5,604,443 Members 48,490 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [NEED HELP] Samsung Galaxy S NOT Recognized by Windows 7

Tip us?

Zavonn
Old
(Last edited by Zavonn; 13th August 2010 at 12:28 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] [NEED HELP] Samsung Galaxy S NOT Recognized by Windows 7

[FIXED] thanks guys

When I connect my Samsung Galaxy S, the computer doesn't do ANYTHING (it doesn't recognize that anything has been connected), and the SGS doesn't even recognize that it's connected to anything. All the phone does is charge...not even a notification drop down prompts me to enter USB mass storage or charge etc. I've factory reset the phone many times (plugged & unplugged), and nothing seems to fix it. I can't find my SGS in the Device manager to reinstall drivers either.

I am running Windows 7 64bit on a Sony Vaio, if that helps.

I've searched tons of sites & forums and none seems to have a working solution...Any ideas/fixes?

Zavonn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I think I found the problem I was having...I was using a Rocketfish CHARGING cable, and although it looks like a USB cable (it connects to the computer via usb), it does nothing but charge...so I took off the micro usb adapter that affixed onto the mini usb charging cable and re-affixed it onto a random mini usb cable I had lying around. And now it connects to the computer! I can now use all the other tutorials fixing the generic "usb driver not installed properly" problem.

Zavonn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
UPDATE: I was following the tutorial on http://theunlockr.com/2009/12/02/how...amsung-galaxy/ but when I get to the fastboot part, my phone won't boot into fastboot.... Can anyone help?

fudduf
Old
Thanks Meter 7
download 64-bit drivers here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728929

turn on usb-debugging mode in settings. you have to manually choose to mount the volume on the SGS every time you plug it in.

should work.

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1571

DONATE TO ME
you need to either install KIES, or install the drivers included in the Android SDK

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

Zavonn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer View Post
you need to either install KIES, or install the drivers included in the Android SDK
I got my phone to connect & be recognized by my computer, but I can't seem to get my phone into fastboot. Can anyone tell me which keys to press...?

Spitfire128
Old
(Last edited by Spitfire128; 12th August 2010 at 11:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
I had the exact same problem. Googled and found a forum post somewhere with the following solution:

Turn off Galaxy S. Connect to pc by USB. Turn on Galaxy S.

Yeah.

Worked for me, anyway. Ever since I did that it's been working fine even if I connect it while it's turned on.

EDIT: Gah, didn't notice you had it solved already, thought the second post was from someone else. Oh well.
HTC Touch Diamond -> HTC Touch Diamond2 -> Samsung Galaxy S
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spitfire128 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1571

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavonn View Post
I got my phone to connect & be recognized by my computer, but I can't seem to get my phone into fastboot. Can anyone tell me which keys to press...?
steps to get into those boot modes
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...xy_S/GT-I9000M

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

gladman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I can't get mine to connect using the above methods to windows 7 - windows 7 says it cannot install the MTB drivers.

andrewluecke
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
I can't get mine to connect using the above methods to windows 7 - windows 7 says it cannot install the MTB drivers.
Uninstall/reinstall kies.. Under kies, repair drivers.. Worked for me