[APP] edenBeats Binaural Beat Generator v1.3.0 [10/06]

Search This thread

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Sorry that timers didn't make the cut this round guys, I think I've figured out a good way to implement it, and it's certainly my next milestone in the project!

-----

edenBeats is a realtime, multi-track binaural beat generator.

Available on the android market, QR and link below!

This is my first android application, so please don't hesitate to tell me flat out 'yer doin' it wrong!' or give suggestions on how I can improve the app or app flow.

I thought this would be a neat first-go at android development, something light and fun but a little challenging, and I've learned quite a bit over the last couple of weeks developing it.

Binaural beats are a phenomenon created when two slightly different frequency tones are supplied to each ear. Your brain simulates the interference patterns you would normally hear if the tones mixed in the air ( think tuning a musical instrument, this is a monaural beat ), creating a virtual interference pattern.

Binaural beats are said to stimulate hemisphere-synchronization as the two lobes of your brain work together to mix the sounds, entraining your brain waves to match the interference (beat) pattern frequency. The effects are said to be drug-like, I tend to find a pleasing, low-frequency beat to be a great meditation aid. Try mixing several tracks with different frequencies, or many tracks at the same frequency to accentuate the beat pattern.

Again, this app is meant to be used with stereo headphones.

[Updated 10/06 to v1.3.0]
v1.1.1 - added a white noise generator.
v1.1.2 - accidentally deleted everything.
v1.1.3 - amazingly, recovered everything.
v1.1.4 - added volume controls!
v1.1.5 - added auto pause/resume during calls
v1.2.0 - interface cleanup, added white/pink/brown noise options
v1.3.0 - save & load*! presets! new help docs, several bug fixes and new frequency controls

* - saved playlists are stored in /sdcard/com.edencomputing.edenBeats

Download edenBeats:

chart

market://search?q=pname:com.edencomputing.edenBeats

Most recent .apk attached below.

More info about binaural beats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwave_synchronization

Attachments

• edenBeats-1.3.0.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,654
Last edited:
Reactions: Slick_JayD

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Thanks for checking it out :)

I haven't implemented any 'white noise' or anythign like that yet, just the binaural beat tracks.

I've been starting it up and then playing some light mood music over the top of it, pretty relaxing.

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
Looking for testers!

This is my first android application, so please don't hesitate to tell me flat out 'yer doin' it wrong!' or give suggestions on how I can improve the app or app flow.

I thought this would be a neat first-go at android development, something light and fun but a little challenging, and I've learned quite a bit over the last couple of weeks developing it.

Binaural beats are a phenomenon created when two slightly different frequency tones are supplied to each ear. Your brain simulates the interference patterns you would normally hear if the tones mixed in the air ( think tuning a musical instrument, this is a monaural beat ), creating a virtual interference pattern.

Binaural beats are said to stimulate hemisphere-synchronization as the two lobes of your brain work together to mix the sounds, entraining your brain waves to match the interference (beat) pattern frequency. The effects are said to be drug-like, I tend to find a pleasing, low-frequency beat to be a great meditation aid. Try mixing several tracks with different frequencies, or many tracks at the same frequency to accentuate the beat pattern.

I'd like to get any major bugs worked out before releasing on the market, so I greatly appreciate anyone who wants to test this out and give some feedback!

edenBeats is ADMOB supported, I may release a 'donate' version to get rid of the ads as well.

APK attached.

I read a story about these "binaural beats" on slashdot not too long ago... maybe a couple months. I am definitely interested in testing it but I don't know that I have a pair of stereo headphones that are compatible for my nexus... :(. I have a pair of tritons for my xbox 360 slim though! Got any suggestions for headphone use?

edit: scratch the headphones. I ordered some. Definitely going to give this a shot.

Edit2: scratch that scratch. Stocks are stereo. Will play with and report back after work!

Last edited:

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, any stereo headphones should do as long as there's really seperation between the channels. Some cheaper earbuds I've had mostly seperate the channels, but there's some leak between them.

Basically, if you start it up, set a beat frequency and listen to just one channel ( just left, or just right ), you should only hear a single tone with no 'beating'. If you hear the beating in just one ear, your headphones are leaking audio between the channels.

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
Yeah, any stereo headphones should do as long as there's really seperation between the channels. Some cheaper earbuds I've had mostly seperate the channels, but there's some leak between them.

Basically, if you start it up, set a beat frequency and listen to just one channel ( just left, or just right ), you should only hear a single tone with no 'beating'. If you hear the beating in just one ear, your headphones are leaking audio between the channels.

Very good advice. It's funny because I work with stereo seperation every day at work...visually, however ;).

I am most interested in the theta wave emission during sleep. Do you happen to know the precise values for each track to trigger this?

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
I have found one thing that is slightly inconvenient.. Setting values. Maybe add scroll left and right arrows for fine tuning?

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Heh, not sure there's much in the way of 'precise' when it comes to binaural beats, seems like experience differs from person to person (no surprise), so experimentation will find the right values for you.

If this app takes off at all, I plan to include saving and restoring tracks so you can reload a group of tracks you've liked before.

To pseudo answer your question, Theta waves range from ~4Hz to ~7Hz, I've found that a low frequency base tone ( ~60-100Hz ) is the most relaxing in that beat range if the tone is solo. Once I add in white-noise it won't matter much which base frequency is used.

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
Ugh.. So I don''t know where to start.

About 3 AM EST I decided to fall asleep. Set up two tracks, one at about 95 / 4 hz and one at about 85 / 6 hz. It was easy enough to fall asleep to. But waking up hurt... Bad. I still have a headache and I'm not sure what the reason could be except either the volume was too loud or the fact that there was no "white noise". Above all others, it didn't seem to work. If this is a process that occurs over time, then I understand and I'll shut my mouth haha. I'm curious in what I could be doing wrong.

ultimahitzu

Aug 19, 2010
Fresno, CA
In my experience with binaural beats, the only bad experience I have had was a headache because it looped for hours in my sleep. That is probably the same thing you experienced. Excuse me if there is one already, but maybe a timer can be implemented somehow. Most premade sounds (i.e. from i-doser or similar) end after a specific amount of time.

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
I can probably implement a timer of some kind.

It's been suggested for effectiveness the binaural beat should start at a frequency close to your current dominant brainwave frequency. Eventually I'd also like to implement a smooth scaling from beat freq A to freq B over a set period of time, and possibly 'back out' again in the other direction to 'bring you back'. If I get enough love for this app it'll get there.

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you're playing with it :)

Edit: also, white-noise track is coming soon, just need to write the audio generator piece.

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
Kudos to you for developing it. I'll continue to play with it

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
So, I think I see where I messed up. I guess you're not supposed to play two tracks at the same time, huh?

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
So, I think I see where I messed up. I guess you're not supposed to play two tracks at the same time, huh?

Actually that was kind of the point of the app.. you should be able to run several tracks simultaneously.

The idea is that your brainwave frequencies are really a mix of delta, theta, alpha, beta and sometimes gamma waves, with the dominant frequencies dictating your current state of mind.

Multiple tracks at different frequencies would ideally be able to mimic this, entraining not just the dominant frequency but also the other harmonics as well.

It needs some work to work well, like frequency shifting overtime to make it easier for your brain to 'sync up', and amplitude control so you can dictate which frequency should be dominant.

I'd also like to implement some 'presets' eventually, so if you experimenters find a set of frequencies that works well for you, let me know :)

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
Actually that was kind of the point of the app.. you should be able to run several tracks simultaneously.

The idea is that your brainwave frequencies are really a mix of delta, theta, alpha, beta and sometimes gamma waves, with the dominant frequencies dictating your current state of mind.

Multiple tracks at different frequencies would ideally be able to mimic this, entraining not just the dominant frequency but also the other harmonics as well.

It needs some work to work well, like frequency shifting overtime to make it easier for your brain to 'sync up', and amplitude control so you can dictate which frequency should be dominant.

I'd also like to implement some 'presets' eventually, so if you experimenters find a set of frequencies that works well for you, let me know :)

INitially, that's what I thought, two tracks. Makes sense to use two.. but are they supposed to not be the same? I used two theta hertz-range frequences (~4 and ~6). I'll try others out tonight and post if it works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry that timers didn't make the cut this round guys, I think I've figured out a good way to implement it, and it's certainly my next milestone in the project!

-----

Available on the android market, QR and link below!

[Updated 10/06 to v1.3.0]
    v1.1.1 - added a white noise generator.
    v1.1.2 - accidentally deleted everything.
    v1.1.3 - amazingly, recovered everything.
    v1.1.4 - added volume controls!
    v1.1.5 - added auto pause/resume during calls
    v1.2.0 - interface cleanup, added white/pink/brown noise options
    v1.3.0 - save & load*! presets! new help docs, several bug fixes and new frequency controls

* - saved playlists are stored in /sdcard/com.edencomputing.edenBeats

Download edenBeats:

chart

market://search?q=pname:com.edencomputing.edenBeats

Most recent .apk attached below.

More info about binaural beats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwave_synchronization