Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,443 Members 49,307 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] I9000 Screen Replacement

Tip us?

Luiz.
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Congratulations that you repaired it well.
What did you use for heating the front panel? And about that old display, were both components (SAMOLED panel and glass digitezer) glued to each other? My point is that I got there little dust i would like to remove it, so is it possible or it's demountable unit.

yrizan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
For heating a hairdryer will do . Be careful so the device dont get to hot. Im sorry to say about the digitizer and samoled screen. The comes glued together from the factory and almost impossible to take apart without breaking anything.

For the heating of the glass part just consentrate on top on bottom of the glas, thats where most of the are placed.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

yrizan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Here is the old screen after i got it off the phone. Its impossible to remove without breaking it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	2613
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	379243  

yrizan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
For those who have problems melting the glue, a sharp knife or a flat screwdriver around the edge will do. Just force the old screen off. Be carefull with the metallic ring around the screen so it dont take to much damage. There is nothing under the screens edges that can take damage, only a wire from the center of the glas down to the home button. And from earlier posts, be carefull with the back and option butto, as there is censors glued to the screen.

eRajesh
Old
Thanks Meter 171
My phone has dropped like 10-12 times from my hand on the marble floor from a pretty good height. Nothing until now!

Luiz.
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Which reseller did you pick up on ebay? and pls would you look at ruins of old display and tell me if there is some space between digitizer and display itself. I'm just try find out some method how remove that dust under digitizer (got there glistening sawdust at the right left edge it's not metal - doesn't react with magnet). I thought that i use needle to puncture glue which links display and digitizer and then I'll be able to move that dust by spike of needle. So i hope that glue is plastic and nedlee will go through.
and one more question is are there any 'void' stickers inside? Thx for tips

AXIS of Reality
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRajesh View Post
My phone has dropped like 10-12 times from my hand on the marble floor from a pretty good height. Nothing until now!
.....do you hate your Galaxy S that much? =O

Please make sure never to hold a baby. Ever.
HTC Hero -> Samsung Galaxy S -> Samsung Galaxy S II -> Samsung Galaxy S III -> Samsung Galaxy Note II -> Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 -> HTC One M8

Randy Malkoski
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrizan View Post
I got the screen off.
No need to loosen the metaling ring around. The screen in dropped in the chassis from the front.
On the mainboard, just pop off the screen cable, long and flat next to the SD card slot.

The next step is very strange, just use brute force and crack the screen off the chassis, start from the top

When you get around the home button, be careful. Samsung has clued 2 sensors to the screen and chassis for back and option button. Best thing to do here is bend the screen back a little and cut loos the sensors from the digitizer with a sharp knife/scalpel. Samsung has used insane amount of clue on this phone.

Both the digitizer and amoled screen was clued to the chassis.

The next step is to clean off all the clue, buy loads of glue. Fill the chassis with glue and press the new screen on.

Wish me luck.

Ill keep you posted.
Hello,

I also dropped my Glaxy S (admittedly from 5+ feet onto concrete with no case - my fault, don't ask) and was looking to replace the screen / digitizer. Thank you soooo much for posting; yours is the first I was able to find with any sort of detailed instructions / hope for success.

I was wondering if you could post a link to where you purchased your parts from? If you are unable to post links yet (I know that I'm not able) a PM would be wondeful.

Thanks so much again!

Randy Malkoski
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Also... what kind of glue did you buy?

pekkala89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
I'm propably going to use some soft glue like silicone. I think that it could work as a bumper between screen and chassis so it could maybe withstand drops better.