Sony Encouraging SmartWatch 2 Development

Mobile device companies like selling devices–it’s how they make their money and … more

Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

I've bricked my flatmate's Desire? [FIXED, thanks]

OP mmm_ok

6th August 2010, 11:51 PM   |  #1  
mmm_ok's Avatar
OP Senior Member
LONDON
Thanks Meter: 3
 
163 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2005
NOTE: THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN FIXED, See this post #97 by "teppic74" for how I fixed the phone

My flatmate recently got a Desire from Vodafone, it's got their latest ROM on it with all their bloatware.

I told him I could debrand it, but the goldcard method didn't work because he had bootloader 0.83.

So I followed a thread to this site on how to downgrade the bootloader:
http://www.tolxdorff.net/tutorials/?step=2

So I did step 4... and then the screen went blank. I left it for a while, I thought it may be installing...

After a long time, I pulled the battery out and rebooted the phone ... I'm pretty nervous by this point LOL

Anyway, the phone reboots and I can hear the annoying HTC chime, which never happened on the Voda rom...

But I can't see anything. It appears that the phone is booting up, but the screen is not working.

Anyone got any advice on what I might do to fix this or am I toast? Grateful for any advice.
Last edited by mmm_ok; 8th August 2010 at 04:57 PM.
6th August 2010, 11:59 PM   |  #2  
Alex-V's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,498
 
8,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Have you try it again or download a original rom (maybe on vodafone...on my o2site it give a original rom and also here on xda)...or have you tried unrevoked...what say the h boot now..?????

with kind regards...Alex
7th August 2010, 12:05 AM   |  #3  
mmm_ok's Avatar
OP Senior Member
LONDON
Thanks Meter: 3
 
163 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2005
Unforunately that's the problem... the phone is working and booting up, but the screen is blank... so I can't see anything.

I'll try to find and flash the voda rom, that's a good idea
7th August 2010, 12:07 AM   |  #4  
DesirableHTC's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 35
 
866 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm_ok

Unforunately that's the problem... the phone is working and booting up, but the screen is blank... so I can't see anything.

I'll try to find and flash the voda rom, that's a good idea

so you cant even get into recovery?
7th August 2010, 12:08 AM   |  #5  
Alex-V's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,498
 
8,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm_ok

Unforunately that's the problem... the phone is working and booting up, but the screen is blank... so I can't see anything.

I'll try to find and flash the voda rom, that's a good idea

you have no acsess to bootloader or recovery.....??

try vol down (hold it) and phone on (power)...
7th August 2010, 12:14 AM   |  #6  
mmm_ok's Avatar
OP Senior Member
LONDON
Thanks Meter: 3
 
163 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2005
Well... I think I can get into recovery... it's just I can't tell because the screen is not showing anything...

if I was to make a noob guess at what's wrong, and this is unsubstantiated, it's that it's a new desire with SLCD screen and that it's get the driver for the AMOLED screen installed when I downgraded...
7th August 2010, 12:15 AM   |  #7  
mmm_ok's Avatar
OP Senior Member
LONDON
Thanks Meter: 3
 
163 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2005
Two more people over at modaco at reporting the same issue, I think:

http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...tmates-desire/

http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...ecovery-image/
7th August 2010, 12:20 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Patra
Thanks Meter: 12
 
166 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Test your theory.
Pull out the battery and put it back in.
Press and hold volume down and birefly press power on.
Keep volume down pressed for 5 seconds, then release it.
Count 20 seconds, then press the power key briefly once more.
You should now be in fastboot.
Connect your phone to the USB port and it should list it self when you execute fastboot devices.
If see it listed, you can restore the original ROM via the vodafone RUU file.
7th August 2010, 12:22 AM   |  #9  
Alex-V's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,498
 
8,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm_ok

Well... I think I can get into recovery... it's just I can't tell because the screen is not showing anything...

if I was to make a noob guess at what's wrong, and this is unsubstantiated, it's that it's a new desire with SLCD screen and that it's get the driver for the AMOLED screen installed when I downgraded...

have you try phone on...wait 3-5 min and flash the original rom....or maybe a original ota with h boot 092...maybe windows recognizes the phone
7th August 2010, 12:24 AM   |  #10  
Alex-V's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,498
 
8,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemv

Test your theory.
Pull out the battery and put it back in.
Press and hold volume down and birefly press power on.
Keep volume down pressed for 5 seconds, then release it.
Count 20 seconds, then press the power key briefly once more.
You should now be in fastboot.
Connect your phone to the USB port and it should list it self when you execute fastboot devices.
If see it listed, you can restore the original ROM via the vodafone RUU file.

not bad...that is what i think too

edit: but better explained

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes