??? New SIM card vs. Old SIM card ???

OP iunlock

28th July 2010, 08:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Honolulu
Thanks Meter: 66

724 posts
More
I noticed that the SIM cards keep changing every so often.

The new SIM cards have a smaller gold-metal surface area, whereas the older ones have a bigger gold-metal surface area.

Any ideas why?

Is there any benefit to swap out your SIM card to the newest? The SIM that comes in the box has a smaller gold-surface area.

(When was using previously using the iphone, my SIM was pretty beat up from switching phones all the time and the gold-metal part practically had indentations, which did give me reception problems. When I swapped it out with a new one at the store it did fix the problem. Obviously a surface contact problem.)

* Picture attached below *
28th July 2010, 09:02 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Honolulu

724 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iunlock

I noticed that the SIM cards keep changing every so often.

The new SIM cards have a smaller gold-metal surface area, whereas the older ones have a bigger gold-metal surface area.

Any ideas why?

Is there any benefit to swap out your SIM card to the newest? The SIM that comes in the box has a smaller gold-surface area.

(When was using previously using the iphone, my SIM was pretty beat up from switching phones all the time and the gold-metal part practically had indentations, which did give me reception problems. When I swapped it out with a new one at the store it did fix the problem. Obviously a surface contact problem.)

* Picture attached below *

Here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SIMsim.jpg
Views:	2958
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	368652  
28th July 2010, 09:05 PM   |  #3  
Flag Portland, Ore
Thanks Meter: 7

180 posts
Donate to Me
More
I did have a weird situation where replacing the sim actually somehow increased my data speeds...the old sim was only a year old ...but i ain't complaining

didn't really notice any less surface area tho
28th July 2010, 09:22 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Honolulu

724 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by newspeak

I did have a weird situation where replacing the sim actually somehow increased my data speeds...the old sim was only a year old ...but i ain't complaining

didn't really notice any less surface area tho

That's interesting....hmmm....now I'm really curious haha...
28th July 2010, 09:37 PM   |  #5  
Flag Queens, NY
Thanks Meter: 0

117 posts
More
I swapped out my 1 year old SIM as well and now im getting 3G signals in my house whereas my old sim would drop 3G service more often.
28th July 2010, 09:42 PM   |  #6  
Flag Orlando, FL

105 posts
More
Idk I change sim cards for all my phones since g1 since there's nothing on it ever since using google contacts

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
28th July 2010, 10:05 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

54 posts
More
There is typically no need to replace your sim card unless you are having problems with it (ie not registering on the network.)

However older sim cards have a restriction on how many times they can register on the network, and after they hit the limit the phone will stop connecting, so if you want to prevent this issue (usually takes a couple years, and is a lot more likely in areas where your signal drops, for people who travel a lot, and in 3G coverages areas where you swap back and forth between 3G and 2G) you can use one of the newer sim cards. To Identify whether your sim is the newer variant with no registration restriction look at the back where the gold contacts are, if its a newer sim it will say in small lettering "TMXXXX" (where X is a number, ie TM4322) and it will also have an expiration date printed (it must be activated by this date or it becomes unusable.)

In terms of 2G/3G the sim card itself and its age should not make a difference as the capability to connect to those networks is dependent on the phone, not the sim. You can think of a sim card as a gateway that connects your phone to the billing system and authenticates it.

Having had said that, if you are having connection issues it could just be a defective sim card, to check, just place the sim in a phone that isn't having any connectivity problems, if it starts having problems, replace your sim.

In terms of the digit you highlighted in that picture, I believe it has to do with the manufacture year, although if I remember correctly its digits 4 and 5 that make up that information, but otherwise isn't anything important to a consumer.
Last edited by Aphotix; 28th July 2010 at 10:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aphotix For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2010, 10:33 PM   |  #8  
Flag Portland, Ore
Thanks Meter: 7

180 posts
Donate to Me
More
well i got curious and checked ....i have the bigger sim ...i don't think the numbers matter much
28th July 2010, 11:22 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Honolulu

724 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotix

There is typically no need to replace your sim card unless you are having problems with it (ie not registering on the network.)

However older sim cards have a restriction on how many times they can register on the network, and after they hit the limit the phone will stop connecting, so if you want to prevent this issue (usually takes a couple years, and is a lot more likely in areas where your signal drops, for people who travel a lot, and in 3G coverages areas where you swap back and forth between 3G and 2G) you can use one of the newer sim cards. To Identify whether your sim is the newer variant with no registration restriction look at the back where the gold contacts are, if its a newer sim it will say in small lettering "TMXXXX" (where X is a number, ie TM4322) and it will also have an expiration date printed (it must be activated by this date or it becomes unusable.)

In terms of 2G/3G the sim card itself and its age should not make a difference as the capability to connect to those networks is dependent on the phone, not the sim. You can think of a sim card as a gateway that connects your phone to the billing system and authenticates it.

Having had said that, if you are having connection issues it could just be a defective sim card, to check, just place the sim in a phone that isn't having any connectivity problems, if it starts having problems, replace your sim.

In terms of the digit you highlighted in that picture, I believe it has to do with the manufacture year, although if I remember correctly its digits 4 and 5 that make up that information, but otherwise isn't anything important to a consumer.

Thanks for your input.

As for the exp. date, where is that located. I don't see it.
29th July 2010, 01:03 AM   |  #10  

25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotix

That's what I thought...until a lot of people started noticing better 3g connection/speeds with the new sim cards. Just a placebo effect perhaps?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread