Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,949 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ROM - Deodexed with root, newest busybox, supports JAC kernel, no more lag fix

Tip us?

anomalous3
Old
(Last edited by anomalous3; 12th August 2010 at 09:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default ROM - Deodexed with root, newest busybox, supports JAC kernel, no more lag fix

This has been updated to be deodexed+root+busybox only (though it still supports JAC kernel out of the box). At this point there are so many different lag fixes that it's hard to keep up with them all.
What it does have:
ROOT
No .odex files (deodexed)
Newest Busybox
ext manipulation files and libs, so it makes it easier to e2fsck or tune2fsck if you want ext4.

Also thanks to eugene373 for his work in establishing a baseline update.zip without which this would have taken a great deal more work.

Should work in clockwork, doesn't seem to need a wipe. If you have problems, use regular recovery, just rename it to "update.zip" on the root of your sdcard and it should flash just fine.

WARNING:
This should be completely safe. Nonetheless, should loss of job/loss of fertility/nuclear war ensue, I am not responsible.

Instructions:
1. Load the .zip file onto the root of your internal SD card (/sdcard)

2. Using Clockwork recovery, do "Install zip from SD card", then "Choose zip from sdcard", choose the VibrantDeodexed.zip, and choose "Yes"

2b.(ONLY If you don't have Clockwork) rename the download to "update.zip" and place it on the root of your sdcard. Then reboot into recovery and choose "Update packages".

3. (Optional) Flash JAC's kernel with ODIN using the directions specified HERE It is more stable and gets better benchmarks but there do seem to be some issues with the screen taking a while to wake up.

http://www.getyourboneon.com/VibrantDeodexed1_2.zip

NOTE: The first boot takes a long time because it has to dexopt stuff.
Samsung Vibrant, usually running my own homebrew of whatever's hot.

anomalous3
Old
(Last edited by anomalous3; 12th August 2010 at 09:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Version 1.0:
Just stock and rooted w/busybox

Version 1.1:
Uses the latest version of busybox and comes with support for JAC kernel out of the box (no need to flash the init.d update.zip and supersedes my method if his kernel is flashed.)

Version 1.2:
Updated busybox, added ext tools. Removed all lag fixes, though it will still work with the JAC kernels.
There are so many lag fixes out there at the moment that I didn't want to "lock in" people to a particular one.
Samsung Vibrant, usually running my own homebrew of whatever's hot.

davbran
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Part of the high quadrant score is the 90 million triangles/sec. The data script boosts the data score.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Freedomcaller
Old
Thanks Meter 2
what is the ext hack? and how does it make the phone faster?

junkdruggler
Old
(Last edited by junkdruggler; 3rd August 2010 at 03:06 PM.) Reason: link to hack
Thanks Meter 10
the ext hack puts the data and dalvik cache on the sdcard on an ext2/3 partition...

it brought my quadrant score from 850-950 up to 1400-1500

its like apps2sd but the apps part is still on the phones internal memory...
original link is here for the hack--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739647

anomalous, thanks for all your hard work...
so if we get a good deodexed rom, someone could compile JIT for our 2.1 right?
My phone has been flashed more than Girl's Gone Wild..

Current Devices:
T-Mobile Vibrant-- Still rocking Axura 2.0.3 Themed by me
T-Mobile MyTouch Slide-- Rooted CM6 nightly
T-mobile G1, My favorite Android...-- Rooted since forever, with my own version of CM4.2.15

Did I help? Like what I do? follow me on Twitter or maybe
Donate

Freedomcaller
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkdruggler View Post
the ext hack puts the data and dalvik cache on the sdcard on an ext2/3 partition...

it brought my quadrant score from 850-950 up to 1400-1500

its like apps2sd but the apps part is still on the phones internal memory...
why does the phone run faster with the data stored externaly? or is it because of the partition type?

junkdruggler
Old
Thanks Meter 10
im not quite sure, I would have figured our internal mem had a faster transfer rate than an sdcard, but Im on a class 2 and still getting better results... so it cant be a faster transfer rate...
My phone has been flashed more than Girl's Gone Wild..

Current Devices:
T-Mobile Vibrant-- Still rocking Axura 2.0.3 Themed by me
T-Mobile MyTouch Slide-- Rooted CM6 nightly
T-mobile G1, My favorite Android...-- Rooted since forever, with my own version of CM4.2.15

Did I help? Like what I do? follow me on Twitter or maybe
Donate

designerfx
Old
(Last edited by designerfx; 3rd August 2010 at 03:37 PM.) Reason: better explanation
Thanks Meter 7
@freedom: put simply, EXT formats run way faster than Fat32, which is what the rest of the storage is.
wiki: EXT3 (common format) and ext4 (latest)
edit: better explanation here

However, I'd most love to see either one of the internal storage (app storage or the other internal) finding a way to be put into EXT3, as that would probably run better than any sdcard.

eugene373
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7298

DONATE TO ME
Just so everyone Knows, the Format via the update script don't work, still trying to find the correct command for it....

But, in clockworkmod, just format the system / data / cache partition's before flashing.
Image Hosting Provided by http://i.imgur.com
TMO SGS2 & Nexus S
Eugene373's github
T-Mobile US

Follow me on Twitter.
http://twitter.com/#!/Eugene373

Like my Work, Buy Me a RedBull by clicking on my Can

Just Remember, Only you can Stop XDA Forest Fires!

Disconn3ct
Old
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by designerfx View Post
@freedom: put simply, EXT formats run way faster than Fat32, which is what the rest of the storage is.
wiki: EXT3 (common format) and ext4 (latest)
edit: better explanation here

However, I'd most love to see either one of the internal storage (app storage or the other internal) finding a way to be put into EXT3, as that would probably run better than any sdcard.
Er, the internal storage is "rfs", samsung's proprietary fs. (And the read/write speed of fat32 tends to be a little faster than ext2, and TONS faster than ext3/4 - journals slow it down in exchange for stability after crashes)

The increase in speed is just that - faster underlying hardware. The onboard "sd card" (same "disk" that /data is partitioned out of) is heartbreakingly slow.
Many moons ago I built one of the earliest AOSP G1 distributions. (With insane amounts of help from JBQ.) Now I do other stuff.
Retired: G1, SGS, SGS4G, G2, S3, S4, Mediapad, Galaxy Tab, Transformer Prime, Transformer Infinity.
Current: N7-2012, N10, Note3
Sometimes: N4
If it helped, hit the thanks. If it hurt, tell me why and I'll help.