[Q] Hardware problem...how to un-root

Search This thread

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have a friend. We rooted her phone. All was well but apparently, somehow, the usb port on her phone got damaged (not b/c of software) and now the phone won't charge. She wants to send it for repair but she is paranoid since we rooted it that they won't fix it. She'd like me to un-root it. So here's my question:

I installed cyanogen's rom. Is it possible to update to Sprint's "official" 2.2 straight from that rom? Will accepting Sprint's update automatically un-root it, or is there a more complicated process needed?

Thanks!

deviouskater

Jun 11, 2010
I believe all you have to do I
Is run the stock ruu program which is run from your computer connected by usb look for it in the developers thread

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

nenn

Apr 28, 2010
New York City
I believe all you have to do I
Is run the stock ruu program which is run from your computer connected by usb look for it in the developers thread

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

with out the ability to use usb (if it doesnt work for charging, does it connect to the pc and get recognized?) you cant run the ruu.

however, if you run the OTA update. from home->settings->system updates, you should be able to query for update, not sure which, so try them all!

the OTA breaks root and removes recovery (please someone correct me if im wrong), bringing it back to stock.

you could always just brick it *shrug*

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
with out the ability to use usb (if it doesnt work for charging, does it connect to the pc and get recognized?) you cant run the ruu.

however, if you run the OTA update. from home->settings->system updates, you should be able to query for update, not sure which, so try them all!

the OTA breaks root and removes recovery (please someone correct me if im wrong), bringing it back to stock.

you could always just brick it *shrug*

Thanks for noticing that I can't plug it in USB. My concern about your post is the last line, "you could always brick it." Do you mean that if I try to update, it may brick b/c it was rooted? If it's bricked will the fact it was rooted or not come into question with repair place, or will they know it was rooted?

Thanks again.

nenn

Apr 28, 2010
New York City
Thanks for noticing that I can't plug it in USB. My concern about your post is the last line, "you could always brick it." Do you mean that if I try to update, it may brick b/c it was rooted? If it's bricked will the fact it was rooted or not come into question with repair place, or will they know it was rooted?

Thanks again.

meaning, you can brick it on purpose :D i have no idea if they can find out if you rooted it, or if the repair service would even care. theyre not the claims department, soooooooooooooooooooooo.

theres a thread there in q&a or general about someone who returned(attempted to) a phone because "the ota bricked it"

nebenezer

Dec 2, 2009
If I were your friend I would download a 2.1 rom right from the phone, use a file exploere to move it to the root of the sdcard, flash the 2.1 rom then do the official 2.2 ota update.

The only problem with this is if you can't charge it then I hope you can get it done by the time her battery dies.. however, if the battery dies and you can't charge it enough to finish this then what is Sprint gonna do anyways.

Actually I think that might be a real option. If you can't charge the phone just run it down till it dies and then take it in. They wont be able to power it on and see that it's rooted anyways..

nenn

Apr 28, 2010
New York City
If I were your friend I would download a 2.1 rom right from the phone, use a file exploere to move it to the root of the sdcard, flash the 2.1 rom then do the official 2.2 ota update.

The only problem with this is if you can't charge it then I hope you can get it done by the time her battery dies.. however, if the battery dies and you can't charge it enough to finish this then what is Sprint gonna do anyways.

Actually I think that might be a real option. If you can't charge the phone just run it down till it dies and then take it in. They wont be able to power it on and see that it's rooted anyways..

its not hard to swap out a battery for a test.

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

This forum has the best people, I swear. I can put my battery in her phone. I like your idea. I actually have a backup in her phone of the stock rooted rom. So, if I flash back to it, do you think I can just download the official update and become "un-rooted"?

thanks.

ksperrye

Aug 6, 2010
Mine is NOT ROOTED & at day 21 the USB port &/or cable went buggy immediately after I purchased & used a car charger from the Sprint store (employee insisted it was the "correct" charger for EVO after telling me NOT to use my Palm Pre chargers & cables even though the ports were the same....he said the Pre equipment xfrd a diff current or wattage. Who knows if that's bad info or not, btw .)

The problem started off as totally non-functioning for charge, pc sync, et all, then after using the Sprint car charger exclusively for several days - just to be able to use the EVO at all- & freaking out about it to Sprint Tech Support & at the store, it just suddenly started charging if I touched or bent it a certain way, like it had a short or bad connection.

Next, I visited a Sprint repair store & they just reset the "USB debugging" option to ENABLE/ON (again) & then the USB cable would work for pc sync and sometimes charge as well.

After 6 weeks I'm left with having to ditch the wall outlet adapter plug from the orig box, put a cig lighter/USB plug from my iTouch on it & plug it into a cig lighter wall plug adapter to charge at home in the wall.

I'm pretty tech savvy & I still can't tell if it's a software issue with the cable or the EVO port, or a physical issue with the cable or the port, or some combo of all 4 options. I love my EVO so I adapted & moved on, but definitely logged my complaint loudly with Sprint, insisting they extend my 30 days until the issue is 100% resolved.

I hope that my experience solves your own mystery.

Sent from my EVO 4G - HTC SuperSonic

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Ok, so I restored the 2.1 backup, checked for update, downloaded update. When I hit install, it went into recovery. Half way through installation, I got the little android with an exclamation mark. It just sat there for 5 to 10 minutes (saw a progress bar before this but it stopped halfway through). I pulled the battery and turned the phone back on. Thank God, it's not bricked but I don't know why the update stopped halfway through. I did install the newest radios when I flashed cyanogen's rom and I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it not completing installation. I'm wondering if I should install an older radio and try again.

Any ideas?