XDA Portal (Front Page): What Would You Like to See Improved?
As you might know, the last couple of months, a lot of changes have taken place to the XDA Portal
(also known as the "Front Page"). We have re-vamped the Portal with a new, modern look. We added the vote-to-front page system, the star system, a steady stream of news, plus a lot more. We have been brainstorming on how to improve the Portal to make it even better for XDA users. And while we came up with some nice ideas -- which will be added soon -- we figured it would be great to have your
opinion about the Portal!
As the end-user, you can probably tell us exactly what you like, and what you dislike about the Portal. Maybe you get annoyed at certain articles, or certain technical weaknesses of the site.
Or maybe you have ideas on how to improve the content to make the Portal more interesting for you. No matter what, every comment is really appreciated! And please be creative!
We'll consolidate your ideas and have a discussion with our developer and the News Writer team on what is possible and what makes sense to make the Portal more valuable.
- News Writers Team
List of Ideas
Originally Posted by orb3000
This Thread is Specially to talk about Front Page/Portal
This is a list of all ideas and suggestions, including credits to members. It could be possible that we misunderstood something - don't hesitate to post corrections here or PM me. We will keep this post updated as discussion continues.
Updated August 3d, 2010
- 'Blog-Style' Portal: Not only news from XDA, but also from the Android/WM World (keridel, hubie)
- Colours are a bit dull (Alex530) (some other members disagree)
- More posts (20) per Page (corn13read)
- Pagination Buttons bigger (corn13read)
- Option to Bookmark/Flag Certain Posts for Later Review (corn13read, JVH3)
- A more general forum/portal/wiki design (ThaDeanesta)
- An Excerpt of the Latest Articles in One Banner (orb3000)
- Dropdown Menu with all phones, leads to phone-specific news, ROMs and other software (hansmrtn)
- A system where developers can add a page for his/her project, and keep members updated with the latest progression (N!njaDuck) [more ideas about this here, by dor_neue]
- Filter RSS to specific OS (gilamran)
- An enhanced mobile version of the Portal -- after all, it's a website centered around smartphones (creesch, timmywa)
- Rating and Review system per Phone model (hubie)
- Phone comparison (hubie)
- Latest comments/most commented/most popular articles (hubie)
- Directly link without going into the article (Systrs)
- A Web 2.0/Flash Top News view (Dany0)
- Central Software Database: All software uploaded on the site gathered in a searchable database.(flyboyovyick)
- Online communication system that allows to ask questions to people that have general knowledge of WM/Android so newbies will get their answers solved quickly.
There have been some suggestions for the forums also; however we would like to keep the forums out of discussion.