[Q] How do I start Galaxy S in safe mode?

Search This thread

bbanzai

Aug 18, 2010
Hi,
my Galaxy S GT-i9000 got into force close loop and I am now stuck after Android boot. Before performing a hard reset (and spending a week setting up the phone and apps again) I would like to try with safe mode: unfortunately I was so far unable to find how to get into safe mode on it.

Anybody could help? Thank you.

BB

M AzeeM K

Mar 9, 2009
I don't remember there being a Safe Mode. Although you can go to Download Mode and flash a new firmware. It should fix the problem you're having.

mickeko

Jun 30, 2010
Stockholm
There is a safe mode. I've unintentionally ended up in it a few times. I have no clue how to get there willingly though.

Edit: That was easy... Just power on the phone while holding the menu button, just as on a bunch of other android phones.

Sent from my personal Dis-organizer GT-I9000

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717

bbanzai

Aug 18, 2010
There is a safe mode. I've unintentionally ended up in it a few times. I have no clue how to get there willingly though.

Edit: That was easy... Just power on the phone while holding the menu button, just as on a bunch of other android phones.

Thanks for the suggestion. With menu button you mean the left-most one, right? I tried this already and seemed to have no effect. I will try again a few times.

BB

bbanzai

Aug 18, 2010
look at recovery mode

Thank you. I already checked I can get to the recovery mode menu, but I understand this would reset everything on the phone, including personal settings and third party apps. I am looking for a way to avoid this, if at all possible: all I need to do is uninstall a looping application.

BB

bbanzai

Aug 18, 2010
Ok I found it. For some reason on my Galaxy safe mode is entered by pressing

Menu+Home+Power On

Thank you everybody for your help, the phone is in good shape again now.

BB

mickeko

Jun 30, 2010
Stockholm
Ok I found it. For some reason on my Galaxy safe mode is entered by pressing

Menu+Home+Power On

Thank you everybody for your help, the phone is in good shape again now.

BB

Perhaps they've changed it in newer firmware. I hope so, it annoys me when I end up there unintentionally.

mickeko

Jun 30, 2010
Stockholm
Seems random to me... Sometimes I get safe mode by doing a jig and perform some weird wicca rituals. ;)

TMReuffurth

Aug 3, 2009
Aljezur
Today i restartet my SGS and on the reboot i swyped the Display over my T-Shirt to clean the screen. Even before the Pin-Input showed up, in the left bottom corner i had "safe mode" written. As my intention was not to go into this mode i restartet again.
After this, my widgets didn´t work anymore, so i had to take them of the screen and put them again. And all my well sortet apps in the menu are now unsorted.
But no big deal.

TMReuffurth

Aug 3, 2009
Aljezur
Finally i found out how to go into the Safe-Mode every time you need.

As soon as you start your SGS you have to press for a half a second constantly the left Softkey, meaning don´t have it pressed all the time, but touching it every half a second. When coming to the Pin-Input you cann stop it and you will see on the left bottom corner Safe-Mode!

Very usefull if a third-party Launcher or Widget makes some trouble.

TMReuffurth

Aug 3, 2009
Aljezur
i tried it, it didn't work

Which firmware are you on?

Really? tried it 3 times now and every time i was able to get in. I´m on 2.1 I9000XXJF5

You have to touch the button as soon as the screen shows the Samsung Logo, even when the Softkey only will light up 2-3 seconds after the Power on!

I´ve taken a photo. As my Phone is in german it shows not Safe mode but sichere Modus. But it is the same.

Attachments

• DSCF2029.jpg
    DSCF2029.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 597
Last edited: