Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 51,935 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The populairty of apple explained, despite the 4g

Tip us?
 
da-vid
Old
#41  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 86
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows;
I see the opposite. I see depth in conversation. Yes, there's a few kiddies and a few people that look a little slow because of their translations, but for the more part, people are a little more insightful and less naive here than what I've seen on Mac sites. Over there, they will try anything to stick with the LIE.
Okay, there are definitely extremely rabid Apple fans on Mac fansites. I don't really regular any of those either. But to be honest, the discussions here are worse. There are at least people over at, for example, MacRumors who will concede and disagree with Apple, but of many conversations here, I've seen far more insanely and unreasonably critical posts of Apple for no discernible reason. This thread, for example. What exactly was the point of making fun of Apple's company name? Mac fanboys don't even reach that territory on Windows and Android.

And yeah, I know there are a lot of non-native English speakers here. That doesn't change my point though, because ignoring the bad grammar, the thoughts in many of these threads seem to have come out of young children.
 
rorytmeadows
Old
(Last edited by rorytmeadows; 2nd August 2010 at 10:23 PM.)
#42  
rorytmeadows's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 215
Posts: 2,391
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charleston, SC metro area

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-vid View Post
Macs have a much higher resale value than PCs. That makes up for the higher initial cost, I think.
This is an incorrect slant statement, done in the style of Apple (congratulations, you're just like them!). Resale value can be based on a lot of things. Some of those things include how long they last, how dependable the hardware is, how easy they are to wipe for a new owner, etc etc. I can easily make the case that a PC has better resale value because it's easier to wipe clean, people know more about them, and they can get their mileage because they are customizable. But you have to remember, that people are spending a lot of money on Apple computers. Thus, they aren't going to be buying another one anytime soon. Factor that in to their availability, and it drives the price up. Again, they might be more expensive used, but that's because they are rarer, not because they are more dependable. In a few years, the hardware becomes obsolete because you can't upgrade and/or there were little options in the first place.

Simply, computers don't have consistent resale. Processors, motherboards, ports, and other essential pieces of computers do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da-vid View Post
And while I would agree that some of the students with Macs buy it because it's "cool," I know plenty of people who legitimately like OS X better than Windows.
And they will all deny that they are buying it for "cool". Who's going to admit that? I can tear down anyone's "liking" of Macs and make them look foolish, as long as they don't get super aggressive with the "SHUT UP! PCs SUCK!" response I usually get 5 minutes in (they get so frustrated when they realize they made a foolish purchase).

Quote:
Originally Posted by da-vid View Post
But I think for most offices, Macs can do the job just as good as PCs can. Other than some specialized software in certain fields, I honestly don't see how having the technical know-how to do things on a PC gets you any farther than on a Mac.
This makes me think that you have no true experience with enterprise-anything.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113492765344092
RTM

XDA's #1 Apple hater

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Stock 4.4.2
 
M_T_M
Old
#43  
M_T_M's Avatar
Seņor Moderator - uoy llort ot tnaem si eltit sihT
Thanks Meter 5357
Posts: 17,576
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-vid View Post
I'm frustrated with the replies to this thread. I assumed you were/are part of the mindless Apple-bashing crew, seeing as how you ignored the irony in the post I originally quoted and proceeded to derogatorily call me an "Apple lover."
See...that where the problem resides...you thought I was calling you an "Apple-Lover" (sound-bite) but no...au contraire...I was just answering your question with a non-sensical remark
And then you carried this attack on my persona calling me ignorant not once but three times
You don't know me and yet you've came up with your own conclusions based on a single post.
watcher64 Old
(Last edited by watcher64; 3rd August 2010 at 12:04 AM.)
#44  
Guest
Thanks Meter
Posts: n/a
Just going to make a few statements see and use them as you please ..

1.) PC's /Windows you buy it and put whatever operating system you want on it(except MAC of course)

2.) Mac's Current MACs sport the same hardware as PC's don't let the marketing noise fool you, same sata drives, same usb, same screens, same cpu's, and same memory.

3.) Mac's use an Intel based board in the new machines, this exact same board is available to purchase for a PC, with the exception of the asic that Apple puts on there to make it "Proprietary"

4.) Mac's may be perceived "more stable", but truly is only perception.

5.) Mac's OSX is not a "great new original operating system", OSX is built on a base of BSD with the Apple Kernel, and UI in front of it.
 
Purple Drama Llama
Old
#45  
Purple Drama Llama's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 46
Posts: 2,612
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher64 View Post
Just going to make a few statements see and use them as you please ..

1.) PC's /Windows you buy it and put whatever operating system you want on it(except MAC of course)

2.) Mac's Current MACs sport the same hardware as PC's don't let the marketing noise fool you, same sata drives, same usb, same screens, same cpu's, and same memory.

3.) Mac's use an Intel based board in the new machines, this exact same board is available to purchase for a PC, with the exception of the asic that Apple puts on there to make it "Proprietary"

4.) Mac's may be perceived "more stable", but truly is only perception.

5.) Mac's OSX is not a "great new original operating system", OSX is built on a base of BSD with the Apple Kernel, and UI in front of it.
Honestly, Mac OSX looks just like Ubuntu to me.... just throwin' out there....




Quote:
Originally Posted by G1BRICKED View Post
I'm so cute. My teacher yelled at me because some girl almost bit me and I was like "Ahh crap . See! All the girls are always on me!
 
da-vid
Old
(Last edited by da-vid; 3rd August 2010 at 06:28 AM.)
#46  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 86
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
This is an incorrect slant statement, done in the style of Apple (congratulations, you're just like them!). Resale value can be based on a lot of things. Some of those things include how long they last, how dependable the hardware is, how easy they are to wipe for a new owner, etc etc. I can easily make the case that a PC has better resale value because it's easier to wipe clean, people know more about them, and they can get their mileage because they are customizable. But you have to remember, that people are spending a lot of money on Apple computers. Thus, they aren't going to be buying another one anytime soon. Factor that in to their availability, and it drives the price up. Again, they might be more expensive used, but that's because they are rarer, not because they are more dependable. In a few years, the hardware becomes obsolete because you can't upgrade and/or there were little options in the first place.

Simply, computers don't have consistent resale. Processors, motherboards, ports, and other essential pieces of computers do.



And they will all deny that they are buying it for "cool". Who's going to admit that? I can tear down anyone's "liking" of Macs and make them look foolish, as long as they don't get super aggressive with the "SHUT UP! PCs SUCK!" response I usually get 5 minutes in (they get so frustrated when they realize they made a foolish purchase).



This makes me think that you have no true experience with enterprise-anything.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113492765344092
Wait, how is it easier to wipe a PC clean? And how does "people knowing more about them" and PCs being more "customizable" affect resale value? The first portion of your post makes little sense.

And one thing about Apple is that they don't emphasize on hard specs. This annoys PC users, who have these ridiculously fast machines for relatively cheap prices. Take a look at the Samsung Galaxy S and the iPhone 3GS. If a person who had no prior knowledge about either phone used each of them for a day, they'd probably think that the 3GS has better specs, because the Galaxy S's UI lags while the iPhone's does not.

And please don't add in the lack of upgradeability for old hardware as part of your argument. Apple is *the best* at supporting old devices. You can have a MacBook from 2006 run the latest version of OS X smoothly. You can have the iPhone 3G run iOS 4 -- a *two year old* device. The original iPhone was given updates for *three years* (it received 1.x, 2.x, AND 3.x). Let's take a look at HTC: they're rolling out... Android 2.1 with Sense for the Hero, which came pretty late and will probably be the last major update for that phone.

One of the main reasons Apple's products have higher resale value is because they're supported by Apple for years down the road, generally much longer than those companies who launch five new laptops or phones per month.

(Note: I am a fan of HTC. They are also better at updates than a lot of other companies; just not Apple.)

----

Um, so just because some people buy Macs because they're cool, everyone automatically does? Can't I say that students only buy PCs because they want to avoid Apple's mainstream products?

----

No, I have no true experience with enterprise-anything. You're correct. Please give me examples about how having technical know-how on PCs gets you farther than on Macs.
 
da-vid
Old
#47  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 86
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_T_M View Post
See...that where the problem resides...you thought I was calling you an "Apple-Lover" (sound-bite) but no...au contraire...I was just answering your question with a non-sensical remark
And then you carried this attack on my persona calling me ignorant not once but three times
You don't know me and yet you've came up with your own conclusions based on a single post.
I saw the irony in the post. You said that only the "Apple lover" sees the irony in the post. How is that not calling me an Apple lover?

I automatically assume all people who arbitrarily attack Apple users/fans are unintelligent. If you were somehow not trying to be insulting in your first reply to me, then I apologize, and request that you explain how exactly your post was not an attempt to be insulting.
 
da-vid
Old
#48  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 86
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher64 View Post
Just going to make a few statements see and use them as you please ..

1.) PC's /Windows you buy it and put whatever operating system you want on it(except MAC of course)

2.) Mac's Current MACs sport the same hardware as PC's don't let the marketing noise fool you, same sata drives, same usb, same screens, same cpu's, and same memory.

3.) Mac's use an Intel based board in the new machines, this exact same board is available to purchase for a PC, with the exception of the asic that Apple puts on there to make it "Proprietary"

4.) Mac's may be perceived "more stable", but truly is only perception.

5.) Mac's OSX is not a "great new original operating system", OSX is built on a base of BSD with the Apple Kernel, and UI in front of it.
You can put whatever OS you want on your Mac, too.

And look, Linux is extremely user-unfriendly. My whole argument is based on how Apple makes awesome UI's while other companies like Microsoft and Google for some reason either do not find it as important or are just not as skilled at it.

The better UI design might explain some of the "perceived" stability, but in my opinion, OS X is really more stable than Windows. I have no scientific proof of this, but I've had no major software problems with my Mac for almost two years, whereas the majority of PC users I know (including myself, members of my family, and my friends) has. My HP laptop stopped starting up one day, so I did a restore and it began working again -- except every app started crashing after several minutes of use. My brother's VAIO had at least one BSoD within the first week of owning it. My friend at school, who *is* tech-savvy, had his Dell XPS 13 fail to boot up in the middle of the day. And his (extended) battery sometimes drained quickly even while the laptop was asleep.

These all sound like software issues to me. And don't get me started on the bloatware that comes with most/all PCs.

Macs ARE a new operating system. If the UI is completely overhauled, that qualifies as a new operating system to me, because the UI is really the only thing that matters (assuming everything else performs at least adequately). iOS and OS X have literally flawless UI's that are not only nice-looking, but make the experience of using your computer better.
watcher64 Old
#49  
Guest
Thanks Meter
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-vid View Post
You can put whatever OS you want on your Mac, too.

And look, Linux is extremely user-unfriendly. My whole argument is based on how Apple makes awesome UI's while other companies like Microsoft and Google for some reason either do not find it as important or are just not as skilled at it.

The better UI design might explain some of the "perceived" stability, but in my opinion, OS X is really more stable than Windows. I have no scientific proof of this, but I've had no major software problems with my Mac for almost two years, whereas the majority of PC users I know (including myself, members of my family, and my friends) has. My HP laptop stopped starting up one day, so I did a restore and it began working again -- except every app started crashing after several minutes of use. My brother's VAIO had at least one BSoD within the first week of owning it. My friend at school, who *is* tech-savvy, had his Dell XPS 13 fail to boot up in the middle of the day. And his (extended) battery sometimes drained quickly even while the laptop was asleep.

These all sound like software issues to me. And don't get me started on the bloatware that comes with most/all PCs.

Macs ARE a new operating system. If the UI is completely overhauled, that qualifies as a new operating system to me, because the UI is really the only thing that matters (assuming everything else performs at least adequately). iOS and OS X have literally flawless UI's that are not only nice-looking, but make the experience of using your computer better.
In your opinion, that is, there is no rating scale to see how "flawless" a UI is, personally I can't stand the MAC UI, and I have owned MAC's, I think the UI was designed by "Fisher Price" it is simple, less powerful. So to say that the UI is what really makes an Apple better is like saying all Red cars are better than all Blue cars, it is not the shiny stuff on the outside that makes one OS/Hardware better than another.
 
hungry81
Old
(Last edited by hungry81; 3rd August 2010 at 04:51 PM.)
#50  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 85
Posts: 576
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-vid View Post
You can put whatever OS you want on your Mac, too.

And look, Linux is extremely user-unfriendly. My whole argument is based on how Apple makes awesome UI's while other companies like Microsoft and Google for some reason either do not find it as important or are just not as skilled at it.

The better UI design might explain some of the "perceived" stability, but in my opinion, OS X is really more stable than Windows. I have no scientific proof of this, but I've had no major software problems with my Mac for almost two years, whereas the majority of PC users I know (including myself, members of my family, and my friends) has. My HP laptop stopped starting up one day, so I did a restore and it began working again -- except every app started crashing after several minutes of use. My brother's VAIO had at least one BSoD within the first week of owning it. My friend at school, who *is* tech-savvy, had his Dell XPS 13 fail to boot up in the middle of the day. And his (extended) battery sometimes drained quickly even while the laptop was asleep.

These all sound like software issues to me. And don't get me started on the bloatware that comes with most/all PCs.

Macs ARE a new operating system. If the UI is completely overhauled, that qualifies as a new operating system to me, because the UI is really the only thing that matters (assuming everything else performs at least adequately). iOS and OS X have literally flawless UI's that are not only nice-looking, but make the experience of using your computer better.

Quick believe him he says its true so it must be. Unsubstantiated stories and conjecture are always true. Or not. For proof that macs arnt all roses and sunshine please see the below links, from actual mac users.


http://www.brokenmacbook.com/

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1411?v...s&locale=en_us

http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...301&tstart=255

http://www.zdnet.com.au/mac-os-x-hac...s%2Bx%2Bhacked

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29011823

Thankyou.


Evo 3D (GSM) HTC root + Stock rom
with unwanted bloatware removed

HTC HD2 (LEO) T8585
WM6.5 Rom:5.2.23149 (Duttys HD2 Family Rom V9 WWE) with SPB MS 3.5.5
Android Rom: American android With Spb shell 3D
Radio: 2.15.50.14


Phone: SE Xperia X1a silver, rom: SEX1-R5.07-PURE 11/26/09, radio:1.14.25.55 OS:WM 6.1 with SPB MS 3.5.5 Battery dead Back to life

Tags
apple, defects, iphone, lawsuits
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Software Build Automation with Jenkins – XDA Developer TV

Many members of the XDA community come to learn and begin in the exciting … more

Add Bits and Pieces of Honami to Your Current ROM

In the last few months, we’ve talked about quite a few Sony Honami-related projects. … more

Always Enter the Correct Password with HideNoPasswords

If you’ve ever entered apassword on your mobile device, you’ve surely … more

Revert to Stock Recovery Effortless with Simple Recovery Switcher

Android updates released as OTA packages are very easy to apply,but they … more