Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,730 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] edenBeats Binaural Beat Generator v1.3.0 [10/06]

Tip us?

cicada
Old
(Last edited by cicada; 7th October 2010 at 06:56 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 149

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] edenBeats Binaural Beat Generator v1.3.0 [10/06]

Sorry that timers didn't make the cut this round guys, I think I've figured out a good way to implement it, and it's certainly my next milestone in the project!

-----

edenBeats is a realtime, multi-track binaural beat generator.

Available on the android market, QR and link below!
This is my first android application, so please don't hesitate to tell me flat out 'yer doin' it wrong!' or give suggestions on how I can improve the app or app flow.

I thought this would be a neat first-go at android development, something light and fun but a little challenging, and I've learned quite a bit over the last couple of weeks developing it.

Binaural beats are a phenomenon created when two slightly different frequency tones are supplied to each ear. Your brain simulates the interference patterns you would normally hear if the tones mixed in the air ( think tuning a musical instrument, this is a monaural beat ), creating a virtual interference pattern.

Binaural beats are said to stimulate hemisphere-synchronization as the two lobes of your brain work together to mix the sounds, entraining your brain waves to match the interference (beat) pattern frequency. The effects are said to be drug-like, I tend to find a pleasing, low-frequency beat to be a great meditation aid. Try mixing several tracks with different frequencies, or many tracks at the same frequency to accentuate the beat pattern.

Again, this app is meant to be used with stereo headphones.

[Updated 10/06 to v1.3.0]
v1.1.1 - added a white noise generator.
v1.1.2 - accidentally deleted everything.
v1.1.3 - amazingly, recovered everything.
v1.1.4 - added volume controls!
v1.1.5 - added auto pause/resume during calls
v1.2.0 - interface cleanup, added white/pink/brown noise options
v1.3.0 - save & load*! presets! new help docs, several bug fixes and new frequency controls

* - saved playlists are stored in /sdcard/com.edencomputing.edenBeats

Download edenBeats:

market://search?q=pname:com.edencomputing.edenBeats

Most recent .apk attached below.

More info about binaural beats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwave_synchronization
Attached Files
File Type: apk edenBeats-1.3.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.26 MB, 933 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to cicada For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ultimahitzu
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Nice, I remember messing around with I-doser a couple years ago. I actually liked it. I'll give this one a shot, thanks.

cicada
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 149

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for checking it out

I haven't implemented any 'white noise' or anythign like that yet, just the binaural beat tracks.

I've been starting it up and then playing some light mood music over the top of it, pretty relaxing.

bennettm89
Old
(Last edited by bennettm89; 19th August 2010 at 06:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
Looking for testers!

edenBeats is a realtime, multi-track binaural beat generator.

This is my first android application, so please don't hesitate to tell me flat out 'yer doin' it wrong!' or give suggestions on how I can improve the app or app flow.

I thought this would be a neat first-go at android development, something light and fun but a little challenging, and I've learned quite a bit over the last couple of weeks developing it.

Binaural beats are a phenomenon created when two slightly different frequency tones are supplied to each ear. Your brain simulates the interference patterns you would normally hear if the tones mixed in the air ( think tuning a musical instrument, this is a monaural beat ), creating a virtual interference pattern.

Binaural beats are said to stimulate hemisphere-synchronization as the two lobes of your brain work together to mix the sounds, entraining your brain waves to match the interference (beat) pattern frequency. The effects are said to be drug-like, I tend to find a pleasing, low-frequency beat to be a great meditation aid. Try mixing several tracks with different frequencies, or many tracks at the same frequency to accentuate the beat pattern.

I'd like to get any major bugs worked out before releasing on the market, so I greatly appreciate anyone who wants to test this out and give some feedback!

edenBeats is ADMOB supported, I may release a 'donate' version to get rid of the ads as well.

Again, this app is meant to be used with stereo headphones.

APK attached.

I read a story about these "binaural beats" on slashdot not too long ago... maybe a couple months. I am definitely interested in testing it but I don't know that I have a pair of stereo headphones that are compatible for my nexus... . I have a pair of tritons for my xbox 360 slim though! Got any suggestions for headphone use?

edit: scratch the headphones. I ordered some. Definitely going to give this a shot.

Edit2: scratch that scratch. Stocks are stereo. Will play with and report back after work!
Device History:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Current)
Google Nexus One (Alarm & Wireless Media Device)
T-mobile HTC G1 (Boxed-up paper-weight)

cicada
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 149

DONATE TO ME
Yeah, any stereo headphones should do as long as there's really seperation between the channels. Some cheaper earbuds I've had mostly seperate the channels, but there's some leak between them.

Basically, if you start it up, set a beat frequency and listen to just one channel ( just left, or just right ), you should only hear a single tone with no 'beating'. If you hear the beating in just one ear, your headphones are leaking audio between the channels.

bennettm89
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
Yeah, any stereo headphones should do as long as there's really seperation between the channels. Some cheaper earbuds I've had mostly seperate the channels, but there's some leak between them.

Basically, if you start it up, set a beat frequency and listen to just one channel ( just left, or just right ), you should only hear a single tone with no 'beating'. If you hear the beating in just one ear, your headphones are leaking audio between the channels.
Very good advice. It's funny because I work with stereo seperation every day at work...visually, however .

I am most interested in the theta wave emission during sleep. Do you happen to know the precise values for each track to trigger this?

bennettm89
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
I have found one thing that is slightly inconvenient.. Setting values. Maybe add scroll left and right arrows for fine tuning?

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
Device History:

cicada
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 149

DONATE TO ME
Heh, not sure there's much in the way of 'precise' when it comes to binaural beats, seems like experience differs from person to person (no surprise), so experimentation will find the right values for you.

If this app takes off at all, I plan to include saving and restoring tracks so you can reload a group of tracks you've liked before.

To pseudo answer your question, Theta waves range from ~4Hz to ~7Hz, I've found that a low frequency base tone ( ~60-100Hz ) is the most relaxing in that beat range if the tone is solo. Once I add in white-noise it won't matter much which base frequency is used.

bennettm89
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
hmm... how do you add white noise?

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
Device History:

cicada
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 149

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettm89 View Post
hmm... how do you add white noise?
Programmatically, unfortunately, I plan to add it into the next version. No white noise in this one.