Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,734 Members 40,205 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

??? New SIM card vs. Old SIM card ???

Tip us?

iunlock
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Default ??? New SIM card vs. Old SIM card ???

I noticed that the SIM cards keep changing every so often.

The new SIM cards have a smaller gold-metal surface area, whereas the older ones have a bigger gold-metal surface area.

Any ideas why?

Is there any benefit to swap out your SIM card to the newest? The SIM that comes in the box has a smaller gold-surface area.

(When was using previously using the iphone, my SIM was pretty beat up from switching phones all the time and the gold-metal part practically had indentations, which did give me reception problems. When I swapped it out with a new one at the store it did fix the problem. Obviously a surface contact problem.)

* Picture attached below *
-T---Mobile- USA | Fastest LTE+ @ 99.14 Mb/s / HSPA+ @ 40.93 Mb/s
Samsung Galaxy Note III | Soon: Note 4
Hyperdrive KK RLS3.1 | Compulsion Kernel 12 @ 2649 MHz
Retired: Jedi KK V1.1
Samsung 64GB PRO Class 10 Micro SDXC | 96GB of Goodness.

iPhone's for girls. Android's for Men. | Much Mahalo to all the hard working Dev's for all your dedication and time.

iunlock
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by iunlock View Post
I noticed that the SIM cards keep changing every so often.

The new SIM cards have a smaller gold-metal surface area, whereas the older ones have a bigger gold-metal surface area.

Any ideas why?

Is there any benefit to swap out your SIM card to the newest? The SIM that comes in the box has a smaller gold-surface area.

(When was using previously using the iphone, my SIM was pretty beat up from switching phones all the time and the gold-metal part practically had indentations, which did give me reception problems. When I swapped it out with a new one at the store it did fix the problem. Obviously a surface contact problem.)

* Picture attached below *
Here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SIMsim.jpg
Views:	2935
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	368652  

iPhone's for girls. Android's for Men. | Much Mahalo to all the hard working Dev's for all your dedication and time.

newspeak
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
I did have a weird situation where replacing the sim actually somehow increased my data speeds...the old sim was only a year old ...but i ain't complaining

didn't really notice any less surface area tho

iunlock
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by newspeak View Post
I did have a weird situation where replacing the sim actually somehow increased my data speeds...the old sim was only a year old ...but i ain't complaining

didn't really notice any less surface area tho
That's interesting....hmmm....now I'm really curious haha...

JD76
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I swapped out my 1 year old SIM as well and now im getting 3G signals in my house whereas my old sim would drop 3G service more often.

iceshinobi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Idk I change sim cards for all my phones since g1 since there's nothing on it ever since using google contacts

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Aphotix
Old
(Last edited by Aphotix; 28th July 2010 at 10:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
There is typically no need to replace your sim card unless you are having problems with it (ie not registering on the network.)

However older sim cards have a restriction on how many times they can register on the network, and after they hit the limit the phone will stop connecting, so if you want to prevent this issue (usually takes a couple years, and is a lot more likely in areas where your signal drops, for people who travel a lot, and in 3G coverages areas where you swap back and forth between 3G and 2G) you can use one of the newer sim cards. To Identify whether your sim is the newer variant with no registration restriction look at the back where the gold contacts are, if its a newer sim it will say in small lettering "TMXXXX" (where X is a number, ie TM4322) and it will also have an expiration date printed (it must be activated by this date or it becomes unusable.)

In terms of 2G/3G the sim card itself and its age should not make a difference as the capability to connect to those networks is dependent on the phone, not the sim. You can think of a sim card as a gateway that connects your phone to the billing system and authenticates it.

Having had said that, if you are having connection issues it could just be a defective sim card, to check, just place the sim in a phone that isn't having any connectivity problems, if it starts having problems, replace your sim.

In terms of the digit you highlighted in that picture, I believe it has to do with the manufacture year, although if I remember correctly its digits 4 and 5 that make up that information, but otherwise isn't anything important to a consumer.
lurk moar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aphotix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

newspeak
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
well i got curious and checked ....i have the bigger sim ...i don't think the numbers matter much

iunlock
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotix View Post
There is typically no need to replace your sim card unless you are having problems with it (ie not registering on the network.)

However older sim cards have a restriction on how many times they can register on the network, and after they hit the limit the phone will stop connecting, so if you want to prevent this issue (usually takes a couple years, and is a lot more likely in areas where your signal drops, for people who travel a lot, and in 3G coverages areas where you swap back and forth between 3G and 2G) you can use one of the newer sim cards. To Identify whether your sim is the newer variant with no registration restriction look at the back where the gold contacts are, if its a newer sim it will say in small lettering "TMXXXX" (where X is a number, ie TM4322) and it will also have an expiration date printed (it must be activated by this date or it becomes unusable.)

In terms of 2G/3G the sim card itself and its age should not make a difference as the capability to connect to those networks is dependent on the phone, not the sim. You can think of a sim card as a gateway that connects your phone to the billing system and authenticates it.

Having had said that, if you are having connection issues it could just be a defective sim card, to check, just place the sim in a phone that isn't having any connectivity problems, if it starts having problems, replace your sim.

In terms of the digit you highlighted in that picture, I believe it has to do with the manufacture year, although if I remember correctly its digits 4 and 5 that make up that information, but otherwise isn't anything important to a consumer.
Thanks for your input.

As for the exp. date, where is that located. I don't see it.

acspin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotix View Post

That's what I thought...until a lot of people started noticing better 3g connection/speeds with the new sim cards. Just a placebo effect perhaps?