I've bricked my flatmate's Desire? [FIXED, thanks]

Search This thread

mmm_ok

Jul 27, 2005
LONDON
NOTE: THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN FIXED, See this post #97 by "teppic74" for how I fixed the phone

My flatmate recently got a Desire from Vodafone, it's got their latest ROM on it with all their bloatware.

I told him I could debrand it, but the goldcard method didn't work because he had bootloader 0.83.

So I followed a thread to this site on how to downgrade the bootloader:
http://www.tolxdorff.net/tutorials/?step=2

So I did step 4... and then the screen went blank. I left it for a while, I thought it may be installing...

After a long time, I pulled the battery out and rebooted the phone ... I'm pretty nervous by this point LOL

Anyway, the phone reboots and I can hear the annoying HTC chime, which never happened on the Voda rom...

But I can't see anything. It appears that the phone is booting up, but the screen is not working.

Anyone got any advice on what I might do to fix this or am I toast? Grateful for any advice.

Last edited:

Alex-V

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 26, 2008
Have you try it again or download a original rom (maybe on vodafone...on my o2site it give a original rom and also here on xda)...or have you tried unrevoked...what say the h boot now..?????

with kind regards...Alex

mmm_ok

Jul 27, 2005
LONDON
Unforunately that's the problem... the phone is working and booting up, but the screen is blank... so I can't see anything.

I'll try to find and flash the voda rom, that's a good idea

Alex-V

Aug 26, 2008
Unforunately that's the problem... the phone is working and booting up, but the screen is blank... so I can't see anything.

I'll try to find and flash the voda rom, that's a good idea

you have no acsess to bootloader or recovery.....??

try vol down (hold it) and phone on (power)...

mmm_ok

Jul 27, 2005
LONDON
Well... I think I can get into recovery... it's just I can't tell because the screen is not showing anything...

if I was to make a noob guess at what's wrong, and this is unsubstantiated, it's that it's a new desire with SLCD screen and that it's get the driver for the AMOLED screen installed when I downgraded...

georgemv

May 15, 2010
Patra
Test your theory.
Pull out the battery and put it back in.
Press and hold volume down and birefly press power on.
Keep volume down pressed for 5 seconds, then release it.
Count 20 seconds, then press the power key briefly once more.
You should now be in fastboot.
Connect your phone to the USB port and it should list it self when you execute fastboot devices.
If see it listed, you can restore the original ROM via the vodafone RUU file.

Alex-V

Aug 26, 2008
Well... I think I can get into recovery... it's just I can't tell because the screen is not showing anything...

if I was to make a noob guess at what's wrong, and this is unsubstantiated, it's that it's a new desire with SLCD screen and that it's get the driver for the AMOLED screen installed when I downgraded...

have you try phone on...wait 3-5 min and flash the original rom....or maybe a original ota with h boot 092...maybe windows recognizes the phone

Alex-V

Aug 26, 2008
Test your theory.
Pull out the battery and put it back in.
Press and hold volume down and birefly press power on.
Keep volume down pressed for 5 seconds, then release it.
Count 20 seconds, then press the power key briefly once more.
You should now be in fastboot.
Connect your phone to the USB port and it should list it self when you execute fastboot devices.
If see it listed, you can restore the original ROM via the vodafone RUU file.

not bad...that is what i think too ;)

edit: but better explained :) :)

mmm_ok

Jul 27, 2005
LONDON
I did follow the test you mentioned regarding fastboot.

Windows did make a bleep bleep sound when i plugged it in, but when I ran adb devices (is that what you meant when you asked "is it listed"?), there were no devices listed.

The phone does make the annoying htc sound on normal boot... just no screen

Alex-V

Aug 26, 2008

Windows did make a bleep bleep sound when i plugged it in, but when I ran adb devices (is that what you meant when you asked "is it listed"?), there were no devices listed.

nothing in the list also not unknown...?

mmm_ok

Jul 27, 2005
LONDON
have you try phone on...wait 3-5 min and flash the original rom....or maybe a original ota with h boot 092...maybe windows recognizes the phone

Thanks I did try to flash an original ROM... but I get the same problem I had before when running the RUU (error 140)

If I find a .92 ROM, i'm not sure I can install it without seeing what's on the screen though...

georgemv

May 15, 2010
Patra

ADB will not find your phone in fastboot. You need to download fastboot binary and run fastboot devices to list devices in fastboot mode. If you use windows, you also need to install the fastboot windows driver. (I think you can find that in the android SDK)

mmm_ok

Jul 27, 2005
LONDON
ADB will not find your phone in fastboot. You need to download fastboot binary and run fastboot devices to list devices in fastboot mode. If you use windows, you also need to install the fastboot windows driver. (I think you can find that in the android SDK)

Thanks for your help. I'm working on it. Get back to ya soon.

Alex-V

Aug 26, 2008
yeah i used this driver...open attached htm file (if you have download unrevoke...its also in) adb