Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 39,575 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question about radio and service

Tip us?

settlethestorm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Question about radio and service

Ok, so I've been using Eris Lightning 3.02 for a long time now and I love it, BUT, recently my service has been weak as hell (one or two bars) for the last month. I'm WAY to noob to be flashing radios cause apparently its one of the easiest ways to brick my phone, but I noticed when I flashed over to Aloysious Snow, that I was getting way better service. I don't want to switch Eris lightning, so is there any type of an easy fix for this issue, it should I just fond a Rom with a better radio? Any help would he mucho appreciated!

Sent from my Eris using XDA App

settlethestorm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Bump. I know someone has the answers I'm looking for.

Sent from my Eris using XDA App

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 794
None of the dev ROMs include a radio.

Largely because radio firmware comes out so infrequently, there is no reason to take the risk of flashing to replace the radio firmware with... wait for it ... the same version of radio firmware.

Check your Settings -> About phone -> Baseband Version. The latest is 2.42.01.04.27; it was shipped with the July 2010 OTA. If you have that, it's as good as it's going to get.

If you have an older radio, you can install this "update" package. It is a "no-wipe" install, as you might expect:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728529

Make sure your phone is "well charged" before you flash it - 100% charge is a good number to start with.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is quite rare for incremental updates to stable radio firmware to have any effect at all on reception, despite all the nonsense you see spewed on forums like this to the contrary.

And as for "Bars", there is absolutely no standard for what "1 Bar", "2 Bars", "3 Bars", or "4 Bars" is - a ROM provider can interpret the real-time signal data any way they damn well please to come up with a "Bars" to display on your phone. That's why you can switch from ROM to ROM and observe "more bars" - but your signal is no different (especially if the radio firmware didn't change, right?)

bftb0

settlethestorm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
now that was an awesome answer! Thank you very much coming forward and taking the time to explain that all to me, very appreciated AND informative. I flashed the radio.img, and sure enough, not much help at all as far as service. I should've realized the devs can make anything look like anything lol.

Sent from my Eris Lightning 3.02