[TUT] Telus Desire HBoot 0.83 Root and Flash
Seeing as Telus now has the Desire, a lot of people are a little confused how to root and flash it. I will list the steps I did in order to root mine and run a nightly Cyanogen build on it.
A few notes before we get started. I use a Mac/Ubuntu 10.04 so Windows people will have to get the drivers installed by installing HTC Sync then uninstalling just the software leaving the drivers on the system. I also do not want the Sense software so my tutorial will use ROMS based off of stock Android. Flash what you want though
Steps for Rooting:
1. Goto http://unrevoked.com
and download the software
2. Get the needed recovery image from here http://crop.floodbit.org/~defer/reco...bravo-slcd.img
***DO NOT plug you Desire into your computer yet***
3. Start unrevoked and goto File>Custom Recovery and point it to the recovery image that you downloaded earlier
4. Enable USB debugging on your Desire Settings>Applications>Developement
5. Plug Desire into your computer, unrevoked should start its goodness
6. Once you are left at the recovery boot and unrevoked says "Done!", disconnect your Desire and click the Trackpad to select "reboot system now", phone should reboot into normal mode
7. Check for Superuser Permissions app, if you see it you're good if not retry
You can still install rom manager from the market to use the "Reboot to recovery" option as it is handy but do not let it install the recovery image, it will mess up your flashing.
Steps for flashing:
1. Go here to grab a Cyanogen build http://mirror.kanged.net/cm/nightly/bravo/
(I used 08092010 as of this writing)
2. Once zip is download, copy it to your SD card
3. Get the updated radio needed from here http://android.adamg.co.uk/bravo/rad...5.09.00.20.zip
4. Reboot into recovery either using rom manager or by powering off you Desire and powering it back on while holding down Vol-. Rom manager will get you to the recovery console right off, other method will bring you to hboot screen. Select Recovery with the Volume rocker and then click the power button to launch it.
5. Select "install zip from SD card" using the trackpad and select the radio zip that you download earlier
6. Let it do its thing (could take up to 10 mins to finish), phone should reboot to recovery, use the back button to get to main menu and select "reboot system now" with the trackpad
7. Once rebooted check that the new radio is good by going to Settings>About phone>Software information (or whatever its called), if good lets continue, if not redo till it works
8. Reboot to recovery as before, select "wipe cache partition", "factory reset" to clear out any junk leftover and once done select "install zip from sd card"
9. Select the ROM we downloaded before with the trackpad and click it
10. Wait for it to do its thing, could take up to 20 mins to finish
11. Phone should reboot into your new rom
Hope this help people.
*I am not responsible for bricking your phone.*
UPDATE August 23 2010 - Once you have eveyrthing working, check ROM Manager. If it says that you need to install ClockworkMod (as it wont pick up the custom one) go ahead and do it. I am running 184.108.40.206 ClockWorkMod and the SLCD is supported by it so you can see the recovery console.