[APP] YAPT - Voice Messaging

Tip us?

mcnaz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [APP] YAPT - Voice Messaging

Hi XDAers

I am hoping this is the right place to announce my first Android app. If not then please do accept my apologies in advance.

YAPT is a simple & free voice messaging Android application that enables sending short voice messages from one YAPT user to another.

Its abit like Push to Talk and not like Push to Talk - for want of a better description . Its different from Push To Talk in that voice messages are handled like emails - so these are received in your YAPT inbox (with notifications) and can be replied to at your convenience.

I built YAPT because I love the idea of Push to Talk but find it inconvenient that anyone can contact me and my Android's speaker phone could burst into full volume at any instant.

Search for YAPT in the android market or visit yapt.net for more information and release notes.

Like I said, this is my first Android (and mobile phone application) so a few bits will be abit rough or might not work.

Any feedback or suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Finally, I hope someone finds this app useful .

mcnaz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi XDAers.

Sorry for replying to my own post .

Just a quick update to mention that the 1.1 version development is under way. Some features I hope might be useful:
  • Extend voice message limit length from 10 to 20 seconds
  • Ability to send images (might have to limit image size - 50k?)
  • Ability to send text messages
  • Improve contact listing - it is abit spartan ATM... add contact photo for example
  • Threaded message view

Other ideas greatly appreciated .

tdiman
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I think the #1 issue that would keep me from using this app more often is that it lacks push notifications. To truly be useful, it needs to be almost instantaneous, and 5 minute polling seems like it will take a toll on the battery. Although we'll try it out for a week or so and see what happens. I applaud the effort, as it does fill an unmet need.

Doesn't the android SDK have a push notification framework?

mcnaz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi tdiman.

Thanks for the feedback .

Quote:
Doesn't the android SDK have a push notification framework?
I would love to use Android's C2DM but unfortunately that is only available in Froyo, which makes it abit tricky as I am trying to support 1.6 <-> 2.2 devices ATM. There might be alternatives so I will investigate this so more.

Polling can be taken down to 30 seconds but that would stop the device from sleeping, which would drain the battery. Like you said, the default is to poll every 5 minutes which shouldn't wake the device up too often.

Cheers.

dlaciv12
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaz View Post
I would love to use Android's C2DM but unfortunately that is only available in Froyo, which makes it abit tricky as I am trying to support 1.6 <-> 2.2 devices ATM.
Cheers.
More than half of active Android devices are on 2.1 and it won't be long before 2.2 is the majority.
I think this has an amazing potential, keep up the good work.

mcnaz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi dlaciv12.

I think I found a possible solution to push notifications using IBM's MQTT protocol, which would work on 1.6 <-> 2.2 devices.

I am going to revisit this early-mid next week once I get the bulk of the 1.1 release done in the next few days. I'll either tag this onto the end of 1.1 or as the first feature of 1.2

Again, thank you both for the suggestions and the encouragement .

needoZ
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Do you have to use your cellphone number or can you use your Google Voice number?

mcnaz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi NeedoZ

Quote:
Do you have to use your cellphone number or can you use your Google Voice number?
That does depend on which number is used when someone wants to contact you. I live in the UK and haven't used Google Voice (we don't have it here).

Do they ring your Google Voice number, which then directs the call to your cellphone? If so then I would use the Google Voice number and not your cellphone number.

Currently there is no way to change your registered number - I am working on adding a "handset management" feature to the yapt.net website.

Cheers.

themuddler
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Push

To avoid having to poll, and for those who have push email setup on their phone already (eg with the gmail app), could you catch the arrival of new mail from the mail app rather than polling the server independently?

It's just an idea and I'm well out of my technical depth, but thought I'd put it forward. Feel free to shoot it down!

gogol
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Why can't you make an OPTION to have Android push (C2DM) technology for Android 2.2+ device?

Because at the end, most devices will be upgraded to 2.2 anyway.

If you just stick with the old polling method (or any other fancy IBM push thingy), your app would be outdated by then. I can imagine more and more app will move to Android C2DM.

Why not you BE THE FIRST to have this wonderful Android C2DM ... Certainly, your app will be the most talked about.

Imagine, easy to use voice messaging for Android which uses push technology!

Back to your app, how many voice messaging will user get per day?
For me? probably none 1 or 2 ... And I dont want my device to draw battery power by polling every 5 minutes just for that. User will be put-off and scared ... your app will not be popular.

So, make an option. A checkbox [ ] Use Android Push ...
Implement a nice and easy to use GUI ...

You will be the winner!

Believe me, BE THE FIRST ... be the first ....................................
Nexus 5 : Android 4.4.1 stock ROM, stock recovery, rooted

Tags
app