Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,524 Members 42,227 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] fastboot for Ubuntu 64 bits

Tip us?

jscoobyced
Old
(Last edited by jscoobyced; 12th August 2010 at 06:15 PM.) Reason: proof reading...
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [HOWTO] fastboot for Ubuntu 64 bits

Hi, I am using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) and having got my Nexus one yesterday from a grey market (I live in Thailand so that's the only easy way). It was supposed to be factory new but I found it was loaded with the amon_RA-1.5.9 stack, and a cyanogen 2.1 android version. I felt like I had to upgrade all this.

Thanks to this forum, here is the way to update to froyo and update to amon_RA 1.7.0 on Ubuntu amd64 (versions lower than 10.04 should be similar):
  1. Download Froyo
    I used this /showthread.php?t=686631 XDA Post (sorry, I am new and can't post links.... or dunno how to do for inside xda links)
  2. Update Froyo
    I followed the tutorial:
    - rename the file 'update-nexusone-FRF50-signed.zip' to 'update.zip' (make sure no quote and no '.zip.zip' issue occurs, but if you are on Linux 64 bits I trust you know what you're doing so far)
    - copy to the sdcard root folder (use the nexus one USB cable then slide the top panel on the screen where it shows the USB symbol, then select the option to mount the SD card as storage, or use a sdcard reader/writer )
    - disconnect USB if connected, have the sd card in the phone, reboot on bootloader: hold the trackball while power on.
    - Select recovery
    - flash from sdcard and follow instructions.
    Note: search this forum for more details on this part
  3. Build 'fastboot'
    - I actually created an Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 in VirtualBox in order to have an uncorrupted environment. I just ran the standard updates after installation
    - Download from 'source DOT android DOT com/source/download.html' source. Follow EXACTLY what they say on the Linux for 64 bits EXCEPT that now you can use Java 6 (if you spend time adding the JAUNTY multiverse repository and install sun-1.5.0-jre the SDK build will fail immediately telling you to use Java 1.6.0...)
    - after you run the 'make' command, wait for a while.... depending on your RAM/CPU, then open another terminal and check if the 'fastboot' binary is already built (<repo>/out/host/linux-x86/bin/fastboot). If so, you can CTRL+C the build (except if you really want it)
    - copy fastboot to a location in your PATH
    - create a file (as root or 'sudo' it) /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="xxxx", MODE="0666", OWNER="username"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="yyyy", MODE="0666", OWNER="username"
    where:
    xxxx: is the value returned by the command 'lsusb | grep 18d1', after the '18d1:xxxx' when the phone is turned on in normal mode
    yyyy: is the value returned by the command 'lsusb | grep 0bb4', after the '0bb4:yyyy' when the phone is turned on in fastboot/bootloader mode
    username: is your login name
    - save the file
    - run 'sudo service udev restart'
    - restart the phone in fastboot (hold the trackball while turning on the phone)
    - run 'fastboot devices' and it should show something like:
    Quote:
    HTxCxxxxxxxxx fastboot
  4. Update amon_RA
    - Now you just follow showthread.php?t=611829 from amon_RA himself

I attach my 'fastboot' version if you prefer the shortcut. Do it at your own risk, I provide no guaranty. It worked on my machine, that's all.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fastboot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (70.6 KB, 984 views)

samir5421
Old
Thanks Meter 56
im running the same thing as u. i just downloaded the sdk and it came with fastboot.

jscoobyced
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by samir5421 View Post
im running the same thing as u. i just downloaded the sdk and it came with fastboot.
From the developer.android.com/sdk/index.html page, 'fastboot' isn't in the 'android-sdk_r06-linux_86.tgz'
What package did you download and from where?

bernabap
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Thanks a lot man, now I can fasboot with my ubuntu 64!!!!

Schyz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the file, fastboot was removed from last Android SDK (r08).
Tags
fastboot, linux 64