Ask a question

No registration required

[HOW TO] Create custom hboot-flashable SPLASH1 images

OP deficitism

13th August 2010, 08:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 41

523 posts
This is a quick tutorial on creating your own custom splash1 image along with a flashable hboot package.

**Remember, in order to flash custom splash1 screens via hboot, you must have s-off via unrevoked forever.

***I take no responsibility for any damage you cause by performing any of these steps. They are for educational purposes only.

Before: After:

Tools You Need:
How-To:
  1. Download and extract the files linked above and place them somewhere familiar to you.
  2. In your image creation/manipulation tool, create a new image. Set the image size to 480x800. (If you already have an image in mind, open that and resize it)
  3. Create/modify/customize the image however you like.
  4. Save the image as splash1.bmp file. Ensure that you are saving the file as a 24bit RGB color bitmap. To make things easy, save the image in the same folder where you extracted the nbimg tool.
  5. Open a command or terminal window and CD to your nbimg folder.
  6. Type in the following command: nbimg -F splash1.bmp -w 480 -h 800
  7. If successful, nbimg should have created an nb file called 'splash1.bmp.nb'.
  8. Rename 'splash1.bmp.nb' to 'splash1.img'.
  9. Take your newly created splash1.img file and the 'android-info.txt' that you downloaded earlier, and place it in a new ZIP file called 'PB31IMG.zip'.
  10. Place your newly created PB31IMG.zip on the root of your SD card, and reboot to hboot. (adb reboot oem-42)
  11. If everything went smoothly, you should be prompted to install your custom splash1.

Enjoy!

PS: Here is the STOCK splash1, if you feel the need to revert back.
Last edited by deficitism; 16th August 2010 at 01:13 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to deficitism For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2010, 10:08 PM   |  #2  
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 21

49 posts
More
Thanks for posting this today! Exactly what I was hoping for.
The Following User Says Thank You to theotherrogue For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2010, 10:26 PM   |  #3  
Flag Boise, Idaho
Thanks Meter: 1,116

1,307 posts
More
Thank you for this, I tried to find this and found many alternatives but all were unsuccessful.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
13th August 2010, 11:35 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 62

223 posts
The app crashed for me on XP and Win7. The original thread states we have to have the -D switch which is the device id. Is this true? If so, what is the incredibles id?

Code:
NBH arguments:      (only when converting from BMP to NBH)
   -D <model_id>    Generate NBH with specified Model ID (mandatory)
   -S <chunksize>   NBH SignMaxChunkSize (64 or 1024)
   -T <type>        NBH header type, this is typically 0x600 or 0x601
13th August 2010, 11:38 PM   |  #5  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 41

523 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalez

The app crashed for me on XP and Win7. The original thread states we have to have the -D switch which is the device id. Is this true? If so, what is the incredibles id?

Code:
NBH arguments:      (only when converting from BMP to NBH)
   -D <model_id>    Generate NBH with specified Model ID (mandatory)
   -S <chunksize>   NBH SignMaxChunkSize (64 or 1024)
   -T <type>        NBH header type, this is typically 0x600 or 0x601

No you do not need that. I created at least a dozen splash1's before posting this how-to. Never had to enter any switches, with the exception of -w -h.
13th August 2010, 11:44 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 45

220 posts
More
nbimg keeps crashing on me .. Win7 and also in XP Mode I will try on my laptop and see if it works there.

Photoshop CS5 wouldn't make my file 256 color so I saved it in 16bit mode then took it into paint and saved it as 256 color. Not sure if this is what is causing the problems or not.

Can this have images or just text maybe thats my problem.

Edit: same on my laptop Win7 and in XP mode on that too, I tried it with the -F switch and left off the -w and -h switches and had the same problem.

here is a link to my image
Last edited by fader01; 13th August 2010 at 11:53 PM.
13th August 2010, 11:54 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 7

142 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fader01

nbimg keeps crashing on me .. Win7 and also in XP Mode I will try on my laptop and see if it works there.

Photoshop CS5 wouldn't make my file 256 color so I saved it in 16bit mode then took it into paint and saved it as 256 color. Not sure if this is what is causing the problems or not.

Can this have images or just text maybe thats my problem.

Edit: same on my laptop Win7 and in XP mode on that too, I tried it with the -F switch and left off the -w and -h switches and had the same problem.

here is a link to my image

Just to be clear you are using the program in command prompt right? Just double clicking it wont do anything
13th August 2010, 11:58 PM   |  #8  
Flag Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 2

108 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris61292

Just to be clear you are using the program in command prompt right? Just double clicking it wont do anything

No man i think hes on to something. I had the same problem. opened up command, pasted the exact command, pressed enter. The program began, things were working, and then a small pop-up window comes up saying program not responding, then it waits, and then it says "Program stopped working" and gives you a button to close.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
14th August 2010, 12:09 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 7

142 posts
C:\Users\Chris\Downloads\nbimg-1.1win32>nbimg -F splash1.bmp -w 480 -h 800
=== nbimg v1.1
=== Convert NB <--> BMP splash screens
=== (c)2008 Pau Oliva - pof @ xda-developers

[] File: splash1.bmp
[] No padding added. Check file size.
[] Encoding: splash1.bmp.nb
[] Image dimensions: 480x800

I get nbimg has stopped working, and a splash1.bmp.nb is created that is 0 bytes
Windows Ultimate 64
14th August 2010, 12:10 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

74 posts
awesome... worked great!!!! thanks man..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread