Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[*WORKING*] **Ubuntu on Vibrant** UPDATE:11/05/10

OP jzero88

14th August 2010, 06:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orange County
Thanks Meter: 159

1,178 posts
More
UPDATE: So here is the link to a better version of Ubuntu running on your Vibrant. I do not have much time yet to edit the original post, but take a look at the this. You should be able to get it to work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=823370

OLD:

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE!! YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Ok, so for those who like to push the limits with their phones I don't think it gets better then this

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to making this possible. We had gotten a lot of good posts.

But a big thanks goes out to danielmid84, he provided me with the link http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-h...us-oneandroid/ and a custom modified script to work with our phones, thank you!!

UBUNTU on Vibrant

INSTRUCTIONS

Prerequisites:

Root
Latest version of BusyBox
Android SDK ( and knowledge of how to use the tools, adb shell, etc... )
Understanding of Linux commands ( but not necessary )

Files needed are located here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FALJFT3L
BootUbuntu script modded by danielmid84 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1282503588 NOTE: This file replaces the BootUbuntu file located in the archive above.
VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Step 1:

Connect your phone to the computer and mount your internal storage sdcard (Not your external sdcard).

Step 2:

Now create a new folder under sdcard named "ubuntu" for instance "/sdcard/ubuntu/" and copy ALL of the files in the "ubuntu.zip" archive over to this newly created folder EXCEPT the BootUbuntu file. You will be copying over the BootUbuntu file over from the additional BootUbuntu file link provided above.

Step 3:

Now that we have all of the files in place, make sure to "Turn off USB storage" on your phone to be able t access the SD card from ADB Shell. Also make sure your "USB Debugging Mode" is check under "Settings>Applications>Developement".

Step 4:

We are going to want a windows terminal open and we are going to "cd" into your "/tools" folder, wherever that may be located. For example " cd c:\android\sdk\tools".
Once you are in the "tools" folder, issue this command "adb shell". And for linux users, you will be issuing the command as "./adb shell".

Step 5:

Once you are in ADB Shell, you should see a "#" symbol now.
You are then going to type "su" to enter superuser mode.

Step 6:

We are going to cd into the ubuntu folder by issuing the command "cd /sdcard/ubuntu".
Now that we are located in "/sdcard/ubuntu" we will issue the command "sh ./ubuntu.sh"
This command only needs to be entered once, or if you ever change the file "bootubuntu".

Step 7:

Once that is completed, issue the command "bootubuntu".
If you get the "localhost" prompt, you have just successfully installed UBUNTU onto your Vibrant. Congratulations!!!

Now mind you, this is not with a Graphical User Interface yet and but you can access the power of Linux and Ubuntu by using a Terminal Emulator.

But if you want a running Graphical User Interface to play with, keep in mind that is uses a lot of memory and continue reading and I will have that updated here shortly.

Step 8:

We are now going to install a GUI.
While still being in Ubuntu with the "localhost" prompt, issue the command "apt-get update".
Then issue the command "apt-get install tightvncserver".

Step 9:

Once that is complete, you are going to want to issue the command "apt-get install lxde". This will take a few minutes so let it do its thing.

Step 10:

Next we are going to type:

"export USER=root" then
"vncserver -geometry 1024x800" but you can change the display size to what you prefer.

You will be asked to set a password at this time for login.

Step 11:

Next we are going to add the following commands to /root/.vnc/xstartup.

Now type:

"cat > /root/.vnc/xstartup" it will seem like it is hanging after you push enter, but it is only waiting for additional input. So continue by entering
"#!/bin/sh"
"xrdb $HOME/.Xresources"
"xsetroot -solid grey"
"icewm &"
"lxsession"

Then hit Ctrl+D twice and Enter key.

Step 12:

Now open the Android VNC app on your phone with "localhost" as "address" and "5901" as "port". Enter your password as well and connect!! You will now have a GUI for your Ubuntu!

REMEMBER: EACH TIME YOU WANT TO LOGIN TO YOUR UBUNTU, YOU DON'T NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER. YOU CAN USE TERMINAL EMULATOR.

This is only for full phone reboots to set up Ubuntu again.

Start Terminal Emulator and cd into "/sdcard/ubuntu"
Then issue these commands:

"su"
"export USER=root"
"vncserver -geometry 1024x800"

and you should be able to log back into the GUI with Android VNC again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bootubuntu.zip - [Click for QR Code] (731 Bytes, 810 views)
Last edited by jzero88; 6th November 2010 at 06:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jzero88 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th August 2010, 12:06 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orange County
Thanks Meter: 159

1,178 posts
More
I'm surprised that not one person is interested in this...
15th August 2010, 08:39 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 627

3,361 posts
Donate to Me
More
I think debian on the vibrant would be sick!
sadly I don't dev
15th August 2010, 08:42 AM   |  #4  
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 175

1,809 posts
Donate to Me
More
Can I ask what "debain" is? For all of us new guys..

Sent from my Vibrant using XDA App..
Typos/Nonsense due to Swype!
Stock Root + RyanZA LagFix + Captive Camera MOD
15th August 2010, 08:48 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 6,064

14,155 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjusttim

Can I ask what "debain" is? For all of us new guys..

Google is your best friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian
15th August 2010, 08:48 AM   |  #6  
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 21

366 posts
More
yeah man, I'm pretty surprised too that no one else is interested in this! I would love to see debian get ported to work on our phones :)

For those who are asking, debian is a version of desktop Linux. When it works on our phones, it will essentially allow you to do almost anything you can normally do on a desktop computer. :)
15th August 2010, 09:24 AM   |  #7  
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 175

1,809 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the link! This looks luke it would be amazing.. I hope we can eventually get this...

15th August 2010, 12:16 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 17

453 posts
post videos.
psmitty7373
15th August 2010, 04:24 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekyfrogy

It will essentially allow you to do almost anything you can normally do on a desktop computer. :)

You mean, it'll allow you to do almost anything you can normally do on a tiny format linux desktop computer :P
15th August 2010, 04:38 PM   |  #10  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 69

1,343 posts
More
It's all good and dandy, someone has ported Ubuntu to N1 back in a day, but the question remains:
Why would you want to run a full fledge Linux OS on your phone?
I am a linux user, and have been for quite some time, I do enjoy it on my work laptop with 14.1" of real estate, but I fail to see a huge benefit of running a complete OS on the phone.
And before everyone starts with "you know android is linux" I know that, and it is stripped down linux OS for portable devices like phones, etc. It is as good as it gets, and suits the portable device market well.
Please feel free to address my question:
Why would you want to run a full fledge Linux OS on your phone?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread