5,600,234 Members 36,647 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][RECOVERY] Firerat's Custom MTD Partitions (resize Data,System and Cache)

Tip us?

Foo_Blyat
Old
(Last edited by Foo_Blyat; 28th November 2010 at 01:59 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default [MOD][RECOVERY] Firerat's Custom MTD Partitions (resize Data,System and Cache)

If you dont understand what this Modification is doing, why it needs to be done, or what possible benefits come from it, then...

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS MOD.

Quote:
***Even tho it is impossible to brick your phone when flashing this i still highly recommend you UNDERSTAND what you are attempting to do before you do it. If someone explains you are freeing up internal memory from other places not using it and you still have to ask what the benefit is, then you obvisouly dont fully understand the mod and your phone and should turn away now.***

Thank You.

Now onto the mod: Heres a quick description of what this mod is doing. Pretend your phone is a pizza cut into 3 even pieces. Each piece is memory for /cache, /system, /data. Your aneroxic sister "aka cache" doesnt eat a lot so most of her slice will always be left, your fat obese brother "/data" always eats his whole slice and is left wanting more. You are healthy "/system" and only eat what you need and never less never more.

What this mod is doing is taking that original pizza and RECUTTING the slices to better fit whos eating them, so since your aneroxic sister barely eats and your obese brother is always hungry it takes all the extra pizza "aka memory" from your sister and gives it to your brother. As for you "aka /system" you only eat exactly what you need "aka the size of the rom and files it install" so it resizes your own slice to exactly the number it needs to install the rom and its gapps/files and leaves you with just a little wiggle room.

That being said, i tried this on my buddies CDMA Hero that i rooted for him and it worked like a charm. he went from something around 170mb internal storage to around 350+mb internal storage while on CM6 - Froyo 2.2.

***One thing i noticed when using a hero CDMA is that adb is crucial. one of the steps after flashing the recovery file is to reboot back into recovery and i noticed it was impossible to do it the right way without plugging your phone in and using ADB***

Original Files and Instructions: Firerats Original G1/MT3G thread found here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=717874

After you read thru firerats original instructions just know that itll be slightly different on your hero!

1. Click on the link i posted above and download these files: FR-recovery-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip and FR-boot-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip

2. Put both those files onto your SDCard.

3. While in your SDCard, make a .txt file named "mtdpartmap.txt"

4. Open your new mtdpartmap.txt file and...
- If you are using CM6 then type
Code:
mtd 102 2
- If you are using a larger Sense Rom like Fresh or ZenHero then type
Code:
mtd 182 4
5. Once all 3 files are saved on the root of your SDCard, reboot your phone into recovery

6. Format/Wipe your system and cache.

7. Flash the file: FR-recovery-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip

8. Once the file is done flashing, itll prompt you to wipe cache, system, and dalvik again.

9. Once its wiped, plug ur phone in and pull up command to adb reboot recovery (if you try to reboot into recovery any other way itll mess up the partitions and ull get cache memory.log errors and that will mean the mod didnt work correctly) by using this
Code:
adb shell
reboot recovery
10. if you did step 9 correctly, then youll get back to your recovery menu and itll say "formatting cache..." at the bottom of your screen but your recovery menu is instantly able to be used and you dont have to wait. ***On the newest version i think it no longer says this and your just got to go***

11. Flash CM6 if you used 102 for /system or Flash your larger Sense Rom if you used 182 for /system

12. Optionally, flash any kernal you may be choosing to use

13. Flash the file: FR-boot-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip

14. Click the top option on your recovery menu to reboot your system.

15. Once your system is fully booted you can go into menu > settings > sd card and internal storage , and check all the new added internal memory you have.

FYI : anytime you flash a new rom after this mod, or flash a new kernal to a currently flashed rom, you will ONLY NEED TO FLASH THE SECONDARY FIRERAT BOOT file named "FR-boot-v1.5.3-CustomMTD_S.zip".

so say after this mod you want to try a new kernal, you flash the kernal, flash boot, and reboot the system.

or say you want to flash a new cm6 nightly update, you flash the new rom/update, flash boot, reboot.

or say u want a new nightly and a new kernal, you flash the nightly, flash the kernal, flash the boot, reboot.

its very simple, if anything u flash overwrites current kernal specifications, u need to flash the boot file to make sure it knows how to set itself up. this goes for nandroid back ups aswell.

Fine Tweaking/Trouble Shooting: To get the most space you possibly can do go into adb or terminal and type
Code:
df -h
and it'll tell you what % you are using on your system. if you are at 60% then you can go ahead and decrease your /system value in your mtdpartmap.txt to about 2mb over the value it says you are using. so if your rom uses 115mb of /system you can change your mtd to "mtd 117 2".

So if you are getting an error while trying to flash a rom after doing this modification you most likely dont have enough /system space and will want to up your value to something more then enough like "mtd 200 4" then run the above code and re-scale down back to 2mb over what the current rom is using.

Enjoy CDMA users!!!
Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE

SPL : xxxx
Radio : xxxx
Recovery : Root coming soon
Rom : ^^^^
Mods : ^^^^
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Foo_Blyat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tailsthecat3
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Not sure if Ill try this personally, but thank you.

Foo_Blyat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsthecat3 View Post
Not sure if Ill try this personally, but thank you.
Trust me, well worth it. At first i thought it was amazing gains on the g1 and mytouch, but after being the first person in the world to try it on the Sprint Hero CDMA the benefits blow all passed expectations out of the water.

It nearly doubled my buddies internal memory.

i remember on his stock rom with a handful of his favorite apps he was at around 40mb internal memory. after i rooted his phone and flashed FRESH HERO onto his phone with apps2sd he had around 150, now with this mod-cm6-apps2sd hes got over 300.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE

SPL : xxxx
Radio : xxxx
Recovery : Root coming soon
Rom : ^^^^
Mods : ^^^^

Sputnikk23
Old
Thanks Meter 109
my win7 drivers are goofy and sometimes won't do adb when its in recovery mode. if you screw up the restart part - ie: can't get into adb to reboot by typing the command and those messages appear - is the device bricked or anything? Is it a one-time? Recoverable? etc...

hunterd13
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thank you for the info. i was down to bout 20 mbs free and now well over 100. kept running into problems until i changed the cache size to a little bigger. i had a spare hero to experiment with so alls good.

SammyM00782
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Skeptical...idk why. I don't wanna risk bricking yet another Hero I guess.

oldjackbob
Old
Thanks Meter 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyM00782 View Post
Skeptical...idk why. I don't wanna risk bricking yet another Hero I guess.
Can you please enlighten us as to how you bricked your Hero?

danaff37
Old
Thanks Meter 753
I've been thinking about trying this. I hate having 80+ mb free in system that I can't use. Would love to just add it to /data
Those who think linux is free, must not value their time.

zenulator
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
This won't brick your hero. The only way you can brick it is by flashing the wrong bootloader or radio. This does none of these.
The Following User Says Thank You to zenulator For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Big-O-Devil
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Hey has anyone tried this on a different rom..

The Following User Says Thank You to Big-O-Devil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]