Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,698 Members 49,441 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moving ANY app to SD on FroYo (or how to Enable all grayed out 'Move to SD' buttons)'

Tip us?

well0549
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsehawk View Post
I talked to HTC today about this and they said if I do that what u told here that the 2 year-guarantee will be screwed. So thx but no thx! They also said that in future, when other app-makers will make an new app, it will be the only way to make them via FroYo and then all new ones will be able to move to SD-card. So have patiance before U screw up the guarantee.
Well i don't know who you talked to at HTC, but there is nothig illegal and it is IMPOSSIBLE to break your phone with this.

It could only void warranty if HTC could prove it was not their fault.

Since this is just a system setting invented by google and exposed by google, and documented by google, made possible thanks to HTC's own sync program, it seems very unlikely that HTC can revoke their warranty.

Before they can do such a thing they have to prove that what you did broke the phone. I doubt that they can EVER make it stick.

They also said that rooting would void warranty. But that's no longer the case either !. rooting is legal !.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 (maybe this is too big for me,,)

Previous Android Device:
Samsung Galaxy S2 (has exacly the right size for a phone)
HTC Desire (Awesome for it's days)

Previous WM Devices
HTC Touch Diamond2 (Great device ! Restored my faith in HTC)
HTC S730 (Bad build quality, low on memory, bad device)
IMATE-SP5 (Solid Build quality, everything worked flawlesly)

Tomaco
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
I talked to HTC today about this and they said if I do that what u told here that the 2 year-guarantee will be screwed. So thx but no thx! They also said that in future, when other app-makers will make an new app, it will be the only way to make them via FroYo and then all new ones will be able to move to SD-card. So have patiance before U screw up the guarantee.
if you want to reclaim your phone just use same command with 0 value

to topic : do not try to move widgets to SD card.. you will broke them

Tomaco
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by well0549 View Post
!. rooting is legal !.
yes but that doesnt mean that you cant lose your waranty

bubblesmoney
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Well after reading the forums I found a lot op people complained about not beeing able to push an app to the SD card. And you don't have to root your phone for it. it will give you access to the 'Move to SD' button regardless if the programmer adapted his program for 2.2 yet.

With ADB you can do so very easy !, and there is no root required.

The steps you have to take to make this possible :

1. Install HTC Sync (see : http://www.htc.com/ (select your device, download, and install ))
2. Install Android developers kit. (See http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-hacks...or-htc-evo-4g/ for a detailed how to.)

Start ADB.

Use : adb shell pm setInstallLocation [option]

Where option is one of:

0 [auto] Let the system decide.
1 [internal only]
2 [external]

I did this on my Phone and went to the settings and moved every app to SD. On this moment I have 70 MB free where previously i would have the ugly notification saying I needed to free up space. So this trick seems to work.

Not everything is moved to the SD card, but about 50% to 70% of an app can be moved. The only app that left a substantial footprint on the device is Navigon. This one dropped from 20 MB to about 18 MB.

Everything is still functional and i have not noticed any negative effects so far.....
thaaaaaaaaaanks a million. the no memory alerts and apps to internal memory only android crap / official froyo way of apps2sd is doing my head in. time to check out how to do this now without rooting and keep my warranty.

may you win the lottery millions this week...... and me win the next week

Norsehawk
Old
(Last edited by Norsehawk; 2nd August 2010 at 01:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Well i don't know who you talked to at HTC, but there is nothig illegal and it is IMPOSSIBLE to break your phone with this.

It could only void warranty if HTC could prove it was not their fault.

Since this is just a system setting invented by google and exposed by google, and documented by google, made possible thanks to HTC's own sync program, it seems very unlikely that HTC can revoke their warranty.

Before they can do such a thing they have to prove that what you did broke the phone. I doubt that they can EVER make it stick.

They also said that rooting would void warranty. But that's no longer the case either !. rooting is legal !.
Well I have heard the other side of the coin as well. Even if I gave u a name of the person I spoked with (it was swedish support) it wouldn't give u any kind of clue at all. But he has spoken with HTC-technicians and they all said that if u root it or as much as change something in the cmd-prompt, it will be f-cked up and 2 year-warranty will be screwed. I talked with him today, maybe an hour ago and I doubt that he talked bs.

So if the day comes and u have to send ure phone for repair, I think they can see what u have done with ure phone. I'm just saying that this thing that u wrote and tell everyone, maybe u shall speak with HTC first and get their approval BEFORE u tell everyone here what to do? It's kind of risky u know.. I have paid 470 EUR for the phone in april, so what makes u think that I will root it or change something in cmd-prompt?

And btw, HTC did also told me that in the future all app-makers will make their apps for FroYo, wich means that in the upcomming future every app will be removable to the SD-card. Kind of stupid to rush things up, don't u think? But okay, it's ure phone do whatever u want...
2010-04-14 is the date when I got my first smartphone, a HTC Desire.

Norsehawk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaco View Post
yes but that doesnt mean that you cant lose your waranty
+1

The waranty is 2 year long, so I don't think that I will root it at all.

jedininja666
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Well I have heard the other side of the coin as well. Even if I gave u a name of the person I spoked with (it was swedish support) it wouldn't give u any kind of clue at all. But he has spoken with HTC-technicians and they all said that if u root it or as much as change something in the cmd-prompt, it will be f-cked up and 2 year-warranty will be screwed. I talked with him today, maybe an hour ago and I doubt that he talked bs.

So if the day comes and u have to send ure phone for repair, I think they can see what u have done with ure phone. I'm just saying that this thing that u wrote and tell everyone, maybe u shall speak with HTC first and get their approval BEFORE u tell everyone here what to do? It's kind of risky u know.. I have paid 470 EUR for the phone in april, so what makes u think that I will root it or change something in cmd-prompt?

And btw, HTC did also told me that in the future all app-makers will make their apps for FroYo, wich means that in the upcomming future every app will be removable to the SD-card. Kind of stupid to rush things up, don't u think? But okay, it's ure phone do whatever u want...
Sorry but this is utter hogwash! As long as you haven't changed your HBOOT from what it was at the time you got your phone, and can find the ROM which takes your phone back to what it was, there is NO WAY HTC can tell you've done anything whatsoever. Apart from maybe use a SIM Unlock code (which I bought).

Norsehawk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedininja666 View Post
Sorry but this is utter hogwash! As long as you haven't changed your HBOOT from what it was at the time you got your phone, and can find the ROM which takes your phone back to what it was, there is NO WAY HTC can tell you've done anything whatsoever. Apart from maybe use a SIM Unlock code (which I bought).
Well why don't u do that and then send ure phone for repair just for "fun"? Do that and then come back and write what has happend and if there is any warranty left - or not.

well0549
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
+1

The waranty is 2 year long, so I don't think that I will root it at all.
Don't know what country you are from. But I know here in holland we consumers do have rights. And I will always win if we went to court !

Furthermore i think the person you spoke with really doesn't know what he is talking about. This is not only a HTC issue but will work on any Froyo phone.... It's just part of the android OS.

If they would not allow it they could have taken it out. HTC froyo is not stock froyo. Some things are modified in the OS to make Sense behave like it does. They could have taken this out but they didn't.

Would be like toyota saying their warranty is lost if you drive with the boot open. Your statement and claims are utter NONSE.

That the person you spoke with doesn't like this setting is totally clear to me. Cause now they cannot sell that 'new phone exactly like the desire but this time with 8 GB internal memory allowing for enough apps to be installed' they were thinking of.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 (maybe this is too big for me,,)

Previous Android Device:
Samsung Galaxy S2 (has exacly the right size for a phone)
HTC Desire (Awesome for it's days)

Previous WM Devices
HTC Touch Diamond2 (Great device ! Restored my faith in HTC)
HTC S730 (Bad build quality, low on memory, bad device)
IMATE-SP5 (Solid Build quality, everything worked flawlesly)

foxmeister
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Well why don't u do that and then send ure phone for repair just for "fun"? Do that and then come back and write what has happend and if there is any warranty left - or not.

Sent my rooted phone back for a warranty repair and it was fixed without issue.

Regards,

Dave