Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,386 Members 51,945 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide][ALL DEVICES]ROOT + flash custom recovery + fix perfected spl [27 JAN 2012]

Tip us?

mumilover
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
try to issue the following command:
fastboot oem rebootRUU

It may help your device flash the nbh file!
If I was helpful or you liked my tools, please remember to DONATE and/or hit that "Thanks" button.
APK(s) Installer tool
HTC Magic: 4 easy steps ROOT guide
Fastboot Commander v.1.51
Fastboot Commander(HTC magic version)
The Following User Says Thank You to mumilover For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Electic
Old
(Last edited by Electic; 13th March 2012 at 06:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
You the man! It worked. Thanks Kindly. Now to continue with recovery!

Thanks alot man, a beer will be winging its way to you soon!

Edit:

All done! Thanks alot, man! Really couldnt have done it without ya. Now to pick her a ROM.

mumilover
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
You had a good fight; and you were patient...
It was my pleasure :0)
If I was helpful or you liked my tools, please remember to DONATE and/or hit that "Thanks" button.
APK(s) Installer tool

Mickyyy
Old
(Last edited by Mickyyy; 18th March 2012 at 10:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
I need a bit of help. I'm trying to root but cannot get it.

I have a 32a radio 2.22.28.25 hboot 1.23.0013.

Using superoneclick it tells me I am already rooted. However I cannot get anything requiring root access to receive privileges. Nothing in su app signifying anything is even trying. Also receive an error in terminal when requesting su.

I've tried to unroot and reroot to no avail. Universal androot won't work. Tried in recovery mode and fastboot.

Currently my phone is my internet source so I can't install adb either.

Need some help because I'm confused!

Edit: older version of super one click worked. Version 1.9

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mickyyy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mawtin
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Cleanest, easiest to follow guide.
What's the difference between S-OFF and S-ON?

mumilover
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
s-off you get access to secured commands... like flash, erase ect...
You got almost unlimited control over the device
APK(s) Installer tool

acseazzu
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I currently have hboot 1.33.0013d and was wondering on a way to get the eng SPL and can I use tvall's cm7?

fbihawk
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default all sorts of issues

Just got an unlocked mytouch 3g from my sister and been trying to unlock, root and load a custom recovery on it. I've tried multiple methods and nothing seems to be working quite right.

I have a 32a chipset with a 2.22 radio

I have 2.2.1 software so I used the SuperOneClick root method. Everytime I use it though the software seems to freeze up. I don't know if it got through all it's steps or not but when I use rootchecker it says it is rooted. I didn't have superuser on the phone so I downloaded it from market and it says the same. However, it says my su binary is out of date and can't verify the md5sum of the new download.

Back to this method, when i try and push the new recovery image to the phone it says
"failed to copy 'C:\roottools\3.22Radio\recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G.img' to '/sdcard' : is a directory"

I did the not so cool method and turned on the usb storage and just copied the file to the root of my sdcard. (also, oddly enough, if I transfer the file to /sdcard/dcim or some other folder on the card it works fine)

As you would guess, I didn't have flash_image in my shell so I went to step 9

when i go through the steps I get to the end and it says "error writing recovery: permission denied"

I've also tried to install clockworkmod recovery and it flashes fine but it won't ever take me to it.

In the end, I obviously have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I do, however, know I have usb debugging on. This is my second android phone I've rooted so I'm not a complete noob...still pretty close though.

Thanks!

ScriptJunkie
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Other way to solve the not sticking custom recovery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumilover View Post
About the recovery issue (This is only on SOME systems!):
In /system/recovery.img there is a full copy of everything that is loaded on the recovery partition. This file is automatically flashed onto the recovery partition every time you shut down. That means two things: 1. Any changes you make directly to the recovery partition gets blown away on reboot and 2. If you want to change the recovery partition you're probably better off just sticking the image in /system/recovery.img and rebooting.

So to fix this problem you have to rename the custom recovery file to:
recovery.img
then make sure it's on /system/recovery.img.
Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mv /sdcard/recovery.img /system/recovery.img
This will make sure that you have the custom recovery on every boot.

OR

you could delete the file located on: /system/etc/install-recovery.sh which is responsible for flashing the stock image
Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
Others who don't have this problem, please ignore the above :0)
Thanks for the post. Almost all worked perfectly.

I have a 32B board with the 2.2.1 Froyo and 1.33.0013 SPL. I rooted through SuperOneClick smoothly, but the custom recovery wouldn't stick. So I tried the first method (quoted on top) to solve it. It didn't work. And I don't like to erase stock files, like the second method suggest.

So, I looked around the files in the /system/etc/ folder, and it turns out that you can just modify install-recovery.sh very easily. Just replace the part where it says /system/recovery-from-boot.p (at the end of one of the lines, all the way to the right, after a long series of numbers) by /system/recovery.img. So every time you shut down your system is pointed to the custom recovery. And, if you want to go back to the stock recovery, you only need to change back the line and reboot.

ScriptJunkie
Old
(Last edited by ScriptJunkie; 25th April 2012 at 11:08 PM.) Reason: missing info
Thanks Meter 4
Unhappy ENG SPL

Every time I try to change my SPL to an engineering one I soft-brick my phone, and I have to flash the 1.5 android SAPPIMG.nbh image to get it back. I followed the steps to the letter, but to get the custom recovery image I used the previous post to get the custom recovery image (so I wouldn't have to delete install-recovery.sh).

Help, please. What can I do?

This is my phone info after I install all the updates to get it to Froyo 2.2.1:

Code:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32B SHIP S-ON G
HBOOT-1.33.0013 (SAPP30000)
CPLD-10
RADIO-2.22.27.08
Oct 21 2009,22:33:27
I root it, install custom recovery and flash ENG SPL without errors. I shut down and power up again (I tried rebooting too), but it gets stuck on the green splash screen of myTouch 3G. I waited over 10 min, and nothing. I pull out the battery and boot into fastboot and it changed the SPL alright, SHIP->ENG, S-ON->S-OFF, and G->H. I also still have access to the custom recovery, but it won't start.

Code:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32B ENG S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.33.2010 (SAPP30000)
CPLD-10
RADIO-2.22.27.08
Jun 2 2009,17:27:03