Maybe someone can get this to work?
Tried to connect to to my WM Omnia via WMWiFiRouter- No Dice.
tried using wpa_supplicant file attched below- i can see and connect to ad hoc network(s), but can not establish IP --> copied to /system/bin
the apk and files below look more promising but perhaps need editing by someone who actually knows what they are doing. the app installs and runs but there is a location mismatch.
then ran across this info here: http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital...look-here.html
"Okay, I'm not taking 100% credit for this because all I did was modify the work that this user did:
'Originally Posted by YasinSiddiqui
NOTE: I'm using Rogerbraun Custom ROM 5.1 on Rockchip APAD, but I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work on the PDN too.
Finally figured this out.
Since the wpa_supplicant.conf file is read-only, an Android app can't modify the file. Hence, we were having to go back to connecting the APAD to the PC and use DroidExplorer to overwrite the wpa_supplicant file everytime we wanted to enable Adhoc Wifi.
I realized that when you upload a file to the APAD using DroidExplorer, it gets write permissions
And once you have the file with write permissions, an app CAN modify the file.
So, I've created a small app for easy switching between Normal and Ad-hoc wifi modes.
Here are the steps:
1. Step removed because the files were replaced (see below!)
2. Use DroidEXplorer to copy the 3 files: wpa_supplicant.conf, wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc and wpa_supplicant.conf.normal to /data/misc/wifi folder
3. Install AdhocAble.apk using any File Manager or even DroidExplorer
Now, start up adhoc wifi tethering on your phone (Barnacle Wifi Legacy on Android, JoikuSpot on Symbian, WMWifirouter on Windows Mobile, MyWi on IPhone etc.) and set the adhoc SSID to: adhocable with NO password.
Remember that you have to Turn wifi off and on everytime you switch modes.
For experts: How the app buttons work:
1. Switch to Ad-hoc Wifi Mode: Overwrite wpa_supplicant.conf with wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc
So if you want to change the adhoc SSID or give it a password, edit the wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc before copying it via Droidexplorer
2. Switch to Normal Wifi Mode: Overwrite wpa_supplicant.conf with wpa_supplicant.conf.normal
3. Backup Normal Settings: Overwrite wpa_supplicant.conf.normal with wpa_supplicant.conf
This allows you to avoid having to type the normal wifi passwords every time. But, remember not to use this button when you are in ad-hoc mode, otherwise you'll lose all your saved wifi passwords.
4. Do let us know: opens up an email compose window so that you can tell me whether you like the app or not. Do write your name, country and details of which devices and ROMs you have.
My modifications to these instructions are as follows:
Instead of the supplicant files supplied by the user above use mine
Also feel free to open "wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc" and change the SSID to whatever you want, i.e. I called mine "AndroidTether"
Also I didn't bother with any security because I'm just using the access control feature on my tethering program, I'm not sure if they all have this feature but basically, my phone tells me when someone is trying to connect and asks if I want to allow the connection before the device is assigned an IP.
1. download: "wpa_supplicant_files_WORKING.zip and unzip
1.1 Open "wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc" and edit SSID to whatever you want
2. place "wpa_supplicant.conf" , wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc & wpa_supplicant.conf.normal into the sdk's "tool" folder (where adb.exe is)
3. download "AdhocAble_apk.zip" and unzip
4. Place "AdhocAble.apk" into the sdk's "tool" folder (where adb.exe is)
5. Open the command prompt and get to the folder where your adb.exe iscd c:/where_your_sdk_is/tools
6. enter: " adb push wpa_supplicant.conf /data/misc/wifi "
7. enter: " adb push wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc /data/misc/wifi "
8. enter: enter: " adb push wpa_supplicant.conf.normal /data/misc/wifi "
9. check to see the files are there by entering " adb shell ls /data/misc/wifi "
10. install the apk, you can use my batch file to do this if you'd like here
11. unzip the file manager batch script and place it in the sdk's "tools" folder (where adb.exe is)
12. open the batch file (it should open a new cmd window)
13. select 2
14. select 1 (install an app)
15. it'll ask for the name of the apk. Enter " AdhocAble.apk " exactly, its case sensitive.
16. reboot the PDN
17. Start your cell phone tether and set the SSID to whatever you set in the .conf.adhoc file at the begining
18. Open up the AdhocAble app and select "backup your normal settings", this should save all of the remembered infrastructure network's SSIDs and passphrases
18.1 select Enable Adhoc, it will prompt you to make sure to turn your wifi connection off and back on.
19. Do so.
20. You should see your cell phone's SSID in the connection list (remember the SSID is hardcoded into the .conf.adhoc file so you have to set it to the same thing in the tether program or vice-versa.
21. If you don't see the tether connection enter it manually
To get back to infrastructure - simply open the app and select enable normal mode and turn the wifi off then back on again - after a short bit you should see the networks as usual. It might take a bit longer to obtain an IP, but it should work...if not reboot the PDN and try it again.