Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 38,778 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD]Save videos as .mp4 instead of .3gp

Tip us?

scuccia
Old
(Last edited by scuccia; 12th August 2010 at 12:43 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Default [MOD]Save videos as .mp4 instead of .3gp

In the HTC camcorder even you choose the encoding method as MPEG it would save the file as 3gp, but with this it will save the file as mp4. I had to modify a few smali files to get it working.

This is only changing the extension. The videos are already being recorded in an mpeg-4 stream, they are just being created with a .3gp extension. This is really only for people who need the extension to be mp4 for some specific reason.

I have tested this a bit so be sure to back up your original HTCCamera.apk just in case.

Download it here.

As you can see below, nothing with the encoding has changed.

In recovery:

mount system
adb shell
mv /system/app/HTCCamera.apk /system/app/HTCCamera.apk_
exit
adb push HTCCamera.apk /system/app/
adb shell
chmod 0644 /system/app/HTCCamera.apk
exit
adb reboot
The Following User Says Thank You to scuccia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quepaso
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Does this also change the audio codec to something useable like AAC? Love your roms, use them and enjoy them heavily, mp4 usable on the ps3 would be amazing!

scuccia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by quepaso View Post
Does this also change the audio codec to something useable like AAC? Love your roms, use them and enjoy them heavily, mp4 usable on the ps3 would be amazing!
No, I can't change how its encoded. This is only changing the extension. The videos are already being recorded in an mpeg-4 stream, they are just being created with a .3gp extension.

shoman24v
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Can you make 720p or any other recording resolution do > 30fps. The framerate on 720p is garbage.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk
| Samsung Galaxy Nexus | AOKP |

scuccia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
Can you make 720p or any other recording resolution do > 30fps. The framerate on 720p is garbage.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk
Nope, I have no idea how to do that... This wasn't very difficult, it just took some digging.

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5669
720p at 30 fps is fine. The problem is that we aren't hitting that fps.

Can't squeeze blood from a turnip, and you cannot make hardware do something its unable to with the current OS.

As for aac audio streams, I doubt this phone supports it. I know where to change it, but so do a lot of people, esp. on the N1 forums. I've not heard of a successful case yet. Not even CM6 does it.

quepaso
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Before i flashed to your newest rom, i decided to try this on the existing rom.. Took footage of my room and what do you know, streams to the ps3 just fine.. But i pressed select and the Audio had dolby digital in it, meaning sound worked.. I took another video but this time played a song. Tried it and it worked!!!

This is AMAZING news! Before i had to sit there and convert the videos and they usually ended up not even working, now using PS3 Media Server, they work no problem. Thanks so much, you should take a look for the Evo guys and get it fixed for them as well if you can, i have a feeling all my evo owning family members are going to want in!

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5669
If you folks want to see if the aac audio codec will work, you can try this. Install it via clockwork, but make a nandroid.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cam_audio_aac.zip - [Click for QR Code] (162.1 KB, 99 views)

rspong
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
720p at 30 fps is fine. The problem is that we aren't hitting that fps.

Can't squeeze blood from a turnip, and you cannot make hardware do something its unable to with the current OS.

As for aac audio streams, I doubt this phone supports it. I know where to change it, but so do a lot of people, esp. on the N1 forums. I've not heard of a successful case yet. Not even CM6 does it.
Well, i look forward to this .MP4 mod cooked into your next Rom, also, the recent WIFItether AP mode. Which by the way works great on your #2 Rom. Great Work.

quepaso
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
If you folks want to see if the aac audio codec will work, you can try this. Install it via clockwork, but make a nandroid.
Im just about to re-flash/wipe the whole phone, would i need a nandroid for any reason?