad to hear this, but I'll believe it when I see it.
28th July 2010, 12:07 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 201

1,286 posts
thanks, but until I see it, I dont believe reps unless it comes in a press release
28th July 2010, 12:46 AM   |  #4  

245 posts
More
Very happy to hear this. I emailed samsung support earlier over the weekend, if I get an answer I'll be sure to post it here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
30th July 2010, 03:33 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

99 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall7712

I took the liberty of calling directly to Samsung this afternoon and spoke with a gentleman in their tech dept. They know all about the GPS issues and regret them deeply. They are in the process of releasing OTA fixes (he let this slip) beginning this coming Monday or earlier. It will come directly to the phone (OTA) with the option of installing now or later. He said within three weeks this will be fixed worldwide. It will not be a long running problem as they want everyone to get what they paid for (his words). He made me well aware that they have the difficulty recognized and under control. I hung up well assured.

No way... an AT&T tech manager told me they have received no fix from Samsung yet. They would have to test the fix them selves before it was allowed as an OTA update. No way it will be here by Monday...
30th July 2010, 03:56 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

27 posts
just wondering does rooting your phone stop OTA fixes, or will I still receive the message?
30th July 2010, 09:34 PM   |  #7  
Flag Southern California

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall7712

Here is the email response I received yesterday from Samsung after writing them about the GPS issue -- certainly no indication that they are on top of the problem:

Thank you for your inquiry. We understand your distress concerning the GPS feature of your Samsung Captivate (SGH-I897). We recommend obtaining the initial lock while outdoors in clear view of the sky.

You can also try this steps:

You must select Settings > Location and security > Use wireless networks or Use GPS satellites.

We will forward your report of this behavior along to the appropriate parties for additional review and consideration. Please bear in mind that network features, to include the GPS functionality, are best supported by your service provider. We recommend contacting an at&t Customer Service Representative to confirm that there are no service issues that may be affecting your handset.

Phone: 1-888-333-6651

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Should you also desire additional assistance resolving this, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
30th July 2010, 09:43 PM   |  #8  

79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCADesertRat

Here is the email response I received yesterday from Samsung after writing them about the GPS issue -- certainly no indication that they are on top of the problem:

Thank you for your inquiry. We understand your distress concerning the GPS feature of your Samsung Captivate (SGH-I897). We recommend obtaining the initial lock while outdoors in clear view of the sky.

You can also try this steps:

You must select Settings > Location and security > Use wireless networks or Use GPS satellites.

We will forward your report of this behavior along to the appropriate parties for additional review and consideration. Please bear in mind that network features, to include the GPS functionality, are best supported by your service provider. We recommend contacting an at&t Customer Service Representative to confirm that there are no service issues that may be affecting your handset.

Phone: 1-888-333-6651

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Should you also desire additional assistance resolving this, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support

I've gotten the same response.

Need to make up their minds.
30th July 2010, 11:54 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 46

240 posts
GPS is a "network issue"?
Did the email really say that GPS was a network issue to be handled by our service provider? It's not a phone hardware issue? Well crap, I guess I'll have to call my GPS service provider.

Now where did I leave that main number for the US Air Force?

Me: "Hello Air Force, please fix my phone. Apparently there's a problem with your multi-billion dollar GPS constellation that's causing my consumer electronics device to malfunction."

AF: "Who is this?"

Me: "I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone and I demand you make it work!"

AF: "<inaudible> never should have turned off selective availability."

<click>
31st July 2010, 07:00 PM   |  #10  
Flag West Michigan

133 posts
More
Another bogus "I talked to Samsung and the fix is on the way post"

From my Samsung Captivate

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread