Unfortunately android, to be precisely wpa_supplicant does not show ad-hoc networks, the following modified wpa_supplicant shows them, haven't seen it before so I posted it .
all credits go to szym (http://szym.net/android/adhoc-wpa-supp.html)
The patch below modifies the wpa_supplicant code in the external/wpa_supplicant AOSP repo to make ad-hoc networks appear as regular APs with a (*) prefix.
* removes the [IBSS] flag from scan results,
* masquerades and demasquerades ad-hoc ssid with (*) prefix
* sets mode 1 (ad-hoc) if the ssid is for IBSS
* permits the supplicant to select an IBSS when associating to a given ssid
The only thing I did was to apply the patch compile it for froyo and supply a signed update zip with the modified wpa_supplicant, work was done by szym.
Flash the attached wpa_adhoc-signed.zip in recovery and your done .
a3e00f284ddff04804ba8d59364712b1 wpa_adhoc-signed.zip (v0.5.11)
- Froyo/Eclair roms on HTC Hero (confirmed)
- roms using wpa_supplicant v0.5.x
- It _seems_ like some rom using wpa_supplicant v0.6.x do not work! take care (e.g HTC Desire). Please report back.
you may check this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=24
Always do a nandroid backup!!