PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS MOD.
***Even tho it is impossible to brick your phone when flashing this i still highly recommend you UNDERSTAND what you are attempting to do before you do it. If someone explains you are freeing up internal memory from other places not using it and you still have to ask what the benefit is, then you obvisouly dont fully understand the mod and your phone and should turn away now.***
Now onto the mod: Heres a quick description of what this mod is doing. Pretend your phone is a pizza cut into 3 even pieces. Each piece is memory for /cache, /system, /data. Your aneroxic sister "aka cache" doesnt eat a lot so most of her slice will always be left, your fat obese brother "/data" always eats his whole slice and is left wanting more. You are healthy "/system" and only eat what you need and never less never more.
What this mod is doing is taking that original pizza and RECUTTING the slices to better fit whos eating them, so since your aneroxic sister barely eats and your obese brother is always hungry it takes all the extra pizza "aka memory" from your sister and gives it to your brother. As for you "aka /system" you only eat exactly what you need "aka the size of the rom and files it install" so it resizes your own slice to exactly the number it needs to install the rom and its gapps/files and leaves you with just a little wiggle room.
That being said, i tried this on my buddies CDMA Hero that i rooted for him and it worked like a charm. he went from something around 170mb internal storage to around 350+mb internal storage while on CM6 - Froyo 2.2.
***One thing i noticed when using a hero CDMA is that adb is crucial. one of the steps after flashing the recovery file is to reboot back into recovery and i noticed it was impossible to do it the right way without plugging your phone in and using ADB***
Original Files and Instructions: Firerats Original G1/MT3G thread found here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=717874
After you read thru firerats original instructions just know that itll be slightly different on your hero!
1. Click on the link i posted above and download these files: FR-recovery-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip and FR-boot-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip
2. Put both those files onto your SDCard.
3. While in your SDCard, make a .txt file named "mtdpartmap.txt"
4. Open your new mtdpartmap.txt file and...
- If you are using CM6 then type
Code:mtd 102 2
- If you are using a larger Sense Rom like Fresh or ZenHero then type5. Once all 3 files are saved on the root of your SDCard, reboot your phone into recovery
Code:mtd 182 4
6. Format/Wipe your system and cache.
7. Flash the file: FR-recovery-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip
8. Once the file is done flashing, itll prompt you to wipe cache, system, and dalvik again.
9. Once its wiped, plug ur phone in and pull up command to adb reboot recovery (if you try to reboot into recovery any other way itll mess up the partitions and ull get cache memory.log errors and that will mean the mod didnt work correctly) by using this
adb shell reboot recovery
11. Flash CM6 if you used 102 for /system or Flash your larger Sense Rom if you used 182 for /system
12. Optionally, flash any kernal you may be choosing to use
13. Flash the file: FR-boot-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip
14. Click the top option on your recovery menu to reboot your system.
15. Once your system is fully booted you can go into menu > settings > sd card and internal storage , and check all the new added internal memory you have.
FYI : anytime you flash a new rom after this mod, or flash a new kernal to a currently flashed rom, you will ONLY NEED TO FLASH THE SECONDARY FIRERAT BOOT file named "FR-boot-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip".
so say after this mod you want to try a new kernal, you flash the kernal, flash boot, and reboot the system.
or say you want to flash a new cm6 nightly update, you flash the new rom/update, flash boot, reboot.
or say u want a new nightly and a new kernal, you flash the nightly, flash the kernal, flash the boot, reboot.
its very simple, if anything u flash overwrites current kernal specifications, u need to flash the boot file to make sure it knows how to set itself up. this goes for nandroid back ups aswell.
Fine Tweaking/Trouble Shooting: To get the most space you possibly can do go into adb or terminal and type
So if you are getting an error while trying to flash a rom after doing this modification you most likely dont have enough /system space and will want to up your value to something more then enough like "mtd 200 4" then run the above code and re-scale down back to 2mb over what the current rom is using.
Enjoy CDMA users!!!