Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,734 Members 40,438 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Niefs Rom Comparison

Tip us?

nief1313
Old
(Last edited by nief1313; 12th August 2010 at 06:02 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Niefs Rom Comparison

additional details on test:
The first part of the table is to test the rom with the stock kernel.
The second part is to see how well it performs oc/uc.
This is supposed to show how well a ROM performs by itself and how well it works while oc/uced since a lot of us do use custom kernels.

On all of the tests, there should be no widgets or apps installed that didn't come preset with rom(excluding setCPU, fps2d,quadrant, and linpack). This should help eliminate variability of what apps different users have.

On all the test (performance or battery) if the rom has preset profiles they can use them as long as it doesn't require a reboot or any 3rd party apps. all these profile should be mentioned though in additional notes.

I said no profiles on the battery test, meaning no setCPU profile due to variability of profiles.

All ROMs will be using sense except CM6

Update 8/6: Updated the spread sheet and put it up and google docs Niefs Rom Comparison
There are now explanations of the tests and I am going to start testing today. Also, looking for testers.
I have posted my scores for part of Fresh.

update: 8/12
Most ROMs are completely filled out under features
Most performance test have been ran
Few battery tests

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/a...f1313/test.jpg

seventyfive
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think it will be a great idea... google docs might be a good way to let people collaborate, otherwise some kind of wiki.

Might be easier to organize by features such as "stripped of sprint apps" or "added X app" vs things like battery and performance which can sometimes be highly variable by device. Also, if you run performance I would maybe do a baseline of 998mhz (since we all know we can hit this clock) and then another showing oc'd (since some people can barely OC one tick).

I think there are enough people across all the roms that if the spreadsheet were public you'd gather a lot of data. I also have NAND backups of a few of the froyo roms so it wouldn't be hard to boot into recover, reflash a nand, run the benches, then reflash back to whatever i was on.

The battery ones will be a little tough #1 cuz i'm not sure how many people wanna completely lock up their phone for several hours waiting to see how long it lasts. #2, depending on how some people's batteries are calibrated and what they're running in the background, MMV.

Great idea tho!!! I think the ultimate key is thinking of a good way for everyone to easily submit their data. Anyone have suggestions?

toastcfh
Old
Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,895

DONATE TO ME
u could add it to our wiki and update it like monthly. idk just an idea
Buy me a coffee
You can follow me on Twitter:
@toastcfh
Source:
http://github.com/toastcfh
On IRC:
irc.freenode.net
#HTC-EVO | #HTC_EVO_SHIFT | #HTC-EVO-3D | #CyanogenMod

AlkamistStar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Looking forward to it

This is a great idea, and i look forward to seeing this list grow. This could really help someone new to Android like me.
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III | 4G LTE User

nief1313
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastcfh View Post
u could add it to our wiki and update it like monthly. idk just an idea
I think adding it to the wiki would be really nice. I will try to come up with a spread sheet that only a few can edit(I don't want one person to delete or mess up all the data). I rather have were people pm there scores and other data so i can add it in.

I will finish tweaking on how to tests and how the spreadsheet will look tomorrow.

rek410
Old
Thanks Meter 5
You should add 2 additional categories:

Does WiFi Tethering work with 3G speeds Y/N
if yes, which version of Wifi Tethering

Does WiFi Tethering work with 4G speeds Y/N

nief1313
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rek410 View Post
You should add 2 additional categories:

Does WiFi Tethering work with 3G speeds Y/N

Does WiFi Tethering work with 4G speeds Y/N
I have just added that to the spreadsheet, the versions will be written down in the additional notes. Also, i just posted the link to the spreadsheet in the OP. I will be looking for testers if anyone is interested to help.

nenn
Old
Thanks Meter 3
nief, im running EViO 2 V1.0.2

ill post results for you later.

nief1313
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenn View Post
nief, im running EViO 2 V1.0.2

ill post results for you later.

Sweet thanks for the help.

OgremustCrush
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Which version of CM6 were you going to test? RC1 is getting pretty old, a lot of us are using nightlys. RC2 should be out soon though.