You may or may not know me, however I have secretly been working behind the scenes with ChiefzReloaded to learn how Android works. Together we have been trying to develop new ways to root the Slide, primarily because we both landed in a sticky situation that left us both without root and without a way to revert to root.
After many long hours of trying to restore my phone, I have now ported the exploid exploit to the MyTouch Slide! This means that you can gain root on any version of the Slide, INCLUDING the latest OTA! However, this isn't necessarily "easy" as in the One-Click Root program, but there are reasons for this. While Android is running we cannot write to /system and even if we force Linux to let us, the NAND protection will prevent Linux from completing the write!
To get started, please see the bottom of this post for the link and download it. You will want to download it to your computer and not your phone's SD card. Also, you will need the tools from the Android SDK. I would suggest extracting the file from my zip at the bottom of this page into the Android SDK's tools directory.
- Extract the zip
- Make sure your phone is in USB debugging mode AND you are in "Charge Only" mode.
- Connect your phone to your computer.
- Make sure you're in the same directory as where exploid is extracted before continuing to the next step.
- Issue the following command: adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals. Note: It MUST be in that directory - NO exceptions.
- Run: adb shell
- Run: cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
- Run: chmod 0755 exploid
- Run: ./exploid
- Toggle your phone's Wifi (on or off, however you wish to do that).
- Now (again) run: ./exploid (if prompted for a password enter: secretlol)
- The next line should now begin with a pound (#) - if not, then something isn't setup right. Make sure to follow the directions verbatim. If you suspect you did follow them correctly, please reply to this post letting me know.
- You should now be root! At this point you can do many things, but if you're looking to flash a custom ROM, continue to these instructions:
Steps 1-12 are intended to get you the ability to flash mtd0.img (which previously required using the SimpleRoot method) by gaining root inside of Android. By following the instructions in the rest of this section, it will allow you to flash a ROM or S-OFF your device:
- The files you need are at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=703076- download both files linked in there (ESPRIMG.zip and SlideEng-package.zip)
- Extract the contents of SlideEng-package.zip to a place of your choosing on your computer.
- Place the entire (unextracted) ESPRIMG.zip on your SDcard.
- Now push the files 'flash_image' and 'mtd0.img' that you just extracted from SlideEng-package.zip to /data/local using 'adb push'. (Noob? Instead of using 'adb push', install Droid Explorer and, using that utility, copy the 'flash_image' and 'mtd0.img' files to /data/local on your Slide)
Now I'm going to assume your phone is at root prompt (#) using steps 1-12. So now do (without typing the '#' symbols in front of both lines - they're just there to remind you that you need to be at a '#' prompt):
# cd /data/local # chmod 04755 flash_image # ./flash_image misc mtd0.img
- Now turn off the phone.
- Then press Volume-Down + Power.
- The phone will power on and after about 5 minutes of verifying ESPRIMG.zip it will ask you if you want to flash it.
- Press Volume-Up for 'YES' and wait until it finishes (ABSOLUTELY DO NOT POWER DOWN WHILE IT'S STILL FLASHING!!!).
Optional: Now that you're rooted you might want to disable all flash memory protections so you can permanently flash Clockworkmod (recovery - no more using an update.zip!) as well as other random things. Check here for details: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=798168
CREDIT GOES TO:[*] ChiefzReloaded! (For helping me learn the intricacies of Android and patiently answering all of my questions)[*] 743C (For developing the original exploit)
Source code: (Yes, it's hackish. I was just trying to figure out why the system kept rebooting and haven't cleaned up the code since) download
(Some people may wonder why this is special compared to the One Click Root application. What's important is that One Click Root doesn't work on Slides running production/retail software, likely the same problem I had to fix to get exploid to work in my version.)