Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[APP] [2.3 and EXTSD 5/13/2011] Disable Media Scanning on Boot & Scan Media on Demand

OP aditya_t90

13th August 2010, 08:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bombay
Thanks Meter: 43

175 posts
Donate to Me
More
[INTRO]
I noticed a large number of Android users wanted to STOP/DISABLE
the media scan at every boot, but still retain the ability to
Scan Media Files on demand.
My app allows just that.

[EXPLANATION]
The app works by killing/disabling/stopping the media scanner process at boot silently. This saves the total time till the phone is usable by about 20-30 seconds on some devices!

[REQUIREMENTS]
The new v2.3 app works on all android devices!! It even works with internal and external sd cards!

You need to have USB Debugging on. USB debugging,
WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR PHONE OR ANY OTHER APP IN ANY WAY AT ALL.

[QUESTIONS]

Does this app affect my ringtones/songs/apps?
This app cannot harm your phone at all and all your apps/ringtones/songs/* remain unaffected and everything can be undone. There are some rare ROMs that seem to have some issues with the app like ringtones not showing up.
You can fix this by going to Step X in the issues sub-section of this post.

So many versions which one to use for my device?
Everyone can use Rescan Media 2.3.apk
The older versions are there just in case someone needs them.

Why the new interface in v2.2??
People did not like an app that looked messy but functioned well.
The interface is now completely overhauled.

How will I scan for new items if I have disabled the scanner from your app?
When you add new media and the system does not show a change, you can open my app and the scan will take place automatically.

I'm stuck and this is the first time I have opened the app ever.
If for the first time you open my app and the app hangs at any stage, you have to type the following commands either in a terminal or in a adb shell only ONCE EVER. The commands are available to copy/paste in the app itself if you don't want to type/misspell such a complicated command.

Code:
su

pm enable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

Why do you need ROOT?
If you are afraid and ask why I need ROOT permission...

Android does not allow the user to start and stop mission critical services(or at least i believe so from my experimentation). Only ROOT is given such privileges.

My app does only the following two lines of shell code.
Try it if you want to in a terminal emulator or a adb shell, if your are skeptical .
Code:
su

pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

pm enable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

How long should everything take?
The entire process should complete before you can count to 20 Mississippi.

Can i get the app on the market?
Yes you can.
Just search for "Aditya" without the quotes in the Android market. there are two versions. One for Rooted devices and one for Non Rooted devices.

What happens if I uninstall the app after I'm done with it? a.k.a. Step X
If you are done with my app and want to uninstall it or you are facing any issues want to get the phone back to normal, execute the following commands in a terminal emulator or adb shell

Code:
su

Can I use the Non Rooted app in conjunction with the Rooted app?
Simply put No.
Once the media scanner is killed/stopped/disabled by the ROOT app, the non ROOT app will not be able to do anything.

Where can I find you?
If you have any more questions/suggestions/complaints/issues please don't hesitate to contact me here, or at my website or on my facebook. Search for "Aditya Talpade" on google and press I'm feeling lucky.

Humble Donation Request
I do not earn anything from the Android Market and create apps for the enrichment of the community and for the love of it.
If you enjoyed using this amazing app or any of my apps, please consider making a small donation here.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***
Update 5/13/2011
My app works 100% with the external as well as the internal card now!!!
Get the latest 2.3 version form the market!
Everyone can now use the 2.3 version!

Android Market Link

QR CODE
Last edited by aditya_t90; 12th July 2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: App update
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to aditya_t90 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2010, 08:40 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 113

948 posts
Neat stuff!. Thank you.
13th August 2010, 12:33 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

76 posts
More
better than Switchpro
I used switchpro widget "reload sdcard", it was the only way to see new imported pictures in gallery, or new music, etc. ( web saved or home filezilla ftp ) but i had the media scanning on start. long and boring process

With your app, and startup manager disabling media scanning, the widget didn't reload new pictures efficiently. Your app did it.

So, a big thanks. Now, it's "on demand". Very good work.
13th August 2010, 06:39 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bombay

175 posts
Donate to Me
More
For now you will have to keep usb debugging on our else it won't work.
Nothing ever bad will come of leaving it on.

I suppose most of those that have rooted will have left usb debugging on.

I put usb debugging on all the time coz I need to debug my apps all the time. Also incase my phone goes black or any odd issue arises, I can always use adb.
It's one of the first things I do after flashing roms.
I will sleep on this and try to get a solution soon.

I have noticed that it is not just my app but even all the terminal emulators that fail to enter that pm command even after giving it root permission, if usb debugging is off. O_o

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aditya_t90 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2010, 08:35 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 15

170 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_t90

For now you will have to keep usb debugging on our else it won't work.
Nothing ever bad will come of leaving it on.

I suppose most of those that have rooted will have left usb debugging on.

I put usb debugging on all the time coz I need to debug my apps all the time. Also incase my phone goes black or any odd issue arises, I can always use adb.
It's one of the first things I do after flashing roms.
I will sleep on this and try to get a solution soon.

I have noticed that it is not just my app but even all the terminal emulators that fail to enter that pm command even after giving it root permission, if usb debugging is off. O_o

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

No wonder it wasn't working when I went to work in the morning. Haha. So it was USB debugging issue.

That be abit of a headache since I mount my SD cards to transfer files and use wired tethering. Hopefully the reliance on USB debugging can be resolved someday
13th August 2010, 08:48 PM   |  #6  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 4

444 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystifiyer

No wonder it wasn't working when I went to work in the morning. Haha. So it was USB debugging issue.

That be abit of a headache since I mount my SD cards to transfer files and use wired tethering. Hopefully the reliance on USB debugging can be resolved someday

USB Debugging does not prevent you from doing any such things.

The only reason you would want it off is because there is a warning whenever you have it on.
The Following User Says Thank You to sturmeh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th August 2010, 12:20 AM   |  #7  
Flag Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 34

467 posts
More
searching in the market, all i see is Rescan Media, and not Rescan Media ROOT....
14th August 2010, 01:02 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 4

40 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftashok

searching in the market, all i see is Rescan Media, and not Rescan Media ROOT....

same here :/
14th August 2010, 04:20 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 15

170 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmeh

USB Debugging does not prevent you from doing any such things.

The only reason you would want it off is because there is a warning whenever you have it on.

I can offer no other explanation other than that by enabling USB Debugging, the app works.

I try entering the command in terminal but it didnt work. It works (or so I thought) is because when I entered the command, USB Debugging was enabled because I was using adb shell to execute. Seemingly it didnt work today because I was travelling around with USB Debugging off.

Strange but true. USB Debugging works.
14th August 2010, 05:51 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bombay

175 posts
Donate to Me
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftashok

I see your operator is AT&T. I'm taking a guess here and saying that they must be filtering apps.

No problem. I have attached the apk here in the first post.
Download it and be enjoy.

I have made some progress in the USB debugging issue but it looks bleak.
I will update this thread the instant I solve it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread