Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Fixing "Unknown reason 18" market error

OP Karolis

17th February 2011, 03:06 PM   |  #21  
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow
Thanks Meter: 8,230

9,621 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by watso4183

Yea...just this guys.
zero need to delete, move, etc.

So you would rather take out your SD card every time you install something that is giving you an error, instead of fixing the error by just deleting one file (/sdcard/.android_secure/smdl2tmp1.asec) one time?
18th February 2011, 12:32 AM   |  #22  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 316

2,221 posts
Can the asec file be deleted using the phone? I thought you had to connect to a PC to view the contents of the .android_secure folder?

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
18th February 2011, 01:16 AM   |  #23  
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow

9,621 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger-rat

Can the asec file be deleted using the phone? I thought you had to connect to a PC to view the contents of the .android_secure folder?

Works fine in a terminal emulator. Some file managers might work as well. No need to connect to a computer.

Sent from my Nexus One
18th February 2011, 01:48 AM   |  #24  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 316

2,221 posts
It can indeed be done from terminal (just tested). Thanks!

27th February 2011, 08:55 PM   |  #25  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 4

69 posts
More
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolis

So I was getting unknown reason 18 error when trying to install certain apps from the market.

I've googled and search the forum. The best answer I could get was to wipe and reinstall the ROM, which I did not want to do.

Then I checked the logs and figured out the problem was that all those apps that would fail were trying to install on SD card by default.

The solution: move all the apps back to phone, put your microSD into a card reader and delete .android_secure folder. That's it!

I tried everything else. Short of factory resetting my phone (cos that is never the option I prefer to choose). Nothing else worked. This did it!!!!

Happy DANCE!!! I rebooted after doing this, pulled battery, and re started. Boom! Works! Thank you so much. I did not have to remove the SD card. Just mounted it to my laptop and deleted the file that way. Woohoo!
1st March 2011, 06:39 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
If you just move the app you want to update back to the phone, you can update. Then just move back to SD.
1st March 2011, 06:43 PM   |  #27  
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow

9,621 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisquash

If you just move the app you want to update back to the phone, you can update. Then just move back to SD.

As has been stated earlier, you need to delete one file: /sdcard/.android_secure/smdl2tmp1.asec

If you do not, you will have to move each app you want to update back to the phone, then back to the sdcard. A bit of a pain in the butt, no? If you delete that one file, you are all set.
1st March 2011, 07:01 PM   |  #28  

3 posts
Thanks. I'll make the edit.

What is this file (smdl2tmp1.asec) used for and why
doesn't the system erase it when finished with it?
8th March 2011, 07:51 AM   |  #29  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 6

237 posts
My friend was having the same problem. We couldn't mfind an install folder or that file. Then he found Android Secure uner Astro and tried to delete it there but I don't think it worked. So if we plug the phone back up to pc and find Android Secure folder can we just delete it. On Astro it showed nothing in it. Is that file smdl2tmp1.asec file suppose to be in Android Secure folder? I don't have the problem with the error messages up apps not installing but he does and he doesn't have the space to move all to sd card then update and move again and he doesn't want to do it one by one.

Edit: My friend found the file and deleted it and his problem is fixed now. Once phone hooked up to PC Android secure folder showed files in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozer_kid

I can't find that folder/file! :S

Last edited by Rose4uKY; 8th March 2011 at 09:39 AM.
10th March 2011, 10:40 PM   |  #30  

1 posts
thx, deleted file: /sdcard/.android_secure/smdl2tmp1.asec via pc, htc desire updates now without problems!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread