5,815,214 Members 38,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[kernel] [odin3] Overclock to 1.2 GHz!

Tip us?

blackjackboy
Old
(Last edited by blackjackboy; 10th August 2010 at 07:24 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Talking [kernel] [odin3] Overclock to 1.2 GHz!

OK guys, thanks to AJerman and many others who have posted in this thread, we have had success in compiling, loading and running a bug free kernel. The wakeup lag is there, but is highly reduced. Also, if someone could figure out how to compile a boot.img so that we can simply flash the kernel through recovery (I have no idea how), we would really be grateful, for all of us with either Linux or Mac. Anyway, here is the link, flash it through Odin3. http://www.multiupload.com/8UM79T8VNE . Bug reports are welcome, as are logcats. Please download SetCPU from the market, or for free from an xda thread (I forgot where it is, I think it's in the G1 section). Set to OnDemand to reduce wakeup, set lowest possible value for min, and highest for max (1.2 GHz). Of course, you can also use profiles if you are an advanced SetCPU user. Thanks for reading, here we go!

We now have a successfully compiled kernel for the Captivate that overclocks the phone to 1.2 GHz. The link is coming soon. Also, many are complaining about garbled audio on custom kernels, even compiling directly from source. Either way, that is now fixed:
Quote:
GOT IT! Sounds perfect again! Just download the Vibrant source and copy the ENTIRE sound/soc/codecs folder over to the Captivate source. Like I said before, they are almost identical for the most part, so I looked and saw the A1026 files were in the Vibrant source, among other missing files, turned on A1026 in the .config and copied the codecs folder and it sounds good as new again! I'm already late to go meet some friends messing with this, so try it out NukaCola and see if it works for you. I'll test the rest of the audio as I go, but this is good so far. When I get back I'm going to ext4 enable my kernel, OC'd to 1.2 GHz and see if I can hit a 2K quadrant score, haha.
The Hummingbird processor inside all Galaxy S models can theoretically be overclocked to 1.6 GHz [stable], and potentially past, if a genius can do that. Please, devs, post a link compiled kernel so that I can put it in the OP and people can start hacking their phones, I'll give full credit to the dev.

Quote:
The i9000 folks have successfully created a 1.2 GHz standard voltage overclock. Is anyone over here interested in helping to port it over to the Captivate? I have no experience in kernels, but I'd love to learn and do my best to help out. Here is the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=743782 . Also, the few of us with Linux or OS X would love to see an option for flashing from recovery. Just let me know if anyone is interested, and thanks in advance.
-Galaxy S Captivate
-On Cognition, waiting for CM6

-Follow Me On Twitter--
--My youtube with reviews and things--
-The Official Captivate Bible: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788093
-Black G1 Running Super D (Sold)
-Motorola Cliq Running Stock Blur (Traded for two htc Pures, both sold)
-Rooted and Unlocked G1 running CyanogenMod 6.0 RC-2 WHICH I LOST!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrovice View Post
You know that I like my android the way I like my women.
Naked.

rob989_69
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
AHHH, between froyo, the lag fix, and this, I'm tempted to return the captivate and buy a Galaxy S>...... Too bad they're $700.....

hansmrtn
Old
Thanks Meter 347

DONATE TO ME
I will look at it and see what I can do. I will attempt to port it and make it a flashable zip. I cant guarantee anything
Don't look here.
Moto X

rob989_69
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansmrtn View Post
I will look at it and see what I can do. I will attempt to port it and make it a flashable zip. I cant guarantee anything
You Sir would be my new hero.....

bedwa
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 653
I'm going to look at it over the weekend as well since I've got the source for the kernel at home. I've got a friend that I can possibly get to be my tester as I only have an n1. We'll find a way guys.
Former Devices: HTC Wizard-WM 6.5, OG iPhone, iPhone 3GS, 15+ android devices, including N1, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 7.7, Droid Bionic on AT&T and many more.
Current Device: Neptune Pine. Rockin the REAL watch phone.

Old Project(s)
Resources: Tab 7.7 Kernel/Initramfs
Kernels: Thrillz---Thrillz-GB---Infusion-GB---Infusion (Froyo)
No Odin? Flash a I897/I997 Kernel, Modem or both "zip packages!"
Red Nexus S LWP
LG Optimus Z Launcher

My Git.
My Twitter
Fuel my insanity fund, or click Thanks.

hansmrtn
Old
Thanks Meter 347

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwa View Post
I'm going to look at it over the weekend as well since I've got the source for the kernel at home. I've got a friend that I can possibly get to be my tester as I only have an n1. We'll find a way guys.
Sounds like a plan my friend
Don't look here.
Moto X

rob989_69
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
I'd really like to get involved in the Dev side of things. Problem is I know 0 about Linux. Anyone recommend a good tutorial? I got time and patience.

dseo80
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Dont port - use your source and follow directions in the main post

blackjackboy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Don't port? I guess building from source would work too, but I don't see what's wrong with porting, but I know nothing about kernels, so I'm in the dark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
-Galaxy S Captivate
-On Cognition, waiting for CM6

-Follow Me On Twitter--
--My youtube with reviews and things--
-The Official Captivate Bible: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788093
-Black G1 Running Super D (Sold)
-Motorola Cliq Running Stock Blur (Traded for two htc Pures, both sold)
-Rooted and Unlocked G1 running CyanogenMod 6.0 RC-2 WHICH I LOST!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrovice View Post
You know that I like my android the way I like my women.
Naked.

dseo80
Old
Thanks Meter 6
porting M110S/i9000 kernel to Vibrant will be very a difficult process.
It would be MUCH easier just to start from Vibrant source and apply changes there.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe