Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,529 Members 40,325 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

**IMPORTANT** Please Test. G-Sensor = Cause of 'Random' freezes + Bad Screen response

Tip us?

thesweeney
Old
(Last edited by thesweeney; 10th August 2010 at 03:59 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default **IMPORTANT** Please Test. G-Sensor = Cause of 'Random' freezes + Bad Screen response

I Think I May have found the cause of the otherwise apparently 'random' freezes/hangs and total lack of touch sensitivity.

Basically, In my case at least, It Is the G-sensor/accelerometer.

I have been noticing increasing numbers of these freezes on Mattc 1.5 Froyo, Mainly in Landscape, Mainly in games.

TEST:
I installed 'Iron Sight' Game. (If theory is right then you should be able to use any landscape game, but please try Iron sight if possible.)

I Ran the game and it switched to landscape,
SO I PHYSICALLY TURNED MY HD2 TO LANDSCAPE.
THIS IS WHERE THE FREEZING AND LAGGING BEGAN!

On the Main menu found it difficult to press any options.
When I did manage to start a Game The control buttons were hard to press and the game was unplayable because screen sensitivity was just not there most of the game.

I Then Physically turned the HD2 around and Back to Portrait orientation, AND ALTHOUGH THE SCREEN ORIENTATION STAYED IN LANDSCAPE I DID NOT EXPERIENCE ONE SINGLE LAG OR FREEZE.

BUTTON PRESSES WERE RESPONSIVE TO TOUCH AT ALL TIMES FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES!

HERES WHERE IT GETS MORE INTERESTING....

I Then Turned the HD2 back around to landscape again and the Problems IMMEDIATELY RETURNED.

I THEN HELD THE PHONE VERY STILL IN LANDSCAPE AND AFTER A FEW SECONDS THE PROBLEMS/LAG/FREEZES DISSAPEARED AGAIN!!!

TESTED REPEATEDLY!
IN LANDSCAPE AS SOON AS THERE IS ANY PHYSICAL MOVEMENT, THE GAME FREEZES, BUT IF I KEEP IT STILL THE GAME RESPONDS PERFECTLY WITHOUT HESITATION.

Can some of you please test this theory?
A cradle/Dock would be handy for testing but it is possible to keep the phone still enough in-hand in my tests.

Use the game "Iron Sight" where possible, but use other games/apps too if you have time or inclination

Post the results below ( with logs where possible ?) Please.

Note:
After discovering the above, I did a search on XDA and found that a member called 'Hinky' and touched on this but I think I have narrowed it down.... I think

Please test and confirm (or debunk lol).
Thanks.
Device: EU HTC HD2
Service: Virgin Mobile UK
ROM: EnergyROM Jul.21- 23121
+Cookie+DinikGlass

Radio: 2.12.50.02_2
Android:
[mattc Leo + Froyo w/Sense 1.6b]
Kernel: michyprima 2.6.32.9 #70

THANKS to the moderators/staff, devs and the community in general, here at XDA - Making my Smartphone Smarter Since 5/11/2009

If 'Noobism' is a disease then HERE IS THE CURE

ala380
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesweeney View Post
I Think I May have found the cause of the otherwise apparently 'random' freezes/hangs and total lack of touch sensitivity.

Basically, In my case at least, It Is the G-sensor/accelerometer.

I have been noticing increasing numbers of these freezes on Mattc 1.5 Froyo, Mainly in Landscape, Mainly in games.

TEST:
I installed 'Iron Sight' Game. (If theory is right then you should be able to use any landscape game, but please try Iron sight if possible.)

I Ran the game and it switched to landscape, SO I PHYSICALLY TURNED MY HD2 TO LANDSCAPE.
THIS IS WHERE THE FREEZES BEGAN!
On the Main menu found it difficult to press any options.
When I did manage to start a Game The control buttons were hard to press and the game was unplayable because screen sensitivity was just not there most of the game.

I Then turned the HD2 Back to Portrait mode AND ALTHOUGH THE SCREEN ORIENTATION STAYED IN LANDSCAPE I DID NOT EXPERIENCE ONE SINGLE LAG.

BUTTON PRESSES WERE RESPONSIVE TO TOUCH AT ALL TIMES FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES!

HERES WHERE IT GETS MORE INTERESTING....

I Then Turned the HD2 around to landscape again and the Problems IMMEDIATELY RETURNED.

I THEN HELD THE PHONE VERY STILL IN LANDSCAPE AND AFTER A FEW SECONDS THE PROBLEMS/LAG/FREEZES DISSAPEARED AGAIN!!!

TESTED REPEATEDLY!
IN LANDSCAPE AS SOON AS THERE IS ANY PHYSICAL MOVEMENT, THE GAME FREEZES, BUT IF I KEEP IT STILL THE GAME RESPONDS PERFECTLY WITHOUT HESITATION.

Can some of you please test this theory?
A cradle/Dock would be handy for testing but it is possible to keep the phone still enough in-hand in my tests.

Use the game "Iron Sight" where possible, but use other games/apps too if you have time or inclination

Post the results below ( with logs where possible ?) Please.

Note:
After discovering the above, I did a search on XDA and found that a member called 'Hinky' and touched on this but I think I have narrowed it down.... I think

Please test and confirm (or debunk lol).
Thanks.
Yes this is something that the devs have been discussing. It does seem that the freeze issue is in fact related to the g sensor. I don't know if anyone is working on it at this time but I believe Cotulla will try to sort it out for his September release

thesweeney
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ala380 View Post
Yes this is something that the devs have been discussing. It does seem that the freeze issue is in fact related to the g sensor. I don't know if anyone is working on it at this time but I believe Cotulla will try to sort it out for his September release

DOH! Didnt know it was already a known issue LMAO

I'll get my coat....
+Cookie+DinikGlass

Android:

THANKS to the moderators/staff, devs and the community in general, here at XDA - Making my Smartphone Smarter Since 5/11/2009

Jammie_1989
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
DOH! Didnt know it was already a known issue LMAO

I'll get my coat....
Lol keep with the testing though I didn't figure that much out
HTC HD2

rawrscary
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hmmm this is def the prob for my touch screen issues. I tested a bit using the latest mattc Leo + Froyo w/Sense 1.5 version, with latest FULLRAM. I found that while on the sense home screen if I hold the phone out in front of me either landscape and portrait it's ok, and I can do whatever I want at full speed no lag at all. THEN if I lay the phone flat, It freezes. I did this like 20+ times and every time It would freeze whether I was playing a game or reading an email.
Device: HTC HD2 T9193
ROM: LEO70
Magldr 1.12

My WM 6.5 stuff..
Buuf Theme
Cookie Clocks
Neon Slider
Music Control Skins
Manila 2.5 Cloud Colours

Like my work? Donate!

waichai
Old
Thanks Meter 11
This also happen to me. Using Mattc 1.5 Froyo, it happens when using internet browser. The screen will freeze or not response right after i turn from Portrait to Landscape or sometimes have to wait for few seconds. I have to turn my device from Landscape to Portrait, and back to Landscape again, then the screen responses back to normal. This also happens in Copilot app when using in Landscape mode.
Phone: Telstra HD2 T9193
ROM: Android in Nand version
Radio Version: 2.15.50.14
SPL: 2.08.HSPL

robrob777
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Default I turned off the screen rotation

What I did since i installed my ROM with 380mb ram is to turn off all screen rotation settings, so far so good, I haven't notice any freeze or lag so far in any application or while waking the device up, I used to have it and I hate it, I almost went back to Winmo!!.

thesweeney
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob777 View Post
What I did since i installed my ROM with 380mb ram is to turn off all screen rotation settings, so far so good, I haven't notice any freeze or lag so far in any application or while waking the device up, I used to have it and I hate it, I almost went back to Winmo!!.
This was the first thing i tried but strangely it made no difference.

anyone know how to totally disable the g-sensor?
+Cookie+DinikGlass

Android:

Bimme
Old
Thanks Meter 1
doesnt have any of the mentioned problems...
iron sight lite runs the same for me when i hold the phone portrait or LS...
have no bad screen sens while holding LS...
running mattc 1.5 with the default zimage...

cshuwing
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
This was the first thing i tried but strangely it made no difference.

anyone know how to totally disable the g-sensor?
I want to know too! disabling auto rotation doesnt mean completely stop the g-sensor running.