MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

[APP] SGS Screen Changer

19th August 2010, 04:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 216

190 posts
I've created an app that does what "socket84" was talking here on the forum ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=734151 ), which basically is a way to change the default home screen when the user presses the Home button. This works with a hidden setting from TouchWiz. I posted it on Market with the name "SGS Screen Changer".

NOTE: You'll ROOT and BusyBox for the app to be able to do it's work.

http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com....so.samsunghsc/

I've only tested it with the European, Samsung Galaxy S so far.

I've tested with various different firmwares ( JM2, JG5, JM6, JM7 and JM8 ) and it's working ok. Also I've coded a backup mechanism in case things don't work as expected, and later you can restore the file to it's initial state, from the the restore button within the app, or manually by issuing the command "cp /system/default.propBackup /system/default.prop", but verify first that you have the backup file.

> Doesn't work on Froyo yet! The configuration files have changed in those releases, and I've not fixed it yet.

Also, it would be great if people could post the contents of their "/system/default.prop" file in here, along with their firmware number, so I can fix it for different non functioning firmwares. Thanks

Let me know if you've any questions, and all feedback it's appreciated. Also remember this is the first public version, so don't expect it to look pretty, I've focused on functionality and correctness first.

Change-log:

Beta 2 ( 20-08-2010) :
* Bugfixes
* Fixed screen numbering as reported by Limality ( thanks )

Beta 1 ( 18-8-2010 ) : First release

IMPORTANT NOTE: Everyone who had installed the first beta should update it from the Market and set the screen to whichever they want, even if the app did work to them before. People who said it wasn't working, and the ones who said it didn't leave the 4th screen should update and select the screen they want and reboot. All those problems should be fixed in this release. I'll be waiting for further feedback on those ones to confirm if this solved their problems
Last edited by pedrodh; 19th September 2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: updated info
19th August 2010, 07:01 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

70 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrodh

I've created an app that does what "socket89" was talking here on the forum ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=734151 ), which basically is a way to change the default home screen when the user presses the Home button. This works with a hidden setting from TouchWiz. I posted it on Market with the name "SGS Screen Changer".

NOTE: You'll ROOT and BusyBox for the app to be able to do it's work.

http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com....so.samsunghsc/

I've only tested it with the European, Samsung Galaxy S so far, but I'm guessing it will work on the American version as well, but I would apreciate feedback on that.

I've tested with two different firmwares ( JM2 and JG5 ) and it's working ok, but I'll probably work for every new firmware out there. Also I've coded a backup mechanism in case things don't work as expected, and later you can restore the file to it's initial state, from the the restore button within the app.

Let me know if you've any questions, and all feedback it's appreciated. Also remember this is the first public version, so don't expect it to look pretty, I've focused on functionality and correctness first.

tested! working. great job. dont need any nice UI. this will do (:
19th August 2010, 07:09 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 49

900 posts
More
tested with rooted JM5.

not configurable. always get me to screen 4 despite setting it to screen 3 or so on.
"Restore to original settings" doesn't work after reboot it's still screen 4.

Any ideas?

Note: screen 4 is only good for 7-screens SGS. since I've 5 screens I want to make default screen 3

thanks in advance!
19th August 2010, 08:57 AM   |  #4  

163 posts
Sweet, thanks for this, will give it a ry now
19th August 2010, 09:56 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemagic

tested with rooted JM5.

not configurable. always get me to screen 4 despite setting it to screen 3 or so on.
"Restore to original settings" doesn't work after reboot it's still screen 4.

Any ideas?

Note: screen 4 is only good for 7-screens SGS. since I've 5 screens I want to make default screen 3

thanks in advance!

the settings to set the homescreen starts at 0 meaning that:

0 = Homescreen 1
1 = Homescreen 2
2 = Homescreen 3
3 = Homescreen 4
4 = Homescreen 5

etc...
19th August 2010, 10:15 AM   |  #6  

163 posts
Not working here on JG4 Aussie firmware
19th August 2010, 11:06 AM   |  #7  

900 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limality

the settings to set the homescreen starts at 0 meaning that:

0 = Homescreen 1
1 = Homescreen 2
2 = Homescreen 3
3 = Homescreen 4
4 = Homescreen 5

etc...

Regardless what I set (tried homescreen 1,2,3,4..) still when pressing "HOME" button it takes me to screen 4...
19th August 2010, 11:30 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 40

646 posts
nice app!
might wanna just add 1 to all the screen numbers just so everyone gets it .
starting at 0 while the numbers shown in touchwiz are starting at 1, is kinda weird
\
so screen 0 = 1 and screen 1 = 2

edit: hmm not working here either on JM5 always gives the last screen as home screen, if i do it myself it works..
Last edited by tommy34; 19th August 2010 at 11:36 AM.
19th August 2010, 11:34 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 8

234 posts
Not work with DXJG4
Maybe "One click lag fix 2.3" could be a cause ?
19th August 2010, 11:41 AM   |  #10  

900 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy34

edit: hmm not working here either on JM5 always gives the last screen as home screen, if i do it myself it works..

cool....mind to share how did you "do it yourself"?

thanks~

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread