Reduce LCD Density Setting in Build.Prop For Higher Res Look

21st August 2010, 05:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 21

246 posts
More
Update: I installed Spare Parts, as mentioned by appelflap later in this thread, disabled compatibility mode, then followed the directions in this post, and I have a working status bar, good resolution, and in a better place in most cases.

Update: Check out appelflap's APK that makes this whole process a lot easier. Note that some users are reporting a black screen after using the file, so be prepared in case you have to use adb shell to put your original build.prop file in place. If you do not want to risk it, Notepad++ makes for an easy edit once you pull the file to your PC. If you have fallen prey to the black screen problem, lpsi2000 found a solution that uses an update.zip approach.

In the /system/build.prop file, I changed this line:

Quote:

ro.sf.lcd_density=240

to this:

Quote:

ro.sf.lcd_density=160

This is a setting that Google normally recommends if you have a larger screen (like Dell's Streak), but the side effect of using it on the 800x480 screen of the captivate is that everything is smaller.

With this, menus have smaller text (more options on screen), in-app buttons are smaller, and it just has the same feeling of being on a PC and moving from a low resolution LCD monitor to a high resolution LCD monitor.

There are a couple of glitches so far. It appears that some apps want to render in the previous resolution. For example, Skyfire and Root Explorer would not render in full screen, Android Market renders full screen but the search is in the old resolution, and the status bar is slightly garbled but still usable. Also, the dial pad is smaller (as you would expect showing a picture made for a low res display on a high res display) but the rest of the phone app is fine. The camera app fills the screen just like it did before.

With this setting, I really feel like I'm getting some use out of the high resolution display on this phone.

The apps that are rending in the low res mode of the original setting seem to be pulling their setting from somewhere else. Does anybody have an idea where that setting may be? After trying this, I can't imagine going back to what almost seems like an "accessibility mode".

I've only used LauncherPro with this setting, so no idea how the Samsung launcher looks. I attached screenshots of what some things look like. I can put some game screenshots in another post if anybody is interested. 3D games look sharper to me in this mode, but I have no scientific way of testing if it is because it is rendering in higher res or if my own excitement is clouding my vision.

Update: I suspect the missing setting is found in the /system.prop file. It has the ro.sf.lcd_density=240 setting. I tried changing it to 160, but it keeps going back to 240 after a reboot of the phone. Any ideas how to make this stick?

Warning:: TWLauncher does not play well with these changes. Make sure to have LauncherPro set up as your default launcher before trying this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LauncherPro Desktop View.jpg
Views:	7348
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	384825   Click image for larger version

Name:	high res market.jpg
Views:	5311
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	384826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Some apps not filling screen.jpg
Views:	5197
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	384828   Click image for larger version

Name:	High res settings.jpg
Views:	4934
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	384829   Click image for larger version

Name:	dialer numpad.jpg
Views:	4991
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	384832  

Name:	on a call.jpg
Views:	4506
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	384833   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera app looks good.jpg
Views:	4352
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	384834   Click image for larger version

Name:	search in market is odd.jpg
Views:	4161
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	384835  
Last edited by jdsemler; 23rd August 2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added High Res Screenshot Examples
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdsemler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2010, 06:09 AM   |  #2  
Flag Quad Cities, Illinois
Thanks Meter: 269

1,811 posts
More
So you're pulling it off the cappy then editing putting back....do you need to change permissions?
21st August 2010, 06:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin

246 posts
More
The way that I pulled it out to edit on my PC was with this:

Quote:

adb pull /system/build.prop

You will need root access in order to put the changed file back. What I did was

Quote:

adb push build.prop /sdcard

I then used Root Explorer to copy the build.prop from /sdcard to /system. I didn't change any permissions other than just copying the file and rebooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdsemler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2010, 06:38 AM   |  #4  

1,811 posts
More
Wow man that's pretty cool, it's got a few little glitches but nothing serious. One of the things I wish I could so though is make my Beautiful widgets clock go all the way across the top. I'm not sure if this is a placebo effect (I donno if that's possible since this should have nothing to do with it) but it seems like my soft buttons respond more often....I'm prolly nuts but it doesn't seem like I need to push....push...%$^&*^ PUSH.....and back to home.
21st August 2010, 06:56 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin

246 posts
More
I'm hoping someone will have a great idea on how to keep the /system.prop file from updating itself on boot. I'm thinking that if we can get the ro.sf.lcd_density=240 setting to stick to 160 after a reboot, that might fix the few instances where an app won't render full screen.

I've tried chmod 666 system.prop and chown root.root system.prop but it still gets returned to normal after rebooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdsemler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2010, 07:41 AM   |  #6  
Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 3,796

2,701 posts
Donate to Me
More
Wow I'm excited to test this out. Couldn't we get someone to code this into the startup script theoretically?

Edit: Tried it out. Really really nice. If only we could get the rest of the apps to work the right way... right res.
Last edited by kennethpenn; 21st August 2010 at 08:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kennethpenn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2010, 08:14 AM   |  #7  

1,811 posts
More
One thing also that's cool is in launcherpro you can add more columns to the drawer so you can fit an insane amount of apps on screen.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Clienterror For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2010, 11:55 AM   |  #8  

1,811 posts
More
Also out of curiosity, have you tried any other DPI like 200? Our does it need to be either or to keep it proportional?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Clienterror For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2010, 12:43 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 9

117 posts
Lower resolution works as well. Here are some comparisons. 160, 240, 320. 200, since someone asked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snap20100821_063827.jpg
Views:	2633
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	384996   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20100819_105814.jpg
Views:	2288
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	384997   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20100821_062925.jpg
Views:	2256
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	384998   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20100821_065224.jpg
Views:	2254
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	385007  
Last edited by darkfalz; 21st August 2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added picture for density of 200
The Following User Says Thank You to darkfalz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2010, 01:56 PM   |  #10  
Flag Alabama
Thanks Meter: 20

603 posts
More
wow, this could REALLY be nice.. Just need to fix everything, but like others have said no HUGE things that cause it to be unusable, but I would love to see everything correct.

The Following User Says Thank You to smeltn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread