Remapping hardware keyboard on rooted u20i. Where to look? :)

Search This thread

michalko58

Aug 10, 2010
When I was editing my X10 mini pro from qwerty to qwertz, I have only edited the file "keyprint.xml" in system/usr/keyboard-config.

I editet there <script name="latin" keylayout="qwerty-en" /> to <script name="latin" keylayout="qwertz" /> and everything works fine.

So all you have to do is edit the line for latin in the "keyprint.xml" file to: <script name="latin" keylayout="qwerty-en" /> ;)

Reactions: Gauchomatero

sherman

May 12, 2006
Roquetas de Mar
Please i'm a little noob with this...

¿could you explain how did you that step by step?

I don't know how to copy the file to the pc and edit it (notepad??) and then restore again to the phone...

Or how to edit the file whith the phone shell ¿?¿?

Thanks

When I was editing my X10 mini pro from qwerty to qwertz, I have only edited the file "keyprint.xml" in system/usr/keyboard-config.

I editet there <script name="latin" keylayout="qwerty-en" /> to <script name="latin" keylayout="qwertz" /> and everything works fine.

So all you have to do is edit the line for latin in the "keyprint.xml" file to: <script name="latin" keylayout="qwerty-en" /> ;)

hugoget

Aug 12, 2010
Lisbon
Please i'm a little noob with this...

¿could you explain how did you that step by step?

I don't know how to copy the file to the pc and edit it (notepad??) and then restore again to the phone...

Or how to edit the file whith the phone shell ¿?¿?

Thanks

I would like to know that as well, I'm from Portugal and when I go to edit the keyprint file with the root explorer it says 'read-only file'

EDIT: figured it out. I copied the file 'keyprint' in system/usr/keyboard-config to the sdcard with the root explorer, then I connected the phone to the computer and edited it in the notepad on the row that's like this -> <script name="latin" keylayout="qwerty-en" /> to <script name="latin" keylayout="qwerty-br" />, finally I saved it on the sdcard, disconnected, went to the root explorer, deleted the original keyprint and pasted the one from the sd! done! :D

Last edited:

sherman

May 12, 2006
Roquetas de Mar
I would like to know that as well, I'm from Portugal and when I go to edit the keyprint file with the root explorer it says 'read-only file'

EDIT: figured it out. I copied the file 'keyprint' in system/usr/keyboard-config to the sdcard with the root explorer, then I connected the phone to the computer and edited it in the notepad on the row that's like this -> <script name="latin" keylayout="qwerty-en" /> to <script name="latin" keylayout="qwerty-br" />, finally I saved it on the sdcard, disconnected, went to the root explorer, deleted the original keyprint and pasted the one from the sd! done! :D

ok, but if the file on the system/usr/keyboard-config is 'read-only' how did u deleted it? I'm trying but i can't....

ok, just have to push the square up and right "mount R/W" the filesystem on root explorer :)

Last edited:

michalko58

Aug 10, 2010
ok, but if the file on the system/usr/keyboard-config is 'read-only' how did u deleted it? I'm trying but i can't....

ok, just have to push the square up and right "mount R/W" the filesystem on root explorer :)

I have copied it from my phone via Astro File Manager (you can use any file manager that is able to copy files) to sdcard. Then i have edited the keyprint.xml in the computer (using notepad - or you can use XML Notepad 2007 - free by Microsoft).

To copy the file you have to follow instructions mentioned in this thread, so the whole operation is:
Code:
adb push keyprint.xml /sdcard

adb shell
$ su
# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
# cd /system/usr/keyboard-config                                                                                  
# rm -r keyprint.xml                                                     /*this command removes the keyprint file*/                                                                                             
# cp -r /sdcard/keyprint.xml /system/usr/keyboard-config
# mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
# reboot

Squezzz

Aug 7, 2010
NN
Please help , I want to add the switch language (RUS-ENG) in to "Sym"-button on keypad . Where I can find this and what I should to change ?
Thanks for attention.

ts113294

Jan 15, 2009
BG
I have edited the file in /system/usr/keyboard-config/layouts/cyrillic.xml and now i'm able to use phonetic bulgarian keyboard instead "SE bulgarian edition" keyboard layout. It's good idea to backup the file in first.

Last edited:

ts113294

Jan 15, 2009
BG
Edit the file on your PC, delete the old one from phone and put new edited file in the same place... it should work fine, try to change language to Бул (bulgarian) instead Рус (Russian)
To put the file back into the phone I used root explorer if thats help.

michalko58

Aug 10, 2010
Edit the file on your PC, delete the old one from phone and put new edited file in the same place... it should work fine, try to change language to Бул (bulgarian) instead Рус (Russian)
To put the file back into the phone I used root explorer if thats help.

So I did everything right (I hope so), but the phone still refuses to write like I want. With original cyrillic file I can write normally russian. When i put there my edited file it is impossible to write russian letters on hw keyboard. I don´t know what am I doing wrong :( There is only qwerty then.

tcprado

Mar 22, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
0x00-0x1f Ignore
0x20-0x37f key
-0x*0 Index(?)
-0x*4 display label
-0x*6 fn
-0x*8 base
-0x*A caps
-0x*C caps+fn
-0x*E number key(?)

ex)
0x034A0: 4B 00 00 00 27 00 2D 00 27 00 2D 00 2D 00 2D 00 | K...'.-.'.-.-.-.
to
0x034A0: 4B 00 00 00 27 00 2D 00 27 00 2D 00 5F 00 2D 00 | K...'.-.'._.-.-.

Thank you! using Hexplorer makes the job easier! I remapped my keyboard to have the cedilla key (ç) and use it's (c) as apostrophe as well (').

worked like a charm!

reyebr

Nov 23, 2008
And how how exactly did you succeed? When I have edited my cyrillic.xml, the phone ignored it anyway...
Guys please help. I'm trying to remam keys on my x10 mini pro and I don't know how to go about it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm quite aware that this postiting may be inserted in the incorrect place in this thread, but please forgive me (I've got bad vision and don't really know how else to post a question)

Oh yes, I was thinking of remapping the volume keys to dpad up and down respectively and the back and search to dpad left and right. Please help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all.

As subject states im looking for information about where i should look for altering the keyboard mapping on my u20i. :) I've tried looking in /system/usr/, but cant seem to find the right file.

Help would be appriciated. :)

regards, Heien.
    0x00-0x1f Ignore
    0x20-0x37f key
    -0x*0 Index(?)
    -0x*4 display label
    -0x*6 fn
    -0x*8 base
    -0x*A caps
    -0x*C caps+fn
    -0x*E number key(?)

ex)
    0x034A0: 4B 00 00 00 27 00 2D 00 27 00 2D 00 2D 00 2D 00 | K...'.-.'.-.-.-.
    to
    0x034A0: 4B 00 00 00 27 00 2D 00 27 00 2D 00 5F 00 2D 00 | K...'.-.'._.-.-.