Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,899 Members 49,285 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUT] Telus Desire HBoot 0.83 Root and Flash

Tip us?

slimdizzy
Old
(Last edited by slimdizzy; 23rd August 2010 at 03:59 PM.) Reason: ROM Manager update.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 233
Wink [TUT] Telus Desire HBoot 0.83 Root and Flash

Hi all,

Seeing as Telus now has the Desire, a lot of people are a little confused how to root and flash it. I will list the steps I did in order to root mine and run a nightly Cyanogen build on it.

A few notes before we get started. I use a Mac/Ubuntu 10.04 so Windows people will have to get the drivers installed by installing HTC Sync then uninstalling just the software leaving the drivers on the system. I also do not want the Sense software so my tutorial will use ROMS based off of stock Android. Flash what you want though

Steps for Rooting:

1. Goto http://unrevoked.com and download the software
2. Get the needed recovery image from here http://crop.floodbit.org/~defer/reco...bravo-slcd.img

***DO NOT plug you Desire into your computer yet***

3. Start unrevoked and goto File>Custom Recovery and point it to the recovery image that you downloaded earlier
4. Enable USB debugging on your Desire Settings>Applications>Developement
5. Plug Desire into your computer, unrevoked should start its goodness
6. Once you are left at the recovery boot and unrevoked says "Done!", disconnect your Desire and click the Trackpad to select "reboot system now", phone should reboot into normal mode
7. Check for Superuser Permissions app, if you see it you're good if not retry

You can still install rom manager from the market to use the "Reboot to recovery" option as it is handy but do not let it install the recovery image, it will mess up your flashing.

Steps for flashing:

1. Go here to grab a Cyanogen build http://mirror.kanged.net/cm/nightly/bravo/
(I used 08092010 as of this writing)
2. Once zip is download, copy it to your SD card
3. Get the updated radio needed from here http://android.adamg.co.uk/bravo/rad...5.09.00.20.zip
4. Reboot into recovery either using rom manager or by powering off you Desire and powering it back on while holding down Vol-. Rom manager will get you to the recovery console right off, other method will bring you to hboot screen. Select Recovery with the Volume rocker and then click the power button to launch it.
5. Select "install zip from SD card" using the trackpad and select the radio zip that you download earlier
6. Let it do its thing (could take up to 10 mins to finish), phone should reboot to recovery, use the back button to get to main menu and select "reboot system now" with the trackpad
7. Once rebooted check that the new radio is good by going to Settings>About phone>Software information (or whatever its called), if good lets continue, if not redo till it works
8. Reboot to recovery as before, select "wipe cache partition", "factory reset" to clear out any junk leftover and once done select "install zip from sd card"
9. Select the ROM we downloaded before with the trackpad and click it
10. Wait for it to do its thing, could take up to 20 mins to finish
11. Phone should reboot into your new rom

Hope this help people.

*I am not responsible for bricking your phone.*

UPDATE August 23 2010 - Once you have eveyrthing working, check ROM Manager. If it says that you need to install ClockworkMod (as it wont pick up the custom one) go ahead and do it. I am running 2.5.0.7 ClockWorkMod and the SLCD is supported by it so you can see the recovery console.

rock_80
Old
Thanks Meter 6
did you make a gold card first?

h46it
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Thanks!

Just got to unlock when i get home, then time to flash radio and new rom!

Just one question why did you choose the rom that you did vs. others?
Nexus 7
Nexus 5
Mahdi-Rom
TWRP

rock_80
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Mine hung at the waiting 5 seconds because windows sucks

marinierb
Old
Thanks Meter 131
No need for a goldcard. Goldcards are when you downgrade using an RUU.

And I don't understand the part about not using ROM Manager. It works just fine for me.
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
Running rooted stock KitKat on a Nexus 5

-Mr. X-
Old
Thanks Meter 2164

DONATE TO ME
I'll be grabbing one next week as my first android device, Question from the android super noob. This does not sim unlock correct?

BKcore
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by h46it View Post
Thanks!

[Noob thought inside] So I get it that we need to desimlock a branded phone to get the new ROM working ? (I got an Orange branded Desire)

h46it
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKcore View Post
[Noob thought inside] So I get it that we need to desimlock a branded phone to get the new ROM working ? (I got an Orange branded Desire)
Are you going to use the phone on a orange network? If so then there is no need to unlock the phone. Just need to root the phone.
Nexus 7
Nexus 5
Mahdi-Rom
TWRP

slimdizzy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by h46it View Post
Thanks!

Just one question why did you choose the rom that you did vs. others?
Its as close to native as it gets for me. Half the size of other roms.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
-------------------------
Main: Nexus 5
Other Devices: Moto X Stock Rooted, Galaxy Nexus - Dreams 4.4 KitKat, Nokia 620 WP8, Nexus 7(x2), HTC One XL, Nexus S i9020a, Acer A500, Galaxy Tab 7" (Orginal)
R.I.P Devices: HTC Desire (dropped down stairs), HTC 7 Mozart (eaten by aliens), HTC One X+ (sold)

slimdizzy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinierb View Post
No need for a goldcard. Goldcards are when you downgrade using an RUU.

And I don't understand the part about not using ROM Manager. It works just fine for me.
You can use it if you want just don't apply the recovery image if it asks or you will overwrite the custom one.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
-------------------------
Main: Nexus 5
Other Devices: Moto X Stock Rooted, Galaxy Nexus - Dreams 4.4 KitKat, Nokia 620 WP8, Nexus 7(x2), HTC One XL, Nexus S i9020a, Acer A500, Galaxy Tab 7" (Orginal)
R.I.P Devices: HTC Desire (dropped down stairs), HTC 7 Mozart (eaten by aliens), HTC One X+ (sold)

XDA PORTAL POSTS

TWRP Now Available for the LG G Watch and Samsung Gear Live

Over the past week or so, we’ve talkedquite a bit about the first … more

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more