Wow guys. Great stuff.
Just got it working on my stock Sim-free (unlocked) Dell Streak bought from Dell
I had the same issue last night so was thinking of waiting for the official release.
I am not sure why are people going back to 1.6. Even this is Beta, it is way better than the original one.
It's snappy and everything works. I actually liked the new keyboard. Also, Swype starts working with no force closing.
I didn't have any issue with Market.
Anyways, for those who couldn't get this running on 00 model, I had to flash it to 21.
The only drawback is it now shows O2 logo (which is removable). Its still unlocked as I am using it on 3 Australia.
Apart from what everyone has quoted here on getting this running, I had to:
1. Flash the Koush's custom Recovery (Thread, Directlink)
2. Install the Modaco ROM using Recovery. You need to select Update.pkg which will start the custom recovery. In custom recovery screen, choose option to apply rom update.zip - I think 2nd option from the menu. (this changes the Model to 21) (Thread, Directlink)
3. Flash stock Recovery (Thread, Directlink)
Just place the .img file from here into the same folder as in step 1 and rename it to the .img file name there. Follow the same steps on how to install Recovery using fastboot.
4. Place 2.1 package from this thread and rename it to Update.pkg in root of SD
5. Install the 2.1 beta from Recovery (i.e. PowerOff, PowerON + VolUp + VolDown)
The first time it started, I logged into Google account via 3G rather than Wifi (it might have worked otherwise, I guess)
Everything worked. I didn't have much to back up except apps which I did through Astro File Manager (Free).
Multi-touch works on the games I tested so far. The system looks more stable. I also did a few test calls. I was running System Lite to view the apps/processes running in the background. I experienced better task management, may be thanks to Eclair.
I can find two minor bugs so far:
* Although I couldn't reproduce it after booting the device, my screen orientation stopped changing automatically (May be caused by some app)
* You can't drag apps from the drop-down application list to the Home screen. (Work around is to add it directly from the Home using Short-cuts > Applications)
EDIT: Just updated some links for people who don't know their way arounds.
Please let me know if you need more help, with step by step guidance. I personally thinks it's not needed as everything is in these threads.
Android is a Linux-based operating system, but this fact doesn’t put … more
21 Sep 2014
By Tomek Kondrat
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?